Upper back pain for months, what should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For months(it's going to be a year soon enough) I have had upper back pain that goes away and comes back. I've been to the doctors twice for it, and one time the doctor assumed it was GERD and prescribed tums, the other time the doctor assumed it was because I puilled a msucle and prescribed pain killers and gave me a workout manual.

I had an x-ray a couple months ago that came away with n oacute abnormalities. Is it possible to have any heart disease or conditions and have aclear x-ray?

I'm an 18 y/0 male btw.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I think gsllbladder can have referred psin to back, what other symptoms you have. Need ct with contrasr, Gallbladder hard to diagnose without. Chest xray wld rule out any aortic problems thst cld cause back pain but the ct will rule out all.
    • Posted

I noticed some other symptoms.

1. When it's at it's worst,, I have sternum pain when I breath in.

2. Sometimes my chest feels like it's burning.

3. It happens whne I wake up, a lot now.

4. It goes away when I exercise 90 - 95 percent of the time.

5. Aometimes I can feel a little bit of the same pain on the ride side of my back and chest but it's  almost always on the left and a lot more severe on the left.

Any ideas?

• Posted

You are only 18..Either Gallstone..you need abdominal ultrasound, or Kidney stones--again same test--abd. ultrasound. Those are likely. Upper back pain--it is hard to damage a thoracic disc...unusual unelss you sustained trauma to that part of the back... Doesnt sound like a gastric issue..check out your kidneys and gallbaldder.
  • Posted

Hi Kyle

It is possible to have certain conditions that are well known not to show up on standard X-Rays, thats why doctors, if they feel that there could be a problem, will have a MRI scan done. If you are at all worried, ask your doctor to send you to have a MRI scan done, if you ask they should do this.

Best of luck, and let us know what happens.

Kevlol

• Posted

For others to see without the typos.

1. When it's at it's worst, I have sternum pain when I breath in.

2. Sometimes my chest feels like it's burning.

3. It happens when I wake up, a lot now.

4. It goes away when I exercise 90 - 95 percent of the time.

5. Sometimes I can feel a little bit of the same pain on the right side of my back and chest but it's almost always on the left and a lot more severe on the left.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• Posted

And told him about the same symptoms you're stating at this time. You need to do what everybody else is telling you so probably run an EKG on you and the skin at the least let us know how it goes
    • Posted

I did the ekg.

Sinus Bradycardia

Interior Infarction, age undetermined(!!!!)

Volatage criteria for left ventricular hypertrophy

These are the thngs on the report.

I don't know what to think.

• Posted

As I suspected-==your problem is your hEART. You have Probably A FIB plus ??? YOu need to see a cardiologist who specializes in traumaitc injuryt/ A FIB/. etx. I need to see one also..My CPK (creatine Kinase is 257 and I was in ER with chest pain...they said my TRONOPIN and D DIMER were normal (No clot no current heart attack) and EKG neg. However---I had EKG months ago they said "was nothing" that said left bundle channel block and possible infarction.... so my general doctor said--you need a new cardiologist--- next week.  SO see a caediologist ASAP
    • Posted

they referred me to one. I'llsee him withinthe next two weeks. I'mseeing anothe doctor on friday.
    • Posted

They referred me to one. I'll see him within the next two weeks. I'm seeing another doctor on friday.*
  • Posted

Until you get a diagnosis...I would be very careful about physical activity...no lifitng....no running etc...  you probably need a Trans esophageal cardiaogram....a unpleasant test similiar to a gasto endoscopy..so they can LOOK at your heart... they start with an echocadiogram and stress test...  I am getting those next month (In NY you wait a MONTH to get heart tests if yo uwanrt them done and read by q
  • Posted

Until you get a diagnosis...I would be very careful about physical activity...no lifitng....no running etc...  you probably need a Trans esophageal cardiaogram....a unpleasant test similiar to a gasto endoscopy..so they can LOOK at your heart... they start with an echocadiogram and stress test...  I am getting those next month (long wait wher I live gor heart tests)... I saw docfror today who agreed "You may have had a slient heat attack--they missed---get the tests-- Creatine KINASE measures the heart muscle..if HIGH suspect heart damage..)..you shoild get a CPK blood test as well..ask when you go... ask for TRONOPIN, D DIMER, CPK, PT PTT SED RATE.. not sure what else. Maybe a simple medication can work..if not you may need a Form of pacemaker...
    • Posted

I'll see tomorrow. They didn't say anything about excercise and I have done a lot of it so who knows. 

The only good news is they found a lot of muscle spasms on the left side of my back where a lot of pain was, so that may not be related to the heart at all.

• Posted

Now Im getting very frustrated. I went to the cardiologist and the freaking people gave me another EKG, didn't tell me the results and had one guy use a stethescope on my heart to tell me I have a "functioning heart murmur". The doctors felt it wasurgent and they did pretty much nothing to figure out what's wrong. Huge waste of time. The cardiologist office was very busy and we had to wait until 30 min before closing to even get in. 

I don't know what to do at this point. I had a really bad stretch of palpitations very early this morning for some reason. I'm beocming a hypochondriac at this rate.The back pain is so weird, it almost feels connected to my heart and it's why I'm getting anxiety. Even typing this is giving me head pressure.

Right now, I'll take some aspirin just to give myself some assurance. Very disappointing. I don't evven see how they can read Inferior infarction, left ventricular hypertrophy and abnormal ecg on the ecg papers I gave them, and feel the need to only use a stethescope. I wonder if they even read it.

• Posted

Welcome to the m odern world of medicine. MY EKG read "possible myocardial infarction" and thye ignored it. Now my blood tests show I have have hearty muscle damage (CPK /CPR blood test)..Now They ar FIRST after 4 months since that EKG sending me for a nechocardiogram and stress test..4 months later... I would say dcall and complain bur from my experience..when the office operates in a certain manner nothing you say will make a difference... time to find another cardiologist if they refuse to test--and go there and ask for a copy of any test they did do...which they will be annoyed to provide.. Keep trying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.