upcoming surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.  I will be having a left total knee replacement on Sept 1st.  Nervous but anxious to be able to function again.  Some of my concern is that my right knee also needs to be replaced and may make it difficult getting around with my new knee.  My doctor was quite honest with me about recovery, he said that I'll stop hating him around 8 weeks post-op.  Kind of gives me a time frame for recovery.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I hated mine for about 16 weeks but love him again now.

Yes it will be painf but you 'll get drugs for that and yes it may be a long old slog but it 'll be worth it in the end.

Some of us on this forum sail through it others take a while longer but we all have one thing in common a sense of humour. Hang on to yours and it will all fall into place good luck with the op and drop in from time to time to tell us your news or woes

• Posted

Hi there Deborah, welcome to the forum. We are a friendly lot here, and theres always someone around for a chat.

With regard to your upcoming TKR, the most important piece of advice I can give you is to make sure your leg muscles are as strong as possible prior to your surgery - it will make your recovery so much better. If you havent already started, I (and probably lots of others) can let you know the sort of thing you need to be doing.

I wont lie to you, if your other knee needs doing, it will complain about having to do all the work for the first few weeks - I'm in the same situation, had my right one done in March, and will be having the other one done in October or November. Again, ensuring that your muscles are as strong as possible will help. 

Everyone has different experiences with pain, but my advice is to medicate by the clock - dont wait for the pain to get its teeth into you, as it will be difficult to get it back under control.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - dehydrated tissues wont heal well.

REST - I cant emphasise how much resting is important - of course you have to balance this with your exercises, but your body will have been through a heck of a lot and will need to recouperate. TKR mantra - "Dont stand if you can sit, dont sit if you can lie down, and dont be awake if you can be asleep!". Keep this in mind for the first few weeks, nearly everyone struggles with sleep, especially in the early days, so rest/sleep whenever you can.

Thats probably enough info for me to fling at you for one night. Make sure you keep popping on here - no question is too silly to ask, and chances are its been asked by one of us before.

Take care

Terrixx

• Posted

Good luck Deborah...I'm sure it will go well. My 'good knee' isn't that good either but has been surprisingly ok to take the strain. I try to be as kind to it as possible and am extra careful about how I place my feet...which may sound funny but I don't want to twist it. I also ice it after a long day. Be sure to keep us up to date with how you're doing. Don't stress and even tho I have had some issues...the knee doesn't hurt which is a big thing. I am still not liking my surgeon...he has some 'splainin' to do, Lucy'
  • Posted

You may well hate him for longer! I'm 18 weeks po new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea (the bit behind it!). I'm disappointed because I'm suffering with muscle wastage and working hard to build it up so that I can walk properly. My unoperated knee has been "twanging" now for four days, which is how my other one started, so I've been very depressed as I don't think I could face having the other one done.....yet. It does make my walking very tentative as I'm frightened unoperated knee will "let me go".

Take on board everything everyone tells you on this forum......they are compassionate, helpful, make you laugh........and they save you from thinking you are the only one suffering.

I can't stress enough the need to take whatever medication is offered, even if you think you can manage without it, take it regularly, do the exercises (even though at first you'll wonder why you can't lift your foot off the bed.......you'll know what I mean the first time you try!!), rest and elevate, and most importanly ICE (I keep 2 medium sized bags of frozen peas in the freezer ready to use......BLISS!). Also remember to keep well hydrated and sleep when you feel you need to, never mind what time of day it is! 

If Old Fat Guy responds listen to EVERYTHING he tells you - he is one of the most calming and knowledgeable people I have ever come across.....and he's experienced more TKR than most of us can ever imagine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

hi deborah i agree you will hate him for some time !!! thats for sure we all did but like us all you will get there in the end  get those quads excersised from now till D day and you wll be glad you did it will help i wish you the very best
  • Posted

I'm 4 months  post op and my surgeon is still not one of my favourite people!  

No sense downplaying it the exercises are difficult at first.  Take your pain meds and lots of water 1 hour before and that will allow you to push yourself a little.  Concentrate on you and don't worry about the house.  The dust will still be there when you feel better or maybe you have great help.  My husband doesn't dust!!!!  I've been back to work a mth now and both knees hurt at the end of the day.  I will probably get the other one done next year.  Best of luck and log on here when you need to.  This site saved my sanity in the first few weeks.  Best of luck.

