Upper back pain after eating food - started after EDG/Colonoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy two days ago and have experience severe upper back pain which gets worse after eating food. It started after eating for the first time and the pain wrapped around my ribs and spread to my upper back/shoulders. I had a terrible stomach ache in my upper abdomen as well.

The only relief I get is stretching the muscles but the pain in my upper back has persisted.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've never had pain like this, it's like I have been hunching for hours.

I've also had diarrhea since the procedure, I really hope this goes away,

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That sounds connected with the stomach endoscopy. Did they say if you had ulceration or if they treated anything. I don't think that is a normal side effect (having had many endoscopies and not a few colonoscopies). I think you should report that straight away.
    • Posted

They said all results were normal just had inflation in the colon. When I mentioned my back pain he said it could be because of my job (photographer), I then expressed I'd NEVER had this pain before and it's ever since the procedure. He then told me to take Panadol every 6 hours until my next appointment in a week. My bowls have not been the same since. Perhaps they did not position me properly before the anaesthetic...
    • Posted

If the pain comes on only after eating it is unlikely to be back pain from photography. You don't need to be a doctor to know that. I would keep a pain notebook. When it comes on, when it goes off and the relationship to meals. I would have a scale of 1-10 where 1 is hardly pain at all and 10 is the worst pain you have ever had. Medics take it more seriously if it's written down. I would take him a copy in case he needs to keep it. Bowels can be a bit irregular after colonoscopy but should settle within a week. If not, I would keep a note of bowel movements too.
    • Posted

Hi kathy, how is your upper back pain? Did it resolve itself and how long? I just had an edg 2 days ago and came home with excurciating upper back pain (just 3" below and inbetween my shoulder blades) its pretty instense still and is almost constant. Its worse when i bend or lean down so Im thinking that why you thought it was when and after you eat since it requiers to bend a bit while eating?? Anyhow, Im worried about this, i've NEVER had back pain before either. Was told it may be skeletal/muscular strain from the procedure and that if it doesnt go away I should have a CT scan (really! No way ! not unless a matter of life or death will I accept the radiation). I havent really heard or read of back pain after endoscopy and I'm really worried. 

• Posted

I have this pain you describe right now, 26/04/17. Had endo/colonscopy both on Monday, 24/04. Pain began after I slept 24 hours after prodecure. It's a strong pain, on Panadeine Forte right now, in Oz. Hard to get comfortable enough to breathe. Trying different positions, less painful when sitting upright. Cannot bend, reach for something, etc. Had trouble sleeping, woke at 5am in sweats and tremoring. Once I remained still on my back it gradually became less. I honestly feel it was some kind of positioning they had me in while sedated.

• Posted

This is a reason why I don't want the upper GI endoscopy unless absolutely necessary. I do hope it resolves quickly for you, but yes, it's worth asking the medics if this is potentially worrying enough to follow up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.