Urgent Diagnostic Laperoscopy for Endometriosis?!!!!!! so nervous!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I'm so incredibly nervous please help me out any feedback from anyone especially ladies who have gone through laperoscopy for endo please please talk to me I'm nervous as hell

Long story short, I've been suffering from excruciatingly debilitating cramps every single cycle,this started three ish years ago I spend hours in the ER I've been admitted few times as well and it's the same bloody routine every single time

I'm in immobilizing pain, cold and hot flashes, nausea, vomiting fainting poor appetite dehydration low blood sugar levels heart palpitations weakness fatigue exhaustion crankiness moody insomnia etc etc

All these symptoms I experience up to two weeks before my period then during the first 3-4 days of my period then total exhaustion few days after my period and I'm symptom free a week before my period give and take. I should also mention that I've had several x-rays, ultrasounds and all kinds of bloodtests and everything comes out good healthy and no problems yet I have these symptoms that just don't seem to go away, last stop for me was a visit to an endocrinologist and he's taking care of my thyroid problem given a new doze a little over a month ago and things are looking fine on that end I had a referral from him to see a gynecologistin mid September but having been bed bound with all the symptoms and persistent pain on my right abdomen I spent the night in the hospital and everything came out good both the blood and the urine tests and the ultrasound and regardless of how many drugs were given to me via an IV I was still experiencing bad persistent tedious excruciatingly painful pain on the right side of my abdomen so the gynecologist today discussed laperoscopy with me and I felt so comfortable around her and being as fed up as I am with all this pain I said I'll go for it

It will be a Diagnostic Laperoscopy for Endometriosis she put it as urgent and she'll be the one performing the procedure I'm happy things will finally start to clear out and hopefully I'll be in my way to some kind of cure hopefully but I'm so nervous please help any words of comfort or advice will be greatly appreciated. I did half the paper work already and I'll have some more to do the day of I have a really good doctor guiding me thru this call me weak or crazy but I'm incredibly nervous

It would be nice to hear from anyone who's done this kind of procedure please BTW I'm 23 years old, healthy no health complications non smoker or drinker

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I did lap for endo diagnosis (it doesn't show on scans. Scan ok but I was riddled) last December and then another one for hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. I was exactly like you but it really is not as bad as you think and can hardly see scars now. I sat there so scared but the medical teams are great. The actual op is like going to sleep for one minute and you're being woken up and it's all over. Just take it easy afterwards. I got emotional with anaesthetic last op but first one not at all. I was having tea and toast an hour later. Ps. I'm 40 so hysterectomy option was my choice not the outcome for everyone. Just ask me more questions if you need to. Good luck
    • Posted

waw thank you so much Froggy for this yeah I really am freaking out inside I feel like I have so many questions but when I need to ask one straight forward question I can't I just loose the darn ability to formulate a simple clear question guess that just shows you how confuzzeled I am with this whole thing it's so sudden I was considering it yes but I thought I'll sure be months until I can get an appointment but uoh no not this time everything is happening so fast guess what I'm worried about the most is pain I'm already in pain period is due on the 25 doctor knows and says that is completely fine but just the thought of experiencing PMS/period cramps plus the pain of the surgery really scares me because my pain is excruciating so very excruciating
  • Posted

It is perfectly normal to be nervous! But you will be ok. I had one last December because I had a cyst. Cysts do show up on scans but other deposits of endometriosis don't so I've had 6 months treatment and I'm having another laparoscopy on thurs. I'm nervous too but I think it's understandable - having an operation always makes you a bit apprehensive. But you are in excellent hands and it sounds like you have a lovely understanding team of doctors. You can't carry on your life with those horrendous symptoms every month and this will be the start of the road to recovery. My advice would be to take it easy for at least two weeks after. Also one tip I wish I'd known before: any operation tends to make you constipated and because of the area being operated on you can't use those muscles easily to go to the loo so get some laxatives. I was in much less discomfort once I uses them but it was only 3 days after the op that I was advised to. The nurse this time said take them straight away but don't get the ones with senna. I used dulcoease and it worked while still being soft on my system. Also if your doctor hasn't told you this the gas they put inside you to make it easier to see leaves your body naturally afterwards but can result in a bit of pain up near your shoulders. Weird! But it's good to be aware of because it's perfectly normal and you don't need to worry about a weird pain in a different place.

