urethral stricture and options given by doctor

Posted , 6 users are following.

My dad has an Urethral Stricture and a week bladder, so the doctor suggested the below 2 options on which I want your opinion or suggestions

1) Grafting - where the doc will use the skin from inner cheek and use it to hold the urethra where it has narrowed down, however, since the bladder is week after the operation my dad may have to do self catheterization and grafting does not leave the inner part of the urethra smooth and it may obstruct self cathertization.

2) Make a small hole between Anus and Testicals which will become the option for urination and the penis will become a dummy. The only problem is he will have to sit while urinating.

Have you heard of option 2 or have any of you got it done? which is better? Please advise. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

From following this blog for nearly a year, I think many of us would recommend: 1) research Urethral stricture and grafting as much as you can; 2) get at least 2 more opinions; and 3) research the docs relative to their experience and surgical outcomes if possible.  Best of luck!
    • Posted

Thank you Paul I will research little more as you suggested.
  • Posted

First of all I want to thank you for taking care of your father.  How old is he.  Never in the 3 years I have been on this site of I hear of Option 2.  Stay away from that.  Number 1 is the most common.  Where is your fathers stricture.  I have one in the bulbar urethra.  Mine is doing fine.  I have looked into option 1 for myself .  With that one they could do a super pubic catheter to pee and it would leave the urethra time to heal.  But first I would also go see another doctor for a second opion.  My doctor also told me about a balloon dialation to open up the stricture good luck  Ken  
    • Posted

Kenneth,

I had a turp on Dec. 4, 2015.  On May 13th of 2016 I could barely pass urine.  I was placed on anesthesia and when the doctor looked he found excessive scar tissue had formed.  He told me he made two cuts and the scar tissue "pulled back".  My stream is getting weaker and I'm worried that the scar tissue has returned.  I have indications that it is in the bulbar area.  What caused your stricture?  I dread having to go back again.  I'm getting concerned now.  How did you treat your stricture?

• Posted

Scurry...I'm sorry that your having a problem.  My urologist checks it every couple of month in the office with a cystosopy.  So far it is doing good and he has told  be that it 16c I guess  I know if I have to have a catheter put in it has to me a 14fr or smaller.  Nothing larger will go in.  Has I said it is ok for know but we have talk about a couple of treatments .  First a balloon dalation. to strach it open and if it get worst he would do a  open urethroplasty with a graft.  At may age I don't want to lose any of the urethra.  If you want to chat send a praivate message be happy to chat  Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken, thank you for responding to my query. My dad is 67 yrs old. It is a bulbar stricture. With option 1 the doctor says that after the grating operation if he is still unable to get a good stream due to weak bladder he may have to do CIC (self cathertization) in order to empty the bladder and while he tries to do that there will be some obstruction as the grafting operation would have made the surface of the urethra uneven and he will have trouble in inserting the 14c. hence he suggested option 2 - I searched google for many hrs no where could I find any comments about option 2, really worried.
    • Posted

Sorry just saw your question.  I got it from Kidney stone surgery. He went in and out 3 times that cause the stricture.  That was 14 years ago never new I had it.  I was getting alot of infection and I was peeing slower I throught it was just my age.  That doctor did a job on you Sorry you had to have that done.  Most of the time they clean it up very well.  Ken
    • Posted

I'm sorry but I never heard of that second one.  I can ask my urologist about it if you like.  I would go and get a second opinion.  I think if he has the grafing done he should be fine.  He may have to use a smaller catheter with alot of lube.  They can also give him some meds to help his bladder.and he may pee on his own.  If you would like to chat send me a private massage we can talk  Ken 

• Posted

Thank you so much for offering to help, would you be able to ask your urologist for an opinion on option 2 please, it will be a great confidence builder on next steps.
  • Posted

You would think that it might be possible to put a stent in there. Please check with other urologist at centers of excellence such as universities, or the Mayo Clinic. They will know the latest techniques.

Please let us know what you find.

Neal

• Posted

When I talked to my urologise he said that he does not like to put them in because theey are hard to get out if there is a problem They have to be cut out.  Which they shorten the urethra  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Nealpros, thank you for responding to my query. Stent has the lowest possible succes rates and chances of infections are high and it is also very painful and difficult to remove the stent once inserted - also there is risk of narrowing at both the ends of the stent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.