Upcoming TKR

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've been battling right knee pain for several years. I'm finally going to get TKR done on Jan 9th. I was feeling optimistic until reading some of the posts. Am I going to regret this? 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.. the op itself is a piece of cake.... the 1st few days are obviously the most painful, (I'm not going to lie). I did wonder what I'd done. However, you've had the pain for years, so a few weeks further discomfort you can handle. You will have good and bad days, but knowing that will help you. When you have it done, let us know if you have any queries. I've learnt more off talking/listening to people and Google, than the Dr's. Good luck... 😃😃

• Posted

Hi Ken, no definitely not, but it is better to be prepared as it is a huge challenge. I only got through it thanks to the wonderful people on this forum - I am 5 months out and am strengthening my long unused muscles.... a whole new life awaits. Read Chico Marx's posts and indispensable guide, ask everyone questions all the time, especially when you feel down or overwhelmed. It is so worth it. Good luck

Warm regards

Susie

• Posted

If you need a TKR and don't have the op your knee will continue to deteriorate - have the op and little by little your knee will improve. It's not an easy road to recovery but well worth the effort.

• Posted

I did the same with other tests and operations I had. You look stuff up to see what it's like. When you read to much you wish you hadn't. Everyone's different. I seen more good posts than bad ones. Don't get yourself all stressed out before the op.

• Posted

Ken I've had both knees done 2 years ago / first two weeks can be difficult but it's the best thing I ever did. Lots of physical therapy/ I was in it for a year/ let us know how it goes / and I'm 4 months post op RTHR/ Doing good / full mobility and no pain/ good luck

• Posted

Why would you regret being pain free, you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago, plenty of ice and some good films you will be great.

• Posted

Ken,

It's like everyone says.....the first few weeks are tough, and you will wonder what you've done, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Work hard at PT, rest whenever you can, eat well, and take care of yourself. Before you know it, you'll start feeling like yourself again. I am almost 6 months post TKR, and I can definitely say it was all worth it. Wishing you the very best--check back here when you have questions, and this community will be here to support you!

Diane

• Posted

Hi Ken,just realize that every circumstancell is different., I had a hip replacementioned and oh, what

Relief! I immediately felt better. I had my knee done 4 weeks into it now, slower than the hip, but I already feel stronger. The

First two weeks I had my doubts but now fselling stronger every day. Follow all instructions and best wishes to you.

• Posted

It will be the best thing that has happened. It is long on the recovery but worth it. I had bilateral knee replacements this last summer. Don't let the negativity doubt your decision.

• Posted

Everyone is different, every situation is one unto itself. I've had multiple surgeries because i have a rare tumor, one in 2 million. There are so many variables that you can't begin worry about all of them. Remember, the people on here, for the most part, are the people who have problems or didn't know what to expect and are frightened until they become more familiar with the process. This is not an easy surgery and no one should ever consider it as such but it is a process that thousands go through it with just limited difficulty. While there is plenty of pain, its a short term thing in comparison to many years of pain and altered life style because of it. You'll be fine, just stick with this forum and you will get all the guidance you need. As my physical therapist told me on my 1st visit years ago, I'm 15% of the healing process and you're 85%, so lets get going.

• Posted

Hi Ken,I'm 66 yrs knees been painful for years,had the left one changed first week in August,fully recovered from that.The right one changed 4 weeks today,walking unaided now,still a little way to go.First 2 weeks are uncomfortable ,then improves rapidly.I am now taking no pain killers at all,and feel great.Ice,elevation,exercise and rest.Good luck mate,and this forum is great,check in when you feel a bit down.

• Posted

Hey Chris I had both knees replaced june/Sept 2014 congratulations it really is great to be able to walk pain free. I spent a year in physical therapy rebuilding muscle strength and coordination. Your still short time in your recovery, stay with the PT you will be amazed at how much better you will be at 6 months. You need to maintain your new knees walking and exercise, doesn't really take much time, good luck, Dave 65 next week

• Posted

Hi Ken

I'm 11 wks post op playing golf again and generally pain free , I did a lot of cycling on a exercise bike pre op which helped obviously depends how mobile you are try to get as fit fit as you can pre op and when out of hospital concentrate on you exercises especially ROM I was on my bike bike 2 days post op just rotating pedals backwards first the forwards with NO resistance, this forum is very inspirational, you will have bad days and good days but think long time ( I thought piece of cake I'll be playing golf in 2weeks 🙈🙈 very wrong) give yourself recovery time and keep on your painkillers as you need them usually at night , the nerve sensation is very different every day something different feeling stay focused and you will get though it , I've got to have other knee done in the near future 🙈🙈

Have a happy Christmas this time next year it will b a distant memory 😀🐫

Take care good luck

Rob 58 years young

• Posted

Had TKR two weeks ago, pain for the 1st few days so important to keep up with the maimimum pain killers whether you you feel you need them or not. This along with regular ice packs then helps with your exercises. I'm applying ice almost hourly. Sleeping at night still restless but getting better. I've already discarded the crutches around the home and exercises going well. I have 90 degree movement and only the swelling holding me back despite it now rapidly reducing.

I do a lot of cycling and my aim is to be back on the exercise bike within the next two weeks but for this I need 115 degree movement. You've got to be prepared to push yourself with your exercises and despite it being a bit painful it's nothing compared with months of almost continuous pain.mNo regrets with the op

• Posted

Mark, continuing to exercise and strengthen is absolutely necessary but don't make the mistake so many are guilty of and thinking more is better. Set backs with knee replacement can really be almost devastating. Listen to the body and and me we push yourself into actual pain. Big difference between an ache and being tired and hurting yourself. I've had 11 surgeries on the leg/knee and 5 complete rehabs. E drone has been different to some degree or another. The old method of pushing and grinding has been replaced with a more humane way of doing the rehab. Slow and steady and like you said, pain meds on schedule not on demand. Icing as a routine not just when it hurts the worst and hydration almost to an excess. Strengtheniing soft tissue.In The quad area is more important than bend and working on straightening to 0 is more important than bending to 120. Without a straight leg you won't get the limp out of the gait. One of the really important factors that many forget downline......just because you hit your number doesn't mean they will stay unless you continue the daily workouts for a long time to come. Keep it up just don't overdo as setbacks can scar you emotionally for a long time. I've been fighting this for14 years and have made every mistake known to mankind......broken femur, staph infections, revisions due to stem breaking loose and moving around.........a million $$$ leg that still downy function properly. Started at age 65 and now pushing 80. Not to scare othersas mine is due to a rare tumor but there's a lot of rehab in that history. I've also thrown in 30 rounds of radiation for good measure. Scroll back and look at Chico Marxs' recepie for successful long term rehab. Its a great read from a guy that's kept the medical profession driving luxury automobiles.

Best of luck for continued success

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.