Upper Endoscopy / Gastroscopy no sedation - good positive experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I'm a 29yo female from the UK. Today I had a positive endoscopy experience with no sedation. I've read a lot of negative experiences which is not surprising because the procedure isn't exactly pleasant but for the benefit of those waiting for a gastroscopy I thought I'd post my experience which didn't seem to be as bad.

I was taken from the waiting area by a lovely nurse who checked BP and pulse rate before telling me to put on a gown. Took my myself and my stuff to another holding area, half an hour later I was called and taken along a corridor to a room that didn't resemble an operating theatre, just a bed with a TV on either side.

I met the doctor and she sprayed the banana tasting local anaesthetic down the back of my throat (not particularly nice tasting but not horrific either!) I felt like I got a slight lump in my throat but was told this was normal. I could still breathe easily. It's easy to panic at this point because it is a weird sensation but nothing to worry about.

Then a mouth guard was put in to protect teeth from the endoscope. The endoscope was a black cable on it with numbers, about as thick as my little finger.

The doc proceeded to push the endoscope through the guard and down the back of my throat. This is the worst part but it's fleeting - over after five seconds. It made me gag but I coped - just listen to the doctors and nurses, they tell you to breathe through it and it totally helps. I felt fine once it had passed further down.

In terms of being able to feel it, I could but not all the time. it depends upon the ailment but I didn't experience any bad pain, just uncomfortable as they put more air in so they could have a look around.

I had a biopsy as the doctor could see three red areas along the lining of my stomach. She didn't say what it was except that it could be HPylori Bacteria, excess acid, gastritis etc list goes on.

The doc then took the endoscope out and it came out easily, they need to bring it up slowly though so as not to damage your insides.

The whole procedure lasted around five minutes.

The good thing about it is if it is too much you can still choose to have sedation in the room if it is too much for you (or they will send you for a barium drink and CT if you can't manage either but will have to wait weeks again!).

In terms of after effects, I feel a little cramping and my throat is sore, but otherwise I was able to get up off the table, get changed and walk out five minutes afterwards!

I hope this post has been useful for people looking to have an endoscopy with no sedation smile

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Glad your experience was ok. I had mine without even the throat numbing and it was fine. You might get slight stomach irritation over the next few days.
  • Posted

Thank you Kara for your honest and helpful description of the endoscopy.
  • Posted

I once did the way you did and once with sedation. Sedation is far better. You close your eyes and open and you will be told its done.
    • Posted

Not in my case. I didn't have anyone to take me home and stay with me. I could just leave and get on with the rest of the day without wasting a day off work.

• Posted

I think it depends whether you are a need to know person which I am and also whether you have a good swallow mechanism. I've reported on this in the past but to me it just felt like swallowing a piece of dry bread. I do admit to being able to swallow large pills which I know is not for everyone. I also enjoyed the conducted tour of my stomach but, again, perhaps not for everyone.

I drove myself homand the worst bit was waiting the necessary time before it ws ok to have a cup of tea.

• Posted

i had one not so long ago and like you heard the horror stories but it was fine, i didnt have to get in a gown for mine, i felt the biopsies being taken, was painfull to eat and drink for a while afterwards but nothing majer, i think we women are tough cookies, on the day i went all the men so far had had sedation and all the women had just the spray, i had the barium swallow a few weeks later, of the two i wouldn rather have the endoscopy without doubt again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.