Most of all you are going to be fine - it's a common procedure and whilst it's daunting for us going through it you will have clearer answers afterwards. Best of luck with it all xxxx

• Posted

Omg another one! Wishing all goes well for you! And thank you so so much for the detailed answer it's incredibly helpful I'm sure you'd understand thanks for the advice I'll keep everything in mind for sure! Now for the laxatives that really makes a lot of sense but my question is when is the best time to take it your nurse said right away I'm no sure what that means is it right after the surgery or is it right after you get home? Also how long did your surgery last they told me it could be 30min to 1hr and as for the hospital care post-op it will be between 3-4 hours

If you don't mind me asking how long did you need to stay in the care center after the surgery? Did you need strong pain killers for the pain or over the counter type of stuff? Did you sleep most of the time or were you awake just tired during those two weeks after the surgery? And what about the sutures? Do they dissolve on their own or do you have them taken out and if so by your doctor or by yourself?

• Posted

You will be surprised. I had no pain after first week of op and definitely less than normal period then they gave me injection because it was endo that stopped period for 12 weeks and didn't have any pain as they'd cleared endo adhesions and freed up my organs that had fused together with the stuff which was what was causing pain. I really hope you get the same experience
    • Posted

Waw that is great that it's all over for you hope I'll start feeling better and experiencing less pain too thank you so much for the answer
    • Posted

I hope you don't mind answering these questions as well it will help me a lotto know as much as I can and I'd really appreciate it

how long did your surgery last they told me it could be 30min to 1hr and as for the hospital care post-op it will be between 3-4 hours

If you don't mind me asking how long did you need to stay in the care center after the surgery? Did you need strong pain killers for the pain or over the counter type of stuff? Did you sleep most of the time or were you awake just tired during those two weeks after the surgery? And what about the sutures? Do they dissolve on their own or do you have them taken out and if so by your doctor or by yourself?

Thank you again

• Posted

Hi. I was under for 2 hours because my organs had fused so he sorted all out but because we hadn't discussed hysterectomy he only cleaned that op as needed my permission to do thay. Tbh that sorted all my pain for a while but I decided to have hysterectomy when the symptoms started again 6 months later and some of endo had grown back. After 1 hour in recovery room I was back on day unit for a few hours and would have been discharged but then they noticed a rash so kept me in over night to be on safe side. It was fine had minor reaction to the hormone jab they gave me to stop periods and block ovaries. I had one stitch on each of the 4 holes which came out a week later (had to make appointment with nurse at Gp surgery to get them out)and hardly showed by a month. Some drs opt for glue so no stitches to be removed. Good luck. Ps walking around helps recovery and gas pain in shoulders
  • Posted

Hi

I had a laparoscopy back in 2002, after suffering many years of pain and my male GP telling me that I had irritable bowel.

The procedure was carried out under general anaesthetic (which always makes me sick afterwards) but it's quick and I identified that I had endorsed surrounding one of my ovaries.  To add to that, it was welded to my bowel, and also had a fibroid wrapped around both.  My consultant showed my the photos.  He could have just removed that ovary and tube, but as I'd never wanted children (and was then 42), I didn't hesitate at having a hysterectomy.  I have never looked back.

Hope it all goes well for you, and that you get the answers you need.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi I think taking the laxatives as directed on the packet when you get home should be fine. The sutures dissolve on their own and they will probably ask you to make an appointment with your practice GP a week later so they can check the surgey wounds. I was operated on at around 10am and was back in my flat by 2pm. To be honest I didn't feel ready to leave but they don't have much space at my hospital to keep you for long. As long as your nominated person has arrived to take you home and you've had a drink and a biscuit they give you and you've been able to pee (they will ask you to and won't probably release you till you can but that is routine) then you are ok to go. I was very sleepy the rest of that day and for 3-4 days after. They recommend moving around as much as poss in the days after but I was in a fair amount of discomfort so I found it hard. I had a post op infection though so my GP gave me anti biotics. If you're finding it hard to move and are in pain 3 -4 days after it's def worth calling your GP but this is prob unlikely. I took 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen together every 4 hours. That was what I was recommended and I did that for a week. I was back at work after 2 weeks. Everyone is different so this is just my experience but if you are in any doubt at all afterwards post a question here or call your GP. When is your op? Mine is on thurs so I hope we both recover quickly! Good luck xxx
    • Posted

lots of info I'll forever be grateful this is all information I am desperate for thank you so very much!!! Will definitely take your advice doctor did say it usually takes 2 weeks to recover but she also said that everybody's different so we'll see! Mine is this coming Wednesday @ 11:00 am they've asked me to be there @ 9:00 am sharp knowing me though I'll definitely be there by 8:30 max I've had adorsal ganglion cyst removed two years ago so I'm kiiiiinda familiar with the surgical extravaganza I will have this surgery same general hospital and doctor mentioned I'll probably be released by 4pm and she said she'll follow up with me and will set that appointment for me ahead of time as well which is nice because I'm a no gooder at this point just overthinking everything nervous as heck I'm left wondering how do they prep us for a laperoscopy I can't wait for my doctor to call me to confirm the time of the procedure and ask her I'd be really nice to know really right? Did they tell you anything about the prepping procedure? prayers for you that you'll have a successful procedure and a speedy recovery! Thanks a bunch you've been a great help!

