Urgent Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to UC having been diagnosed in June 2014 and currently on 3rd flare. Had one last year which was only for around 10 days.

I'm currently experiencing a mild flare which is going to toilet approx 3-4 times a day after eating mainly but I am experiencing gas, stomach pains and blood in stools although some are solid.

I generally get symptoms from stress at work and as I am going away this week pressure has increased so I am putting it down to that.

I have increased my pentasa to 4g a day from 2 and also been given suppository to take at night.

Can anyone suggest anything else as I don't want to get worse over the week and miss my holiday as I'm going to Portugal on Sunday.

I have got some prednisone in case of emergency but loathed to use them as currently symptoms area too bad.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Carrie

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My advice is take the steroids. I'm tapering off a short course niw and it stopped the flare within 3 days.

I loathe steroids too but didn't want endless days of bleeding and urgency.

I did 30mg for 3 days and 25mg 3 days and will stop at 5mg for 3 days soon.

good luck and enjoy your holidays

j

• Posted

Oh good advise thanks Jackie. I could give this a try. Thank you.
  • Posted

Try keeping a diary as you may find certain foods can contribute to a flare! I certainly find that! Staying calm is a good idea but do persevere with the meds as often trial and error is what it's all about! I also try to eat at the same times daily, that way I am able to monitor everything! Also, whenever I plan to travel I find fasting and bottled water are my best friends! Hellish, I know but only way for me to survive! Meanwhile, good luck with your hol!
    • Posted

Thanks Ruari. I struggle with the food diary. I do weight watchers so i keep a track everyday anyway but I can never pin point anything.

Flares always seem to come when I've been on everyday food.

I'm drinking a lot more water and could try fasting on Saturday before I go, thank you.

• Posted

Stay at home.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,

I was looking for advise to ease mild symptoms. I've not experienced mild ones in the past so was hoping for someone expericenced it that might help. Staying at home isn't an option.

The symptoms are manageable and I am still going to work.

Thanks for your stay at home help.

• Posted

Hi carie

I've just returned from seeing my gastrointestinal consultant. He advised a longer duration of prednisone so reducing by 5mg a week.

I will do this as it will help keep the inflammation down.

j

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.