Urolift and a weak stream

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI i have a t last seen a Dr who performs the Urolift operation here in the UK and he is not sure if i am a good candidate for it as i have a very weak stream, on a scale i think he said 4? can anyone give me their experience if they dont have a strong flow?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't understand why having a weak stream would disqualify you from getting urolift. Pretty much everyone one with BPH has a weak stream I'm not a fan of urolift because its just pinning back the prostate. Sort of compressing the tissue. Sems to me to be a band aide approach

• Posted

Yes well he was telling me that urolift only improves your flow slightly and in my case probably not enough.
    • Posted

Many guys on here that have had great resukts with urolift. It didn't appeal to me though. YMMV

• Posted

I think the usual rider against urolift would be NOT weak flow, but frequency issues especially where the prostate is pressing up on base/neck of bladder; whether or not the prostate has a median lobe, that up-pressing messes up the empty/full signalling.  Putting bands that pull in side of prostate won't stop it pressing up (and intuition tells me could even exacerbate that).  Slow flow is what it can cure if that is due to restriction in the prostatic urethra, but some slow flow is due to a bladder neck restriction which would be cured, instead, I think, by a bladder neck incision, as I doubt (not that I really know) that the inner tabs of urolift could be positioned that high.  So maybe it is that, particularly if he has already done cystoscopy

Some medics don't seem to like to share the details of their (provisional) diagnoses unless pressed, do they ? They know best, and you should trust them ... etc. 

• Posted

Hi i have not had a cystoscopy yet he has scheduled me to have one so i guess that will help to make a decision.

• Posted

There are a number of things that a cystoscopy will reveal. The nature of the occlusion, the 'length" of the prostatic portion of the urethra which translates into the number of implants. As well, they will survey the interior of the bladder for issues.  There are several criteria for urolift candidacy gleaned from this procedure. 

It seems odd that the urologist would base urolift candidacy on stream 'strength' alone.  Be careful that his office just doesn't really 'like' to do them. 

• Posted

Well no he has been doing these since the start of urolift and is the supposed expert in the country so i am a bit surprised about his comments anyway i will wait for the test results and go from there i guess.
    • Posted

that's interesting, I spoke to one guy who had the Urolift when they were doing it for free as a study, I believe in Las Vegas - anyway he told me his stream was fantastic after the Urolift, but he still had to pee frequently because he thought his bladder was shot - so he still self catheters at night or before he goes out for a long time and wants to empty his bladder completely. He said sex was better than ever, personally I wouldn't want to rely on a catheter like that. Intuition tells me this is not a good solution but if it works for some why not? Like patching up a broken machine..

• Posted

I agree with Bill. It sounds like he may be more interested in doing a more extensive ( expensive) procedure.

Neal

• Posted

Well like i said to kenneth he is willing to do it but does not recommend it for me and yes its true he is suggesting a new trial that he is doing water abation therapy nothing really to do with money as its all free here in the uk.
    • Posted

You probably should see someone else who is more interested in working for your benefit then filling slots in a study. Most everyone has a boss, and I bet your doctor is trying to impress one. Having a weak stream is not a good reason to not get a Urolift. It's the reason men do get one. You need to ask him to explain his reasoning to you.

Neal

• Posted

I would disagree with that characterization. If you think about it patients in clinical trials get a much higher standard of care for several reasons.

1 The medical company wants good results so they can get FDA approval. That means they have strict standards on which patients to admit to the program. They want patients who have a high probability of a successful outcome. They also pick the top doctors in their field who will publish results so that other doctpors will follow them and adopt the new procedure.

2. Those top doctors have a reputation to protect too. They will not join a study that is quakery. They know that their work will be reviewed by their peers, the medical company, the FDA, the licensing boards, and the review committee inside their hospitals. They go overboard with caution when selecting patients and assembling their surgical teams.

So I do not believe that they will take any volunteer and shove him into a slot just to complete a study. I had to be screened physically and mentally and my primary care physician was consulted to get his approval too.

• Posted

Grant is in England, and I have no idea how studies are handled there, but I'll bet the United States Food and Drug Administration has little to do with it.

That said, there are duds in any large organization. I am not a urologist, nor even a physician, but absent some better justification from Grant's doctor than, You have a slow urine stream, so you shouldn't have a Urolift, I would be very concerned about the doctor's motives or competence.

Neal

• Posted

yes ive a lot to consider, of course your FDA has little to do with it here as you say, i will have the tests first to see if i am suitable and go from there

thanks for the imput.

• Posted

I am beginning to think that the key to success with finding the right treatment for LUTS caused by BPH is to seek out a larger urology group practice. There each doctor focuses on a different remedy or technique. Sometimes a single doctor can become a one trick pony because of the time and learning curve of the latest techniques so will gravitate toward one or two remedies or techniques that seem to always work the easiest for all cases. With a larger practice they can retain the "customer" and make a profit while offering a larger array of services.

Doctors are human beings and small businessmen who have to balance serving the patient needs without going broke. I am not a harsh critic of doctors, but I do criticize the system they have to work in being manipulated economically by government or insurance company rules.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.