URETHRAL DILATATION! Afraid of PAIN. Help me guys, please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm 24 years old and brazilian.

First of all, I want to apologize because I've a very bad english.

The reason I'm writing here is because there aren't many information about URETHRAL STRICTION and DILATATION in portuguese, otherwise I wouldn't be here bothering you guys with this small question.

I'm very afraid of urethral dilatation, the doctor said it's not painfull, but they use to lie, so I'm very afraid.

1. Does it really HURT/BURN?

2. Sometimes is it enough to do just 1 dilatation to get better?

3. Is there any hint to reduce the pain?

I've a stricture near the sphincter, I'm very afraid of pain, guys! 

=(

Help please.

Thanks!!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My first urethrotomy was way back in 1969, when I was 25 years old. I then had repeated urethrotomies practically every year and later about once every six months. In 2004, I had a similar experience when I blocked up totally. The A&E doctors could not pass even the thinnest catheters. I ended up having a supra-pubic catheter fitted. When I saw my own consultant, he advised me to start using intermittent catheters. This was satisfactory until sometime in 2014 when even the CH8 catheter was getting a bit painful to use. I had another urethrotomy and am back on intermittent self catheterisation. I am now using a CH14 catheter (LoFric Neleton). I now do self catheterisation once every two days - before I go to bed. No pain so far. I insert the catheter all the way into the bladder as my stricture is just by the Sphinctre. My personal experience is all good and I intent to continue on a regular basis and hope that I will not need another urethrotomy.

My stricture is near the Sphintre as well and I have had several dilation operations. They only hurt or burn the first time you pass water after the operation.

If you are going to dilate yourself using a ISD catheter, that is easy to get used to and it is NOT painful.

Good luck.

• Posted

Oh man, thanks for the informations.

I wanted so bad to do urethrotomy, but my doctor said he is NOT doing it because the scricture is very close to the sphincter and if in the OP something goes wrong it might affect it's regular function and I wouldn't be able to control my pee anymore!!! 

=(

I don't know what to do.

Should I search a doctor to do the URETHROPLASTY or just start with the regular DILATATIONS?

Thankx again, people!!

• Posted

If the stricture is so close to the sphinctre that even a standard urethrotomy is risky, I will NOT consider a urethroplasty. I would ask for a second opinion from another urologist. 

You can try self dilation to see if that will slowly open up the stricture.

• Posted

Hello. I had flexible and rigid cystoscopy/ dilatation done myself. It does 'sting' to urinate for 3-4 days. Take painkillers and anitbiotics during this time. First day the most painful and then every day the stinging and burning subdues. It is all bearable so do not be too afraid. The burning should not keep you from getting treatment.

To reduce pain have strong pain killers. They help a lot. Usually 1 dilatation is enough for mild strictures.

All the best! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.