Urethral stricture

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 26 year old unmarried male. Recently I've been diagnosed with urethral stricture as I was infected with UTI and doctor suggested me to undergo tests like uroflowmetery and then RGU/MCU, in which mild elongated stricture was found in anterior urethra(in Meatus part), its around 1.5 inches long. I was dialated after this diagnose and after 1.5 months I am still going good. But my doctor said that stricture can reoccur at any time and I'll have to again go for dilatation or other treatment at that time. Now I am getting married in few months and this disease is upsetting me a lot. I don't know if I should tell this to my fiancee or not, don't know what will be her reaction, most probably it will be canceling of marriage. I actually want to know as what all issues and complications this disease can cause in married life ? Will it affect my partner life also ? I don't want to ruin her life and if I find that my problem is going to affect her life also then I am definitely going to tell her about my disease. I am in a fix now as what should I do and what not. I am even thinking of not marrying at all as why should someone else suffer because of me. This whole marriage thing is also causing psychological disturbance in me. Please guide me as what should I do with my disease ?

Is there any permanent treatment available which is not involved with later complications ? I am more concern about my disease affecting my married/future life.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gautam,

I believe i can help you. I am 35yr old male, happily married with 2 kids. I am no stranger to this condition 'urethral stricture' condition as i have been experiencing it since 7yrs old. I got this issue due to an injury while playing at age of 7. Since then, numerous 'dilation' from time to time until at age of 28 where doctor confirmed 'Urethrotomy' procedure can be performed. They could not perform this while i was young. Believe me, they found 3 separate strictures during the surgery !

Now, coming back to your case, cheer up bro ! There is no way this is going to effect your marriage ! i know what you are concerned about, and yes, you can still have a normal sex life and have children. So, stop worrying and dun ever postpone or cancel your marriage. Share this with your wife , she will unrderstand. Assure here, its will no way effect the family life. As your doctor mentioned, go for regular dilation and do discuss with your doctor if its possible to remove the stricture once for all.

In case you wondering , it the surgery resovled my issues ? For 7yrs, it was okie, until recently, i discovered, the strictures are back !!! sad

Back to the surgery table again i believe...

• Posted

[quote:2f4f4fc16f]I am in a fix now as what should I do and what not. I am even thinking of not marrying at all as why should someone else suffer because of me. This whole marriage thing is also causing psychological disturbance in me. Please guide me as what should I do with my disease?

Is there any permanent treatment available which is not involved with later complications? I am more concern about my disease affecting my married/future life.[/quote:2f4f4fc16f]

There is a risk of treatment affecting sexual function; the risk is not negligible but is fairly small. So I don't agree that there's nothing to worry about, but you may be worrying more than is really justified. You need to discuss treatment risks with your doctor, and, I would think, your fiancee.

[quote:2f4f4fc16f]It is now generally accepted that urethrotomy and dilatation are equally effective and can be expected to cure about 50% of short bulbar urethral strictures when first used. If the procedure has to be repeated, it is rarely curative and it is rarely curative even the first time in strictures other than in the bulbar urethra.

When the stricture recurs, it usually does so within weeks or months and almost always within two years. Those that recur comparatively infrequently might be palliated (rather than cured) by repeat instrumentation and, as long as this is agreeable to the patient and is uncomplicated by bleeding or sepsis, such palliation might be perfectly acceptable. If instrumentation is required more frequently or is complicated or unacceptable to the patient in the long term, then urethroplasty is the only curative option.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2585709/[/quote:2f4f4fc16f]

[quote:2f4f4fc16f]Unless a patient has a single, previously untreated, short, membrane-like stricture of the bulbar urethra, in which case there is a 50% chance of a cure with dilatation or urethrotomy, the only predictable cure for a urethral stricture at present is a urethroplasty.

http://cirugiauretra.grupoaulamedica.com/pdf/bloque2/b2_46.pdf[/quote:2f4f4fc16f]

Your stricture is not very short, not bulbar, and has already been dilated once. It's likely to recur, and if it does, repeat dilations or urethrotomies won't cure the condition, but - like btmaran - you may find them acceptable for managing the condition if you don't have problems recurring too quickly.

Urethroplasty will be the only alternative with a good chance of cure.

• Posted

what happened did u get any treatement? I have had the same problem SAME like u same marriage issues and all but i wanted to know what happened and if u got a permanent solution? please respond asap
  • Posted

I am facing same issue, about a year ago i have already done with dialatation now again the urine flow is getting extremely weak, as well as after passing urine i feel weakness as sperm drops alson passing through, i am getting very much upset, i don't know why this is happening to me, kindly suggest me any better idea and how to deal with this condition, thats why i am facing higher depression,

Kindly suggest anything Best !

• Posted

I am 30, awaiting for your kind replies
    • Posted

What do u mean by  ," as well as after passing urine i feel weakness as sperm drops alson passing through" can u explain what this means

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.