Update, gemma.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, just an update, I'd posted last week about having to stop leflunomide. I had my rheumatology appointment this week, so, rheumatologist was fab, she could see the amount of pain I was in and my 23 affected joints. She's putting me forward to start the anti tnf biologic called certolizumab pegol. Anyone on it or been on it? I have to self inject it every two weeks. I got a depo injection, it's bliss, already my joints are less painful. No joy with my jaw yet though, it's still locked and very painful, I still can't chew cos my teeth are not lining up properly and my back teeth don't even touch each other. Rheumatologist said the jaw prob is due to all the inflammation in my body. My jaw is really freaking me out, I'm worried about that, it's been locked for over a week now. Anyone had similar with jaw problem and been on certolizumab pegol? Anyone know what I can do about my jaw?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma

delighted to hear all this! Wow- 23 affected joints! Good they have taken action to put you on a biologic. We are privileged to be eligible for them as they cost a lot but are so effective. It took a huge flare to get me put forward for one but it's made a big difference. But I am on Rituximab- not the same as yours . 

I haven't had jaw problem, but other parts of me like feet and shoulders have improved- even ribs and top of leg sciatica pain ! Though I can't get the rheumy nurse to agree they  could be part of RA ! Who knows?!

• Posted

Thanx Rowbirdie, Yeh it's good, I was always wary about the biologics but it's amazing what you'll do when you're in so much pain. Just my jaw to sort now. G. 😃
    • Posted

It is off putting to read all the possible side effects ......but I agree, when the pain is that bad you are just happy for anything that will work. All the best
  • Posted

Hi Gemma - yep, had problems with my jaw too. Try a massage. When you're in pain everything tenses up and really tight neck and shoulder muscles affect your jaw too. I've just spent 2 and 1/2 hours in the dentist's chair getting two crowns done and my jaw seized up. A half hour massage helped a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.