Urination problems again!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello again, I have been here before about this problem only it seems worse now. So scared and nobody is listening to me. My low voids were improving last week, as was my poor frequency. Thought I was on to a winner. Was having 4 or 5 decent voids during the day and one or two really good ones in the early hours too. 700ml and 500ml within 2 hours (4am and 6am).

Then a week ago today, it all went wrong again. I ended up really sore with Vaginal Atrophy and I think this has resulted in me tensing everything up down below again. Of course this impacted on my urination and then I panicked even more so that the whole thing is on my mind 24/7 again.

As has been the case since last weekend, by this time ( 17.15pm) I've drank 1 litre and only had 2 wees since my early morning void at 8.30am - that was 400ml. My two wees only amount to 100ml altogether, if that. Because my voids are so low I darent drink much more for fear of damaging my bladder or my urination stopping altogether. So worried I'm not eating properly. Hubby thinks my loose cough won't be helping either.

I did see a Urologist not long ago after drinking 1.5 pints so he could scan my bladder and Kidneys. Also he checked my flow and output. All fine but it would be when I'd drank so much liquid in a short space of time wouldn't it. He was not the least bit interested in my low voids. I was surprised however when he told me I only needed to drink 1 litre of water a day. I spoke to nurse at Docs earlier this week and she said I should try and relax and bring back how I was feeling last week when everything was running well but of course it's not that easy. I know I will end up going to see her next week if things don't improve again soon. Really really scared. Anyone else in this position?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If I can be blunt here, I think you are obsessing over your urinary system too much. I began doing that when my urgency and frequency symptoms first started but all that worry and anxiety will only make urinary symptoms worse. I remember your first post. As long as you aren't retaining above a certain level of urine when you void, there is nothing to worry about. The post void residual ultrasound would have shown if you were retaining too much, meaning your bladder was not emptying properly. If that were the case, you would probably start having problems such as UTI and backup into the kidneys. If you are drinking a lot, not retaining in your bladder but not peeing much, your body must be using that fluid. Sometimes I drink a lot and hold my urine for many hours and when I finally pee, it's not as much as I thought it would be. If low volume of output is your only symptom and you don't have any other issues, I would stop worrying about it. If you think your urologist isn't taking you seriously and something else is going on, maybe seek a second opinion. But once several doctors come to a similar conclusion, it's time to focus on something else besides your bladder.

• Posted

No need to be blunt. I know I'm obsessed. I also understand that all my anxiety and worry will only make my urinary symptoms worse. Only trouble is it's not easy to stop being anxious etc when something is really scary. I'm surprised you remember my first post. I also understand about not retaining above a certain level when I void. But only having 50ml voids I'm convinced I must be retaining. I know what you mean about the post void residual ultrasound too but having to drink 1.5 pints an hour before it was done was ensuring a decent flow and void. Ordinarily there is no way I would drink so much so I didn't consider it a true representation of my bladder on a day to day basis. I'm sure you know what I mean. However 50ml voids or not, I've had no UTI'S of late and I would know if fluid was backing up to my kidneys wouldn't I. What do you mean by a lot? I drink 1250ml a day. Used to be more till my urination went wrong again. But yes I see that if I am drinking "A lot" , not retaining and not peeing much, my body must be using the fluid somewhere. It's just that I would have thought that having drank 1250ml, I would pee more than 3 times a day and more than a trickle too. What is a lot to you? Are you only voiding 100ml or something instead of 300ml or 400ml? Yes low volume is my only symptom though I do worry about the "Excess" fluid and fear it triggering another bad episode like I had in town last summer. Infact that's how all this started. It was such a bad and painful experience that I think it impacted on me Psychologicslly and something in my subconscious greatly reduced my urine output and frequency to avoid another possible accident. I've got to say that that experience was one of the most frightening experiences of my life that I never want to go through again. It was an absolute miracle that I didn't wet myself in the busy town centre that day. The Urologist didn't listen to me no. He was only interested in the facts presented before him that everything appeared fine. He told me to stop obsessing. God knows if it were that easy I would have done so from the outset months ago. Must admit I am inclined to think this is mostly a Psychological/anxiety problem. It's just that element of doubt that is scaring me. But I agree totally. I need to forget my stupid bladder. After all, urination was pretty good last week so there can't be much wrong. Hubby thinks it may be a bit better once I get rid of this loose cough.

• Posted

shirley

I'm so sorry to hear you still have problems.   I think we all appreciate when you are worried you can't just stop yourself from doing it.   Stress/worry are horrendous. You were probably feeling better last week because it was Christmas/New Year and you were incredibly busy and no doubt having fun with famlily/friends with not as much time to think about yourself.   

You admit you feel obsessive.  One thing you are in control of  is  to stop measuring how much you are voiding.   It is only a small step but will your life change if you don't measure?   Is it doing any good?   You are not gaining anything by doing it but when you measure you have to concentrate on your problem.    

