Urinating problem

Posted , 9 users are following.

Most of the participants in this group know my story with prostate cancer. I just have a question about an issue that I am having while urinating. Urination burns and is painful. I went and had my urine tested, and it came back clear. I am a month and a half behind my biopsy. It feels like a urinary track infection or bladder infection. But, like I indicatefd my urine test is clear.

Just asking if any one else has had these symptoms after a biopsy or any time.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey there.

Yes I can remember that this happened to me and blood too.  They didnt bother to test my urine though just gave me the antibiotcs, and told me to drink lots of water.  It seemed to settle down after a while, taking Tamsilosin too.

Good luck

• Posted

Personal,

Did you experience this right after biopsy?

It has been 50 days since my biopsy. I would think it would be healed by now.

• Posted

yes absolutely!  For me this was soon after my biopsy so I am surprised they didnt pick up an infection on the sample they took for you.

You cant carry on like that so you need to have further tests to determine whats going on

• Posted

I had those symptoms also right after biopsy, and they cleared up. And this is why I am concerned. Been 50 days and it feels like a urinary track infection. But they say my urine is ok, clear.

• Posted

yes its weird isnt it.  You definitely need more tests to determine whats going on, it isnt right for sure.  Its nag the drs time I think
  • Posted

My understand that (not from experience) it is most often a result of a urinary tract infection. But you stated that your urine has no issue, it may also be due to an STD (sexually transmitted diseases), bladder stones, bladder tumours, and virtually any condition of the prostate (BPH, PC, or Prostatitis). It can also occur as a side effect of anticholinergic medication. Depend on your condition, you and your doctor can narrow it down for treatment. Sorry, it doesn't seem like a straight answer. Good luck.

• Posted

In addition to what has been said here, in particular Viet's comment in STD, I would ask the urologist about the merits of conducting a cystoscopy. This checks the lining of the bladder and, amongst other things, can identify stones, blockages,  cancerous growths  and non- cancerous growths.

And an uncommon problem, checking on the tubes that connect the kidnies to the bladder and verifying if all is as it should be.

I wouldn't wait if I were you.

• Posted

I had some sort of pelvic infection about a month after my biopsy. The doctor didn't examine me but put me on another course of Cipro (the first course was for the biopsy itself). That seemed to help.
    • Posted

I think my painful urination is caused by the biopsy. All the other condituions mentioned in here, I do not think apply to me. The best thing for me, is go back to the Doctor.
    • Posted

I think that is very wise Roger.

Actually I had complications after my my biopsy, although mine was just pain not so much a problem with urination.  I felt like I had the flu and a lot of pain, I spent a week in hospital having tests and lots of morphine.

Good luck Roger, let us know how you get on please

• Posted

FYI: The last fews may need to look into. You need to see your doc.

What are the risks of an ultrasound guided prostate biopsy?

For the risks of an ultrasound guided biopsy, please also refer to the section on after effects.

1. Haematospermia (blood in the sperm) occurs in over 90% of patients having the procedure and this can persist for 2 or more weeks.

2. Haematuria (blood in urine) is very common (over 60% of patients).

3. Blood in the faeces is fairly common, but is usually mild.

4. Infection is very rare (less than 1% of patients overall), but this can be severe if untreated.

5. Internal haemorrhage. This is exceedingly uncommon (less than 0.01% of patients), but if severe may require surgery

6. Rarely, urine retention can occur. If the prostate is very enlarged to start with, and bleeding occurs within the prostate as a result of having the biopsy, this relatively small amount of bleeding may be enough to cause a blockage of the urethra – the canal that transports urine out of the bladder and passes through the prostate. This can then lead to retention, which is the temporary inability to pass urine. This is relieved by the passage of a catheter, a sterile rubber tube, which is inserted into the urethra to relieve the blockage.

• Posted

Viet,

I have no problem urinating. The stream is fair, before biopsy it was good. My urine is clear, had it tested at lab. I will be seeing my urologist soon, and I will discuss the burning and tolerable pain associated with the sensations. I do thank you for all the support.

Roger

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.