Update.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have finally got around to doing something. i have emailed my NS to ask for more details. I thought if I do it by email it is not as easy to dodge the answer !!

He has confirmed that he does approx 5 of these surgeries annually, this makes me feel alot better. I know he is a very experienced and well respected surgeon and now I know he also does a few of these a year I feel happy to go ahead with surgery with him.

However I am also still considering getting the second opinion before I do so. Just to confirm that surgery is the right option for me.

As I am on the private list surgery could be as quick as 4-6 weeks away. Will be confirmed when I see him next

I have a few events in the pipeline and trying to get my year sorted as I know this surgery will take a while to recover from

So lets just say I have surgery end of March and I have a good recovery. What are the chances of me feeling up to a long haul flight at the start of July ? 3 months after surgery ???

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm pleased you are not waiting ages for surgery. I had my operation in August 2015 and had really bad time with sickness and dizziness for months. I did a long haul the following April and I was fine. I do still need medication for dizziness but not everyday. Everyone recovers different as symptoms are different too. I would wait till you have surgery before booking a flight and see how you are. Just my opinion. Best of luck. X
    • Posted

Thanks Helen, I am thinking of booking the flight as they are really good prices right now. If I can't go then maybe I will be able to send someone in my place and just get the name changed on the ticket. Haven't decided yet though

Thanks for the input

• Posted

Good if you have back up plan and won't loose your money. I was at a wedding but I think I would have been ok to travel a month or two earlier. My surgeon did say if recovered ok you can usually travel about 6weeks after surgery. But check with yours as depends on what they do. I had decompression and got bit infection in wound too. I was 59yrs old and was slow recovery. Hopefully yours will be much better.
    • Posted

Now and again, if I have been in bed too long or on computer, I feel like I have bit dizziness and sort of motion sickness.
    • Posted

should you look after yourself, make sure you are not too long and be careful, my 3rd Ns told me on my appt..he said that even after decompression and after recovering period (6-7 months) chiarian patient should really be looking after tehmself..they can't do like normal people do (if I used to play squah 1 - 2 hours)  I might reduce it to half or 45 minutes, definetely  not allow on roller coaster..anything that caused dizziness (shaking yur head) etc..and I suppose computer eventhough its not shaking..it is using our brains quite intense...you have got to look after your self helen..what medication are you taking..was it prescribed by them? or over the counter?
    • Posted

Yes your right. They have gave me a prescription med. Some days better than others. He told me to try do things slowly like bending or getting up. As you say anything that shakes the head causes dizziness.
    • Posted

Well Lady..listen to your body and your health care professional'advise you dont want to be bad again..just look after your self..x
    • Posted

Yes I'm trying to do just that, but other parts of my body keep interfering, like my prolapse bladder and my disc in my back is out too lol

All getting sorted bit by bit haha. You have to keep positive and look after yourself best u can x

• Posted

Guess what Helen???? we have the same condition...if In my opinion..prolapse bladder..if that bother you??? can you not just having stena or pad rather the operation???..when you are going to have your disk sort it..which part of UK are you?
    • Posted

I'm in North East , they have put pessary in about 4wks ago it was grade 2, so not a mild lapse and not severe. It seems to be fine at the moment. And I have had nerve block injection for the back which settled it a bit and getting another. I'm not wanting any operations unless absolutely nessary.
    • Posted

Yes, i have a nerve block as well, would your health care team not refer you to a pain management where they ccan help you with so many theraphy such as hydrotheraphy, accupuntute, tai chi, massage, yoga etc..its normally help..I used to be really terrible unable to walk with that back..I do strecthing and core exercise as well..and I used to take lots of medication..I take nothing at all now..just supplements, waters, magnesium and that pain management..the ccg in North east is excellent as well...
    • Posted

I started pilates and my leg went into spasms lol

But yes I'm refered for physio ect..

I also swear by the magnesium oil too. I try not to take meds and have started little job part time, which is keeping me active.

• Posted

wow Helen..that is good..at least that job keep you active..well if you can keep doing that its wonderful that is a bonus..that would be my goal..going back to work again..are you able to drive?
    • Posted

Haha, no but because I never passed my test. I worked in an office before operation and I'm now doing domestic work in a hospital just 3hrs a night. One wk in and one off. It's end of life and dementia patients ward, it makes me appreciate what I have.
    • Posted

you have to be careful then when you are doing domestic work..its that bending..up and down..hovering..head left ..right...(oh..I am dizzy..even imagining it)ha..ha
    • Posted

I'm on an evening shift so not too heavy. It's more changing water jugs, replenishing soaps, hand towels ect... Only little bit mopping and light cleaning. I'm terrible though for not finishing on time as end up making cuppas and chatting to patients. Lol
    • Posted

well, that is ok, chatting to the patients ad making lots of cup of tea , you make friend and making their life happies, you will be blessed..as long as you are thinking of your self, and don't do anything that need straining..(thats what I was told by the way by that NS..so I marked it with red)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.