Urinary problems for months and it's making me miserable!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had urinary problems for months,(probably since about July) I've had a constant feeling of burning when I urinate so thinking I was on the verge of a uti I would drink lots of water and take cranberry tablets/cystitis sachets but the symptoms wouldn't improve. I eventually decided to go to the doctors as I was completely fed up and I was given an antibiotic for a uti, I've now had 3 antibiotics and symptoms haven't improved. My doctor also says my urine culture has came back clear everytime so I don't even have a uti, I've also been tested for every sti, bacterial/fungal infections and everything has come back clear. Over the last month my symptoms have also worsened where I am now feeling shooting/sharp pains in what I think is my urethra, it's not a constant pain but can come on at anytime when I'm walking, sitting, lying down etc and it's a horrible feeling that is definitely not normal. I've been given tablets from my doctor for an overactive bladder but I don't have any problems going to the toilet I just feel a burning pain before I urinate along with the shooting pains in my urethra every so often. I'm a 29yr old female and I'm at my wits end, my doctor doesn't seem to have a clue what's wrong and it's affecting every part of my life. I spent my whole Christmas break in my pyjamas not wanting to leave my house because I was miserable and my poor husband hasn't been getting any physical attention recently. Has anyone experience this before? A burning sensation before urinating and shooting/sharp pains in urethra? Any help would be much appreciated!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

look it up with a urologist for urethra syndrome it has a lot of pain in urethra they give antidepressives cause it is caused by stress...
    • Posted

Thanks for your comment. I've asked to be referred to urology but I could wait upto 12wks to be seen, hopefully it won't be that long. I don't feel like I'm a stressful person but I'll definitely consider anything at this stage.

• Posted

psychosomatics usually show up when stress cant be detected thats why they are created...i have urethra and bladder irritation after a uti and now i have it again after another uti... i had it for 9 months first and now its back...its cause of irritated epithilium but i am obsessed with the irritation that i feel  so from stress i create all this symptoms in bladder..write back how your symptoms are going 
    • Posted

I'm getting my blood taken tomorrow at the doctors and need to hand another urine sample in again, I think it's just a general wellbeing blood test and to possibly check if I have too much of anything in my urine. Since taking the overactive bladder tablets the symptoms have very slightly improved but I still feel a burning pain before I urinate, it feels like it's coming from my bladder rather than the burning you feel when urinating from a uti. I was feeling the shooting pains this morning again but it seems to settle slightly throughout the day. It's just so frustrating not knowing whats wrong, I've researched this so much and it could be a number of things. I wouldn't say I've had any stress in my life over the last few months to have brought this on but who knows.

• Posted

so its only burning in bladder not pain? do you feel anything else? i experience since i had my first uti (had lots of them) 2 years now sometimes a day a burning like dehydration in urethra that starts as discomfort and if i dont drink water it burns..when i drink water it goes away my gyno today told me i have sensitive epithilium and its irritated now from that uti i had(plus sex when i had now i dont dare to have ) and sometimes it takes a lot of time to go away this irritation..last year i had it for nine months like a throbbing slight discomfort in urethra sometimes pressure in the night when i concetrate more to it i feel pressure and like a burning in bladder all urologists say it is from stress cause im obssesed with it one year now ..my gyno is more hardcore doesnt think it is only stress says it is from the irritated epithilium and that burning when dehydrated says confirms it cause my urethra drys out and water helps...my vagina feels always dry even though i have fluids (lots of yeasts but this time not) but that burning during sex and after is from irritated epithilium always feeling like i have yeast and had a lots seems like always since the utis...same in urethra probably if he says so...but from stress we probably create more symptoms my pathologists insists (also gyno says lots of girls have these discomforts and they go away with time the area grows up) he isnists we have an irritation from a uti and after girls who focus on it from stress feel it constanly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.