Urachal Cyst Adult Removal Surgery expectations after surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 25 year old white male. 6' 130lbs. Have horseshoe kidney, stone issues and urologist says my bladder looks like that of an 80 year old. Smoke 5 times a day. No alcohol.

About 8 weeks ago I went to er on 4 different occasions after my belly button had swelled up so bad it was completely pushed out, raw and had leakage... Was finally diagnosed with a urachal cyst as well as hernia. It was drained and packed, and had packing changed twice. My belly button has gone back to regular color, and gone down in size but is still blown out and looks like my belly button is blowing a bubble.

The doctor has said that he will make an incision 3 inches long about 1 inch above navel, and he will remove my cyst as well as repair hernia. He also says as far as he is concerned it will be out patient. Although hospital may want to admit after.

Will it really be outpatient? What's the healing time for this? Is this common? What will belly button look like after? What's next for my poor urinary system? Doctor doesn't give much on what I can expect so anyone had similar surgery?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Hospitals are now doing a lot more surgery as day cases and hernia repair and removal of cysts  are just 2 of them. It's ok if you have someone at home to look after you and you are discharged with adequate pain relief but if not then I do worry. There are many pros and cons to this type of day surgery that I won't go into here.

The healing time I would guess (without knowing your particular case) would be 6 weeks and I would expect your belly button to look fairly normal afterwards.

• Posted

Surgery went well. Was put under a little after 9:00am and was wheeled out a little before 2:00pm. Have been instructed to stay in bed 24-48 hours. No driving for at least a week no lifting over 8lbs for 3 weeks. Feeling a little sore, but mostly uncomfortable. It feels like when I cough or move at all that my guts are going to spill out of the incision, I low it's not possible and I am stitched up, but only way to describe it. Had the surprise of being kept in isolation as the infection was mrsa ..... See doc in 7-10 days. Will keep posting as I move on to healing and back to normal.
    • Posted

Pleased to hear it's all over with. Make sure you do as you are told and get plenty of rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.