Urethral stricture

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 27 year old special needs had a urethral stricture. Had urethrotomy on Thursday, in overnight and catheter taken out next day and sent home. Previous ops he had 2 strictures, this time he had 3. Sttill having lots of pain to urinate but flow better than before. I am praying it doesnt return again as urethroplasty is next in line. Feel so sorry for him.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Sounds like the op went ok, although I know it is hard for your son to deal with. (And of course for you too.) I do hope it holds this time. Best wishes to you both.

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin. Here we go again. Ben having anothet procedure in 2 days. November one didnt work and pain everytime he pees for over 6 months now. Really getting him down. Really has to push to pee and lots of pain. Will let you know how he goes. Karen.
    • Posted

Oh god, poor you. Is there really no way of dealing with this except by these ineffective operations? You think that in this day and age there's nothing they can't sort out medically. But after a year of occasional tests on me, they've given up and shrugged their shoulders: "We may never know." So I guess medical science is not yet a closed book; but how I wish they could sort out your poor long-suffering Ben's problems.

Best wishes to you both,

Colin

• Posted

Thanks Colin. It always seems do one thing and cause another problem. I feel sorry for Ben, this week he has to be sedated with general anesthetic for that op and then next week another general for wisdom teeth extraction. I am not looking forward to it. I hope this urethral one is the last for a while. Karen.
    • Posted

Hi Colin just letting you know Ben went well today. Had 2 more strictures removed. Hopefully fingers crossed it will be it for a while. Karen.
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm 21 and recently was diagnosed with at least two urethral strictures. The urologist wants to do a dilation procedure and I was just wondering if there is any hope for a successful procedure or if I should just opt for surgery/reconstruction?? It seems like these dilation procedures tend to have high recurrence rates...

Thanks,

Ben

• Posted

Hi. My son just had his stricture cleared today for about the 10th time and he is 27. Usually his comes back around every 3-4 months. His surgeon said eventually will need a urethroplasty. He is special needs so was trying to avoid that. His was first caused from a catheter being inserted incorrectly for hernia surgery.
    • Posted

I do wonder how common this sort of injury is. I am quite convinced that my (much more minor) stricture was caused by the very rough insertion of a catheter in an emergency last year. In my case the stricture was meatal, and they seem to have fixed it by simple dilation under general anaesthetic, without the need for surgery.

I don't know much about urethraplasty, but wouldn't it be kinder to you and your son, karen, just to get on and do it rather than put him through the same traumatic and ineffective process every three or four months?

• Posted

Hi Colin. I think he might be okay with the opl am just not sure how he would go with the catheter through the stomach for 2 months. I am not sure if he would leave it in there or try and pull it out. If it returns again he already has a referral to the surgeon that would do it all l have to do is book him in.
    • Posted

Yes, I can imagine that would be a challenge for him. I certainly wouldn't want one! When I was in hosital this time last year, there was a elderly man in my ward with dementia who could not cope even with a fitted urethral catheter, kept trying to pull it out, with disastrous consequences.

Well, I do hope that this latest op holds for as long as possible. Best wishes to you both.

Colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.