Uric Acid Levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Help. My first test resul was 4.3. One doctor told me thas was the high end of normal, and should not be considered high enough to cause gout, whilst another told me it was high, and did cause the gout attacks. My 2nd test was 3.4. I found it hard to obtain the info on the internet, but after a bit of digging I found the norm for a man varied from 3.4 to 7.0. In my humble opinion it would appear that my levels have never been very high. What do you think ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

There are two ways of measuring heated, so your results are per what?

Secondly when you were measured had you had a gout attack?

• Posted

Don't know what "heated" means. The blood tests were not done during an attack. Even my doctors know better than that !!

• Posted

Apologies for measuring heated. I wrote measuring urate and the autocorrect doesn't like urate.

As for your doctor knowing not to measure during an attack - there are lots who don't know that.

What I didn't get is - are you getting attacks of gout symptoms?

• Posted

Yes, 4 attacks in 3.5 months. Usual stuff, red swollen big toe joint etc
    • Posted

What is "normal" urate level is too high for someone who has already had gout attacks.

I'd still put my money on gout. The big toe is the typical place for it to begin.

An old injury years before will provide the "starting point" for an attack.

You could try to bring on an attack - eat a meal containing beer, anchovies or sardines and red meat. Have drugs ready!

• Posted

Your pseudo gout was exacerbated by your damaged toe. Your numbers are quite low with no risk factor for complications per medical standings.
    • Posted

Interesting. So you think it may be pseudo gout. I have had 4 doctors right this off without explanation. I have always believed that the injury and the gout are not coincidental, and a calcium crystal build up may be the problem.

One of the doctors I have seen also believes that the uric acid levels were to low to give me gout

• Posted

The only way that doctors can really know is by doing a test of the sinovial (joint) fluid. If not they are just guessing; they cannot be sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.