Update..

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all.. a big thank you for all your replies and support to my last post.

I have now had an MRI and got results today. I have a glenoid labrum tear from 9 oclock over to 3oclock, rotator cuff and bicep tendinitis and a definite frozen shoulder.. The Cats practitioner said its the worst tear he has seen. Still not able to proceed with cortisone injection as he is referring me to an orthopedic surgeon. Just got to continue with pain medication although if im honest, it doesnt touch the pain at all. Am hoping i dont need surgery. Has anyone else had this and did you need surgery to fix it? Am really upset at the minute as it doesnt look like i will be returning to work anytime soon.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well if it is a rotator cuff tear you are speaking of you will definitely need surgery as the tear will need to be repaired and then the frozen shoulder can be repaired at the same time.  How quickly can you see the orthopedic surgeon? It sounds like you are in a lot of pain and need the injection but if you can get the surgery quickly you will probably just go for surgery like I did. I am two weeks out from the surgery and only have pain when I sleep and the painkillers help me at night with the pain.  It hurt in the beginning and for the first week but now I am so much better, in PT and doing well.  I highly recommend the surgery. It works fast and you will feel better fast as well. There is no other treatment for a tear. It has to have surgery for it to get fixed. A tear means the tendons are torn and have to be stitched back together. My surgery lasted about 90 minutes. And I feel so much better. I know the tear is what is causing you the intense pain. Tears are very painful!!
  • Posted

Hi,I had a town labrum,partial tear of the biceps tendon and bone spurs. Had surgery and then my shoulder froze 3 months after surgery. Had to go back in and have a manipulation under anesthesia. I was out of work for 6 months, just went back in September and still have a lot of pain and weakness. The most painful surgery /recovery of my life. Good luck
  • Posted

I'm actually also responding to Wendy as she reminded me that I also had bone spurs along with the tear and the frozen shoulder.  The doctor wanted to fix all three at once so I don't have to go back for the manupulation under anesthesia for the frozen shoulder and his secretary said his patients have never had to have a second surgery or a manipulation.  He is a shoulder surgical expert that has written 3 textbooks on shoulder surgery and also teaches other surgeons on shoulder surgery.  So I'm in PT already and my frozen shoulder is totally released and my pain from the tear has improved greatly. There is some pain from where he had to shave down the bone spur. I hope this improvement continues. I am so sorry to hear of your pain and hope that it doesn't take 6 months like Wendy's to get better. That sounds just awful!!! Feel better!!
    • Posted

Hi Lambchop. Im so pleased your recovery is going so well. As for seeing the orthopedic surgeon, I expect it will be a good few weeks yet before I recieve an appointment to even discuss treatment. I wish I could afford to go privately but being a single parent and off work for the last 6 months, that is out of the question.. Again, well done on your recovery and keep well..x
  • Posted

I am so sorry you have to wait to see the orthopedic doctor but I know that is how it works the the NHS.  Maybe there will be a cancellation.  FIngers crossed!!  Feel better!  Keep us posted on this blog!!
  • Posted

A tear that big can only mean one thing an operation and the recovery is about 6 weeks and the first few weeks are painful. I have a small tear of which they will not touch but have had biceps tendinitis and FS. I have had bone spur removed too. Seems all part of the norm for FS sufferers. You are definitely not returnign to work any time soon. My friend has had both shoulders done for tears and she is fine now, so the future is bright for you. smile

• Posted

Hi I am having surgery on 29 January gulp x I have tried everything else x 
    • Posted

Hi Eve. Just want to say good luck for your op and keep us posted. Its awful being in constant pain isnt it? I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for you and i'm sure you will be fine. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.