• Posted

Looks as if you have one of the few honest doctors!  Yes, I can imagine that if your left knee is also bad, it isn't going to be easy at all.  some people have both done at the same time, but I just can't imagine how one copes with that!  I suppose if both knees are really really bad, it's the only sensible option!  It is tough to begin with, but it will definitely be worth it in the end!  I'm now at six months, and if it were not for my dodgy ankles I would be totally mobile again . . Knee still a bit stiff, but so much better than before!

• Posted

I'm at roughly the same time frame as you had mine done in january.....can you kneel properly yet...I just can't do it!
    • Posted

I have to say I dont do it. . except sometimes on the bed when I'm getting in! I'm fortunately quite flexible, and generally avoid kneeling by bending  because I;ve heard it's not good for the prosthesis. . . I have used the method to stand on a chair though  without problems. . .Knee still clicks  . .does yours???Also still one painful point on the inside, which stops me getting any more bend (around 120) . . .  
    • Posted

My knee only makes a noise when I am going up stairs...well that's when I hear it...no sore bits but still completely numb on outer side of knee for about 8 inches...like pins and needles feels really weird...I'm still really tired too...when in earth does it all stop for goodness sake!
    • Posted

Yes, I'm still numb on outside of knee. . in fact, I didn't realise how totally numb it was until I tried touching it with a pen.  When you use your finger, of course, you feel the finger, not the knee!  Mine doesn't always click, but most of the time it does, and on the click there is a little discomfort, but not really pain thank heavens!  that one point on the inside of the knee, which really hurts if I gry to force the bend, has been there since day one. . . I think it's with me for ever!  And the tiredness!  I find myself longing for bed by about 9.30!  I really cannot understand how six months after the operation there can still be this effect . . . .a nd as it isn't only me, I have to think that it IS something to do with the op . . otherwise, I would think that it was just yet another symptom of getting old!  
    • Posted

I'm glad you are tired too....makes me feel better....I literally fall asleep by about 9ish then come to around 2am and go to bed...Every night this happens...thought it was due to being back at work but am now on 6 weeks holidays and I'm still like it...I used to stay up until about 11 or more and still get up at 7am work all day and not be tired....so yes it must be something to do with after effects...hopefully not for ever!!!
    • Posted

I'm 4 months  post op, back to work about a mth and I too fade at 9:30.  If I have to I can stay up I can but I'm shattered the next day.  Still wake up every 2 hrs or so to reposition my leg.  I try to keep it straight but it bends naturally while I sleep and stiffens up.  I hope when a year is up all this nonsense will have disappeared and life will get back to "normal" and then it will be time to have the other one done.....lol
    • Posted

KNEELING IS A NO NO im afraid you wont be doing that again its not recomended  its the one thing that is certain but some might try it  but not worth risking we have been through so much no point looking for trouble
    • Posted

hi martinavelo can i ask you as your from cannaries what is the weather like in your part of the world during october /november  ??   as i would like to get away for some heat before december i have not been away for 4yrs due to my dam knees .i hate the winter and find it very depressing and thought if i got away for a week or two it might shorten the winter ive been to lanzerotte before but some of my friends swear by porto-rico 
    • Posted

well, it is USUALLY very good, but having said that, if it's going to rain which is fairly rare, it will most likely be in November or February. Puerto rico is in Gran Canaria,(I/m in tenerife) but the weather is pretty much the same in  all the islands, although there are microclimates which mean that the north of every island is cooler and wetter than the south,   October is usually pretty darned hot . .   and a better bet than November, and not onlly for the heat, but for the  slightly longer days as well.  You will find both tenerife and Gran Canaria are MUCH more green than Lanzarote, which is pretty much a desert!  If you want nice hot weather, make sure you go to the south of whichever island you choose!  

• Posted

thanks so much ill keep all that in mind  ,i soooo need a break your so lucky living in a hot climate it has to help with healing this rotten wet windy and pretty cold summer has me fed up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.