Urolift Experiences

Posted , 32 users are following.

Greetings All, I am starting this discussion as a means of informing other men out there what they can expect from this relatively new procedure. I would ask that your experiences and comments be in reference to Urolift only.

I am scheduled to have this procedure two days from now.  My urologist says I am the perfect candidate. I am 65 years old with an enlarged prostate. I don't smoke or drink. I exercise regularly, including a 2-mile run three times a week. My primary symptoms are bladder retention (250 - 500cc) and a weak stream. I get up to urinate once each night and go maybe six times during the day.  I have been on meds for 8 years--Fanasteride (Proscar - stopped 4 years ago) and Doxazosin (Flomax - still taking.) No erectile disfunction. My expectations of this procedure are that my symptoms will remain the same and that I will be able to stop the Doxazosin. Beyond this, my hope is that my symptoms will actually improve. I will provide updates as I go through the process.

If you have experienced Urolift, please  join me in providing helpful information to others who are considering this procedure.

4 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Next
  • Posted

"I will provide updates as I go through the process." Please do, and God speed, my friend.
  • Posted

Excuse my ignorance, bill, but are you taking Doxazosin and Flomax?  Of the medications you've taken which, in your opinion, have provided the greatest relief?  Thanks, Alan.
    • Posted

Doxazosin is the generic for Flomax. I only take Doxazosin 4mg and this has provided the greatest relief. However, it comes with side effects. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner I get off of it, the better.
    • Posted

May I ask what are your side effects of the drug?
    • Posted

Understood, bill wdb.  And while I don't mean to put too fine a point on it, I do believe Doxazosin is the generic form of Cardura, while Tamsulosin is the generic form of Flomax.  I only know this because I myself take Doxazosin.  I value your opinion, which is why I'm asking.  Do you take Doxazosin or Tamsulosin?  Much appreciated.
    • Posted

I stand corrected. You are right. Though both Flomax and Doxazosin are both Alpha-Blockers, I believe. I am taking Doxazosin 4mg.
    • Posted

Dizziness--sometimes when standing or rising from a squatting position.

Heat rash on stomach and chest after working outside on a hot summer day. Not a problem from late fall to early spring.

Drowsiness--need a nap in the afternoon

A feeling of weakness

Difficulty adjusting to temperature change. I shiver uncontrollably when I step into the cold--and, of course, the heat rash.

Some night sweats.

• Posted

Hi Bill;  I had the "UROLIFT" in June of 2015. Went to Dr. Greg Andros in Joliet, Illinois.  Super nice Doctor-Extremely knowledgeable and friendly.  My only comment would be is to make sure that after the procedure that you stay at the Doctors office/Clinic/Hospital and drink alot of fluids and "pee" before going back to the hotel.  Here's in a short story form what happened to me.  They told me to go back to the hotel and drink lots of fluids and flush out all the clots, etc.  So I went back to the hotel (about 1:30PM) and started drinking fluids.  I drank about 64 oz. of water and then I catherized myself a couple of times and not much came out.  I thought well eventually the "river will flow".  WRONG ANSWER.  About 7:30 that night I literally couldn't pee even after putting the catheter in me.  It turns out that they gave me a "small catheter" and it didn't open me up enough to let the "clots" flow out.  My wife at 7:30 said "get your butt in the car" as "we're going to the "Emergency Room".  By then I was in "EXTREME PAIN" AND TRULY THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT".  We got to the Emergency Room and they put a "BIG CATHETER" IN ME and I flowed like the Niagra Falls !!!!!!   Here's the moral of the story.  Make damn sure that you can Pee Freely before even leaving the clinic.  Don't take their word for it that "everything will be just fine".  I can tell you with God as my Witness that was the most painful thing I have ever been thru.  Something I will never forget.  As far as the "Procedure Itself".  On a good night I get up 2 times a night and on a bad night I get up 4 times a night.  Good Luck to You Bill and "Please Keep Us Posted" as to your results.   I paid for my procedure out of pocket.  Plus the E R expense and flight, hotel, food, etc etc
    • Posted

