UPCOMING THR SURGERY

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, I have just been given my date for the thr operation (15th Sept). Although I am happy to finally have a pain free hip I am a bit apprehensive about the post op recovery. Reading people's posts on here has been very helpful and reassuring but I know it's gonna be a long process. I am 46 and relatively fit (ish), I stopped smoking 5 months ago and feel much better for it so hopefully my recovery will be that little bit easier. I have been told I will be off work for up to 3 months, no driving for 6 weeks etc ( which will be the hardest part!). 

I would just like to say well done to everyone on their post op recovery and keep up the good work. It's nice to know that other people have been through what is ahead for me and to say how it has changed their lives. Good luck to everyone

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck Mark - you will be fine.  Slow and steady and do the exercises - these are so very important.biggrin
    • Posted

thanks for the encouragement, I will take it steady for the long term benefits. Great to read that you are doing well, keep it up.
  • Posted

Hi Mark

Welcome to this forum!

I think your giving up smoking is really good - I'd further suggest doing as much exercise as you can pre op to aid post op speedy recovery.

And, check out your worries here on this forum to. Which hospital are you being done at...all seem different in their approaches!

Warmly

Mic

• Posted

thanks for the reply Mic, getting seen at Spire hospital Liverpool. I have started using a rowing machine to build strength in my legs and back, it's a little painful but no weight bearing so I can deal with that.Its great that people take time to reply, it's very much appreciated.
  • Posted

Good luck Mark S, 15th September is the day I go on holiday (which was cancelled in June for my op) I am so looking forward to it we have hired a boat on the Norfolk Broads so it will be restful and peaceful. I am 10 weeks post op today, it's a roller coaster no doubt about that, but I would rather have that than the pain I was in before. I am back to driving in my new car, I had to give up last September as it was too painful. I love walking and couldn't even get across the road but hey now a mile or a more is no trouble.... so go for it love and thanks for the good wishes. Gill xxx
    • Posted

Have a fantastic holiday, I'm having mine before the op, a bit of R&R for the missus before I become a burden for a few months!
  • Posted

Hiya mark,

i am. Hippie in waiting, due to stuff happeng asked for op date to be October onwArds so not even on list yet, was definitely not having it done, then found this site with all these amazeball people who helped me change my mind, by the time I have mine done, I will be able  to take everyone's positive advice, no question will go unanswered, in fact I even told ,my doctor to recommend patients. Doesn't stop me from being scared out of my life but at least I'm not alone.

good luck

sue

• Posted

HI Sue and welcome to this site full of friends, answers to questions and love for everything hippie smilesmile
  • Posted

Hi Mark -

well ... that is good news !!!! 

you know that you can come here with all your questions and concerns, right ... 

you are well prepared - remember that we share our own experiences and you will have yours .. it is an individual  journey -

good night -

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Mark

Don't you worry, you will sail through it

I am 63 and 7 weeks post op, so a bit older than you and I have recovered really well. Yes there is a bit of pain to put up with, but nothing like the awful, nagging pre op pain. You have a new life awaiting you and you will be amazed at the mobility in your new hip - it is truly wonderful. Just try and be totally accepting of your operation and put yourself in the medical peopl's hands. I was just so calm, because I knew there was absolutely no alternative. You won't regret it I promise you!

Kind wishes Linda xx

• Posted

Good luck! I'm sure you will do fine.

You did the smart thing by coming to this group before your surgery. It gives you a better look at what to expect.

• Posted

Pansycat is right, a kind of calm acceptance blocks out any fear because you are having this op because you can no longer bear the pain of your failing hip(s).

I am 52 and had lost my fitness but it didn't stop me making an amazing recovery.

The first two weeks are rubbish, I was drained, everything was an effort, couldn't lift my leg, hated sleeping on my back etc.....then it all changes. I followed the rules, popped my pills, became a kitchen sink ballet dancer, watched crap tv, slept, wiggled my toes and then found I could walk without looking like a constipated ape. At first the stairs are like Mt Everest, two feet to a step with a rest in the middle and then you are suddenly on alternate feet and forgot where you left the crutch.

Guess I am saying hips are quite useful when it comes to walking, if yours are rubbish then get some new ones!

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I'm just over 4 weeks and aged 45. It's been a day by day thing and the improvements come. Yes it has been frustrating at times but all up I am super happy to be a hippy. My preoperatve pain is gone.

all the very best.

💌🌈💌🌈

• Posted

Oh, by the way, you get choices with your hip, see pics,  I chose 'skinny assed B' but you don't always get what you ask for!!!!

(no apologies for sense of humour - heh)

• Posted

Hey Kate, Mark,

well, as long as it works, which mine does....

if I was a gurl, I might want a pink one tho?

mic

x

• Posted

Hip hop hooray, I just needed that laugh today!!! Absolute!y love the horsey one.

For the first weeks my daughter said I had a Beyonce on op side and a Gweneth Palthtow on other side( personally don't know their butts) and now I have the Charlie Chaplin walk. So Hollywood next stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.