Upcoming Labrum surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a torn labrum and I am set to have surgery next week. Anyone have any advice and what does the recovery look like? I'm really big into running so when will I be able to run again?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi TDub, well, your guess is as good as mine. smile  Depending on the severity of the tear, and whatever else the doc may find, will be a huge determining factor. The condition of your rotator cuff may also enter into play. Rotator cuffs take 6mo to a year to heal. I think a labrum may as well. That being said, it doesn't mean you can't run for a year. Be prepared to sleep in a recliner for a while. Seriously, you may have a lot of pain lying down. Take your meds as instructed after your surgery or you may regret it. Find out before hand exactly what you can do right after the surgery, as far as opening and closing your hand on the affected shoulder side, etc.,Obviously, the doc will know more after the procedure. Mri's only show so much. Have your tablet and phone, chargers, whatever you may need by your side so you don't have to get up and down so much right away. God bless you and your doctor. Hope your healing goes fast. keep us posted.

• Posted

Welcome to the world of shoulder surgery....it sucks!! 😁 I recommend reading my discussion that I posted a couple days ago. I went over my first shoulder surgery which was 11 months ago and now I have to do it all over again. A few of the important things I find important....

---spray deodorant: it's just easier

---tank tops and sweat pants: the easier it is to get on/off one handed the better.

---pillows, pillows, pillows: especially when sleeping but they will help you get comfortable

---get the shoulder block injection by anesthesia before going into the surgery room. It's weird because it makes your whole arm go numb for up to 24hours... it really helps with the post op pain but make sure you are taking your pain medication on schedule otherwise you will be hurting. I'm planning on doing it again.

---Expect to be at Physical Therapy at least 3 times a week for a good couple months at first. Do your home exercises too. The more you work at recovery the quicker it will be.

Don't expect anything to go fast when wearing the immobilizer.... even using the bathroom anywhere takes at least twice as long.

---I had issues with chafing due to the immobilizer so if you have problems use diaper rash cream. It helped a lot.

---Don't be afraid to go your hair stylist and ask if she would just wash and dry your hair for cheap. It's really hard at the beginning to do it yourself. It feels so good 😊

---cooking: simpler the better cause you won't be able to cut anything up.

---stool softener aka Metamucil,etc... I used the tasteless kind but your pain medication will make you constipated really bad so use this stuff to make it not so bad.

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Meowindjedi! Perfect! Couldn't have given any better advice. Except using a recliner initially for sleeping. IF you have that availabe to you. Throw some sheets , blankets on there! wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.