UPDATE

Posted , 6 users are following.

For over a year I was dealing with what I thought was reoccuring shingles. So my infectious disease doctor finally looked at me and said for "Shots & giggles go gluten free." Celiac Disease does run in the family but I had no symptoms. The only indication was that my IgA was twice the normal range. So I went gluten free and within 2 weeks my rashes were completely gone and I felt normal again.

It's been 3 months and still no rashes. I will officially be diagnosed with Dermatitis Herpetiformis in another 3 months if I continue to be rash free.

I suggest if you to anyone if you haven't already is to look at gluten-free foods and the IgA is an indication for these type of reaction to gluten.

Good luck to everyone! I know this is stressful especially when you haven't a clue as to why it is happening.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Also I wanted to add that Dermatitis Herpetiformis has the same symptoms and looks just like shingles. The only difference is that shingles does not cross the midline. So if you were like me and that blistery rash all the body look into celiac disease.
  • Posted

Did you just get the rashes, or did you have the fatigue, flu like symptoms, and pain with the rash? Did you ever have the pain and other symptoms without a rash?? I have all this, and mine crosses the midline.

Thanks for your update

• Posted

I had the rashes, fatigue, headaches, flu like symptoms, pain where the rashes appeared & nerve pain all over my body. My doctor thinks I probably had shingles for sure at least 3 times because those 3 times the rash was only on one side of my face. So I was able to get the vaccine. I suggest if you end up getting the vaccine do it on a weekend that you have nothing going on. I was sick for 2 days, headaches & body aches, i was told its a rare reaction.

Also since I went gluten free my nerve pain is much better. I went from a pain level 5/6(on a good day)everyday to a pain level 1/2 about 10 days a month. Of course my neurologist & I are cutting down my neurotin.

• Posted

Okay. This is so confusing, but it's worth a try. Thank you.

• Posted

Your welcome. Also look at your hair, skin & make up products. I also had to change all those to gluten-free. It is very confusing and stressful. Now its just about adjusting to a new lifestyle.

• Posted

What if my hair and skin products do not say gluten--free? Does that mean they have gluten? I'm really frustrated right now because I have been feeling really good for about a week and then last night developed a few blisters on the left side of face, close to my mouth, which is another new spot!!! The left side of my face feels slightly numb and I just don't feel right. Last night I had a hard time sleeping despite how tired I am. My feet were hot and my skin was tingly all over. I also notice my left hand and arm would fall asleep quicker than normal. Does any of this sound familiar?

• Posted

Yes! The left side was my problem too. I also had shingles on my left side of my face by mouth & eye. My left arm would go numb alot. And nerve pain all over my body.

Unfortunately, hair & skin products do not say gluten-free. Sauve is the only product that guarantees 100% gluten-free. Immediately I noticed a huge difference in my hair texture. You will need to do alot of research. Go to the Celiac Foundation website. Tons of useful information on there. Tells you exactly what ingredients to look out for & how gluten is hidden in many products.

It's alot of information at once & it seems overwhelming. I went with the food at first. I only went into the other stuff because my hair felt different to me & my scalp itched like crazy.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to give this a try!!!

• Posted

Jen,

Thank you for your suggestion. I am so happy for you! Unfortunately or fortunately,... my IgA is normal and my Herpes Zoster-Shingles is in my ear...the itching must have been unbearable... I have terrible allergies, so I know about itching...

Again, thanks for your time and help on this site..

Warm wishes

Merry Juliana🌞

• Posted

Hi Jen,great idea have you seen any results from less itching an d rashes ?

• Posted

Rashes & itchiness are all gone since going completely gluten-free, foods, hair, skin & make up products. Nerve pain is much better working on decreasing my neurotin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.