Update at 16 months post THR

Posted , 13 users are following.

Some of you may remember that in May 2015 I had a THR at age 44 due to OA from a ten year hip fracture.  Anyway just throught it useful to update you all on how the hip feels now after a decent amount of recovery time.  In short it is nothing short of miraculous!  Seriously I cannot believe how good the hip is - so good in fact that I do not even thing that I have a hip replacement - it simply never crosses my mind really.

When I think about what I have achieved in the last year it brings it home how much of a fantastic job my surgeon did - for example I have been away camping twice (including a two week stint just 12 weeks post op!), dug out the garden for my pool, built numerous raised beds for our allotments, shovelled tons of stones in wheelbarrows, put up stud walls in my fathers garage/workshop etc etc.  Not a peep from the hip but plenty of muscular aches as I put into action muscles that have not been used for a long time.

Seriously if you are in your younger years and keep putting it off as you feel it maybe better to wait as long as you can - don't.  Get it done ASAP so you can enjoy life while you are still young enough to.

Good luck to everyone due to have a THR in the near future - no doubting the recovery is tough but stick at it and the rewards are so worth it.

6 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good to hear positive things I had thl on mon19 now fri I am keeping positive pottering around the hardiest thing I have found is getting in and out of bed and coming down the stairs is hard it is easier going up
    • Posted

It all gets better in the near future - sleeping was the worst for me. Sleeping on my back just didn't work for me - pillow between my legs on my non op side was heavenly!

• Posted

Great Mark!   I had mine in May of 15' also, I'm 10 years older than you, but yes the Hip is perfect, very little I can't do, (I have a bad back that limits me.)..Take Care.cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi markm49uk

I can't thank you enough for updating all us pre and post op hippys , you are inspirational and your post gives us all a insight into what the future can hold once we take the bull by the horns and make the decision, I wish I'd read your story 2 years ago at 58 I was in pain but not on crutches yet I feared the unknown and 2 years later I couldn't stand without crutches had put on 3 stone and had no life.

I'm now 10 days post op THR and pain less than before surgery , getting less every day

I'm even walking my dogs in the park for 20 min each day , bring on my LTHR I won't hesitate,BIG HUGS to you my fellow hippy and thanks for updating us 😀

• Posted

That is great Angie - you sound like me - after 2 weeks I was out looking for a new car visiting showrooms etc. Makes me cringe a little when I look back but I felt good so why not!
  • Posted

Thank you Mark needed that positivity today, having had a bad 24 hrs at 6weeks post op Bilateral THR....   

Was feeling really low and desperate.. back on strong pain killers tried to go without... 

• Posted

Keep positive - it does get easier with time. First 6-8 weeks are the worst honestly!
  • Posted

Mark so pleased for you reassuring good news for all of us hippies !!!

Regards Julie

• Posted

Hi Mark that is so great to hear, im forty nine , and I was told to wait five years , with bone on bone, its really inspiring to hear your story, thankyou xx
    • Posted

I would push for it asap if I were you - bone on bone is not a good place to be. Seriously if it impacting on your life now then why wait?
  • Posted

Thanks for your update Mark!

I am new to this board and just made the decision last month to have surgery and meet with my Surgeon next week.

My mother is 91 and in failing health. I've put off other medical issues for myself over the past 3 years, but made the decision that this can't wait

I dont want to be with a cane or on crutches before I decide enough is enough. It's hard to say that you can take several months out of your schedule to do this surgery and recovery. Then I realized that we don't have the option of scheduling a heart attack or a stroke but everyone seems to manage.

Thanks again,

Kristen

• Posted

Good decision Kristen. You entirely right - things will only get worse the longer you wait, and other joints wear down as well due to uneven gait and bad posture caused by your bad hip.

I am not as far along as Mark (thr- in Feb'15 and I had my 2nd 3 the days ago). I am home now with my own private nurse tending to me (my husband). He is doing a crackerjack job - even learning that smooth motions keep me from yelping and that the fast way is not always best.

But even at this early stage I can tell that things are going even better than my last surgery and I feel strongly that things will be fantastic within a year. So positively that we booked a cruise for June next year.

So, please go ahead with confidence. There is definitely life after thr and for most of it is very, very good.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Hi Linda, thanks for your words of encouragement. I am glad to hear that your second procedure is going better than the first. What, if anything, is different this time around? Did you have posterior or anterior?

I will keep the smooth motion in mind for my own personal nurse (my husband) 😆

• Posted

Hi Kristen,

I think they changed the anaesthetic proposal - don't know what specifically but find out in 6 weeks when I see my surgeon as last time I got the operation report from him and it specified al of that plus the process and all the equipment implanted.

Good to hear you have a private source to draw on for you in-home nurse. They are not easy to come by.

Good luck with everything Kristin.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

That should have been anaesthetic protocol not proposal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.