Thanks for your input, which I sure you will be taken to heart. I know others will appreciate your post.
  • Posted

I had Urolift done on 15th september. I posted my results under the thread "More Urolift questions"

Mal

• Posted

Bill I would love to know how it works out for you please keep me up dated. Where do you live and what is the name of the doctor
    • Posted

I live near Little Rock, AR. Dr. Diaz is my doctor--Spring Hill Baptist, North Little Rock.
  • Posted

I had the Euro lift procedure done on 28th September 2015 after more than 30 years with an enlarged prostate. I was on flomax and then the generic tamsulosin all the time.

It has worked great for me. I stopped taking the tamsulosin 10 days after the surgery. I do not get up to urinate during the night at all; I sometimes sleep for 10 hours. I can go for 3 or 4 hours during the day without having to urinate.

I was the first patient that was treated in Torrance California by skyline urology Associates. It was performed by dr. Mark Stratton. Because I was the first patient I was completely put under anesthesia in a hospital. I had a catheter put in before I left the hospital and I did urinate; I kept it in for 3 days. I would anticipate that the results for other patients would be even better than my results since I was a guinea pig for this doctor and he is bound to get better at doing this.

• Posted

Hello Bill Hope all goes well for you.  The best thing you can do for yourself is to have the doctor put a catheter in after he put the clips in.  I had mine done in April and it was the best thing  I could have done.  No worry about clogging and I could rest more.  Some of the men that have had it done had to go back to the hospital because they could not pee.  It was only for 2 days.  Peed great after it was taking out  Good luck   Ken 
    • Posted

Hello Kenneth,

I am a 51 year old male with BPH and I just started taking the generic Flomax everyday.  I don't like the side effects and was considering Urolift.  I noticed you had a good experience a few years ago and I was wondering if the results are still satisfactory now?  I'd appreciate any advice.

With Gratitude,

Evan

• Posted

Taking drugs for BPH changes your life, almost invariably for the worse.

Urolift is a life-changer, almost invariably for the better.

I got my life back when I had my Urolift. 

It cost me several £K. Best money I ever spent.

IMHO you will not regret it.

• Posted

It will most definitely be the BEST move ever.  There may be some discomfort in the beginning but it is all worth it.  I still have to take a flomax every day but the results are so much better.  I can sleep all through the night with maybe one trip to the bathroom and when on a trip I don't have to stop every hour.  I am so glad I chose this instead of the other outdated and dangerous methods of Prostate repair.  

Ralph

• Posted

Ralph.  I am glad that Mine works as well  Over 3 years for me.  But other problem do come up.  Been doing great .  Just got back from taking a urine simple to my urologist.  Over the last couple of day It burns when I pee.  The last few day I have found drops of blood on the tip.  Peed very little this morning It was a dark color.  I sent him a message and told him I would let him know How I was Friday.  Well I had not peed since this morning so I said why not.  I have some catheter he gave me so I did it.  Got it in the first try even through it hurt.  What came out was dark redish brown.  I have not seen a urine sample like that since November when my bladder was inflamed I home he does not but me in the hospital for a flush.  Just give me a pill.  I guess that life  Ken .
    • Posted

I am sure that it was a big surprise, you might just have a slight infection that happens.  There are days that I don't pee at all some days it's non stop but I can't complain.  MUCH better than before...Good Luck...smile

• Posted

I am happy for you That all is working out.  Been good for a while I know things happen.  Doctor said he will get a hold of me when the culture come back.  Most likely in the morning.  Just went to the bathroom.  Same color.  My groin hurts.  Going to take a hot bath and relax.  I just hope he don't decide to put me in the hospital.  The last time this happy I was in the hospital.  Had to be flushed out and 2 days with IV antibiotics.  I guess that's life.  Take it easy  Ken  .    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.