Did you start your new job?   Being busy is not  a cure all but it does take your mind off things.   I know when i'm busy i'm not as aware of needing "to go".  I've had to accept my body has changed and I need to visit the toilet more often.    Sometimes it does come out slowly but mostly that happens when i'm very stressed.   I tell myself that's what it is and just accept it is slow and not as much is coming out.     I'm only suggesting this to people who have been medically tested and told there are no physical problems.  To anyone else reading this please go to Doctor and have ultrasound etc to check there is nothing going on inside you that needs to be treated.

It's a new year.   Try to just accept your body and you have to make allowances.   If you go shopping there will be toilets.   I have a 50 minute journey on a bus to my biggest town and once I get there I go straight to toilet whether I need or not.   I can then forget about it and concentrate on my hobby of shopping!!!

Your problem didn't arrive overnight and you do have a condition.  What you have to try and do is find a way that suits you to "manage" your problem.  

Good luck

x  

• Posted

Hi Vicki, Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Yes still having problems. It's true though isn't it. We can't just turn off worries, fears or anxious thoughts at the drop of an hat. And yes, stress and worry are horrendous. I think you are right about last week though. I was busy and having fun with family and friends and no time to think about myself.

Yes I'm obsessive. That's the fear thats making me that way. I have only really been measuring my early morning voids of late and actually given up the daytime measuring. Where I put 50ml or an 100ml etc, that's only a guess. You are right, measuring has only focused my attention more on the problem. The only thing now is that I have to see the bladder nurse a week on Monday and she wants me to measure all input/outputs for three days before I see her!

I started a voluntary job one afternoon noon a week in the hospital shop but didn't go last week because of a back problem plus I had an awful cough too. Still have. Hubby thinks the loose cough will be affecting my urination too. But being busy definitely helps, and being away from these 4 walls too.

It seems our problems are the opposite of each other. You want to go more often whilst I can go all day without wanting to go. Yet when I do go it's mostly a trickle. I've had scans of my bladder and kidneys, also the flow/volume test. All fine. But then the flow/volume test would be fine after drinking 1.5 pints an hour before the tests. Its not like I usually drink so much in such a short space of time.

Yes it's a New Year. But very likely I won't need toilets if I go out shopping. I know I used to after OAB episodes several months ago. But that seems to have settled down now. My fear that comes from not weeing much through the day time is more about the "Excess" fluid and I have some fear it may trigger an accident like it almost did in town last summer! Also scared my bladder may be damaged. But yes it's good to forget bathrooms isn't it and enjoy shopping. I love shopping too.

Interestingly the problem did arrive overnight! Apart from almost wetting myself in town that day, I did have an accident at home soon after my hip replacement. And it was that day that I realised the sensations in my bladder were all but gone and also my urination had virtually ground to an halt too. I still think it's a subconscious reaction to stop me having another accident like I nearly did in town that day. It was a terrifying experience that I don't want to go through ever again.

So I am inclined to think it's all about getting over being tense and anxious for me, especially as last week I was as near to being great as I've been in ages.

But for now I'm finding a way to manage my problem. At least I am emptying my bladder in the early hours. Don't know how much to drink though during the day without damaging my bladder till "Normality" returns.

Drinking 1250ml and hoping I will be ok.

Thanks again.

• Posted

it is ffrom stress totally..i have bladder irritation on off not pain and 4 urologists plus my pathologist and my therapist (my mother is also a psychologists she agrees too) it is from stress..it started last year after a uti and it lasted 9 months now after a uti again i have it again..like a throbbing slight discomfort in bladder and sometimes like a pressure especially if i dont drink water enough...i drink a lot every day it helps when my blladder is full after i urinater i feel a relief if i pee before it is full i migh feel the discomfort..i was obssesed too...almost depressed didnt go out...this year im better cause it went away last year...i was afraid of panfulbladder syndrome ic and urethra syndorme but one urologists said this have a lot of pain and urethra syndrome is from stress and they give antidepressives..so remember (i still look for my symtpoms im still worried but only cause they re psychosomatics...after this uti i have them again cause i was afraid i would have them again and here they are) like middlechild79 told you and i agree totaly with everything she said all this is from stress..remember anything that has to do with frequency and urgency pain pressure discomfort like lots of those syndroms have are due to stress and anxiety if you think about it all day you ll then have it even if you dont think it all day subconciously it is there! keep in mind what my best urologists said (well they all said that) if you let it go it will let you go..dont be afraid it is hard i fight it too but if you try and do other stuff and if youre tests are clean then you shouldnt worry you ll forget it! 
    • Posted

Thanks chrismj, I think it's a stress thing too. Good to know your Urologist, pathologist etc plus your mum all think your problem is from stress too. Sounds like the UTI'S are triggering your problem doesn't it. How much water do you drink every day. Not good being depressed is it. I must admit I've not been out and about as much in recent months with my problem either. However it's not frequency and urgency I'm troubled with. It's the complete opposite. However I still believe it's an anxiety thing. And I have been thinking about it all day. It's been troubling me so much. I know just what you mean about it being in my subconscious too. I can see I am going to have to let this go like your Urologist and everyone said. Yes it is hard. But the key is keeping busy and occupied isn't it. But yes my tests are clean so I'm going to have to try and move on because this is been an awful few months and I don't want to be like this any longer. I want normal urination back. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.