• Posted

Hi the prep is very straight forward. They just ask you a few questions and you'll probably have to give a urine sample but that's about it and then they take you in. You'll be in a surgical gown with your hair in one of those hats and paper pants (!). They should have already told you but no eating at least 6 hours before the op and you are allowed to drink still but not fizzy water until 2 hours before. Also no jewellery or hairbands or nail polish on your toes or fingers. I think that's it as far as I can remember! Good luck on Wednesday xx
  • Posted

Hi i am 29 years old and i have have had 9 laproscopies over the past 10 years. I have got used to the operation now. If this is your 1st laproscopy then be careful when you have had it done. You will be sore for a while and you could experience shoulder pain due to your stomach being inflated with the gas. Be careful bending and lifting and dont do to much take it easy. I had 4 incisions with mine 1 just above the pubic bone 1 in the belly button 1 on my left side and 1 on my right. I always cleaned them with luke warm salt water my stitches were dissolvable. Try not to panic it is the best operation to have to diagnoise endrometriosis and it is safe. The scars you will have will only be small. I have endo for 10 years if you have any questions please feel free to message me anytime and i will do my best to help
  • Posted

Ya'll are amazing thank you so much for all this info. I'll be talking to my doctor tomorrow and call me crazy but I'm nervous even about what goes inside the operating room I'm frantically browsing the Internet to see if they show how they would prep the patient for a laperoscopy and unfortunately I had no luck the only videos I found are of the procedure itself without the whole prepping extravaganza and I find myself with so many questions about that am I the only one or did you ladies wonder and question the same thing as me? All I know is it'll be done under general anesthesia...... I'm wondering how I'll be positioned and whether or not I'll have a breathing tube and however will they sterilize/ disinfect the surgical area etc etc >_< ......help me out here am i loosing it??!!! rolleyes do any of you ladies have something helpful to kindly share with me? thanks in advance ......help="" me="" out="" here="" am="" i="" loosing="" it??!!!="" rolleyes="" do="" any="" of="" you="" ladies="" have="" something="" helpful="" to="" kindly="" share="" with="" me?="" thanks="" in="" advance=""> do any of you ladies have something helpful to kindly share with me? thanks in advance >
    • Posted

You go in to the anaesthetic room. Either wheeled or walk. I've done both so depends on anaesthetist I think. They will confirm your name and what op you having. They will put heart monitor on and canular in arm which they pump anaesthetic in. That is last thing you will know. They put breathing tube in, put catheter in and paint you etc all when you asleep and these will all be gone by time you wake up apart from catheter. Sometimes you have oxygen mask on when you wake up. This is normal. On my two ops I had one on on 2nd op not first? Taking the catheter out doesn't hurt so don't worry.
    • Posted

Ps. I work alongside the teams that sterilise equipment. There are very strict regulations so all equipment will be sterile before use
    • Posted

this is really good info thank you so much you have no idea how relieved I am that you're one of the ladies that sat my post and kindly chose to answer with such valuable info!!

But what is a canular? Is it an IV? Also where do they place/ insert this catheter? And more importantly why do they do it? And how long after the surgery does it stay on?

Thanks in advance advance!

• Posted

Yes. Canular (may not be spelt right) is iv line in wrist so can put anaesthetic and then fluid or drugs afterwards. Catheter is put directly into urethra so you wee automatically into bag during op and for first night. That's why best to have Nightee . It doesn't hurt but aware its there when you move only coz tube hits leg plus you don't feel a need to wee whilst it's in it just happens. Even when i expected it i was surprised amount in bag each time as unaware happening lol. They can then measure fluids going through too. Once it comes out they check you able to wee naturally before you're discharged. Tip. Don't drink loads thinking it will help. My Mum did that on op recently and bladder said what the he'll is going on and wouldn't release it. Little and often is way to go. Sorry if tmi but at least you know 😉
    • Posted

Ouchi sure hope it won't hurt like you said! Thank you so very much for all this info that you freely provided me it has really helped in making a little less nervous thank you so very much I genuinely appreciate your help and everyone who posted such incredibly helpful answers to this post. You ladies are amazing xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.