UROLIFT-HAD IT THIS MORNING...............

Posted , 17 users are following.

Not quite as "simple" as I was hoping for.  Iam drinking a ton of water as its been 7+ hours now.  Had to go back to the Doctors office about 3 hours after procedure and the nurse showed me how to catheter myself- a new experience for me.  Right now at 7+ hours my wife and I just cathered me again a "second time".   Just took my first pain pill as it hurts like hell.  When I attempt to pee out comes about 10 drops of red blood.  Very little pee coming out.  The Uro thought I have clots up there.  Iam thinking it will be pretty much a sleepless night tonight but we'll see.  Much more difficulty than I was anticapating to be real honest with you.  Just for the record the Uro said my prostate was between 45 and 50 grams and he said I was the perfect candidate for this procedure.  The Uro put me on "Ciprofloxacin 500mg", "Phenazopyridine 200mg," "Hydrocodone 325mg", and "Rapaflo 8mg".  All 4 of these drugs are "temporary" until I heal up.  God Bless YOU Guys!!!!!!!!  I will keep you updated for those that are interested. 

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel for you, I had a Turp last November, it will get better ( hang in there )

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Howard;  I "THANK YOU" for the very kind words.  Its guys like you that keep me going.  God Bless You.
    • Posted

Chuck how old are you? Not trying to be nosey but I'm 24 going 25 later in the future I will need a pae or bph family issue....I love my sex life I am on and off with three different women and I have gotten prostatitis but I figured a way to beat it....here in vegas it hard to settle down since women are worser than men over here especially if they are dime pieces which is all I know how to get, and relationships don't exsist even you try your best to get married.... like do u still get hard ons man after your procedure let's us know how it is...do u still bust a load...? This will help us men around the world your words will be like a gold mine for us men....
  • Posted

13 weeks into recovery (going ok).. hang on, it will get better,, maybe a tough 2/3 days, then easing..........try and keep the faith. our thoughts are with you..
    • Posted

Surfman;  A "BIG THANK YOU" goes out to you my friend.  You guys are really great.  May God Bless You. 
  • Posted

Hi Chuck, Thank you for sharing your experience so far with the Urolift Procedure. S  I have talked with two medical assistants for Urologists that do the procedure and they don't tell you that it is that rough at the beginning.  But I guess all these BPH procedures have quite a bit of healing to go through at the start.  I sure hope you get to feeling better very soon.  I am planning on have the Urolift in November when I turn 65 and Medicare will pay for it as my insurance won't.  Who is your urologist?

Wishing you the best!.  

• Posted

Maybe try ibruprofen to to reduce inflammation and swelling. That seemed to help a lot the first week or two with my TURP.
  • Posted

Please clarify what procedure you had. Did you have a turp, a Urolift, or a PAE? In any case, our thoughts are with you.

Neal

• Posted

I have had both the TURP which was over 2 years ago and 3 weeks ago I had the PAE at Inova Hospital in Alexandria.

Very happy so far with the PAE which is so easy compared to the horrible TURP.

• Posted

Hi Chuck, you had it early it seems as I thought you had said July 15th. I had an overnight stay in hospital after my Urolift which made it easier I suppose. Had a lot of blood and clotting and the catheter was used to flush these out and they must have run 20 litres of saline through this and into my bladder and back out - however often the catheter would get blocked. When this happened they took a really big syringe and pumped saline up one of the other tubes and then immediately sucked it out again with the syringe - this often pulled out the blood clots so the catheter would start flowing again. the last thing you want is to have rentention. So be prepared to get this sorted if the fluid stosp flowing. I had acontinuous bright red flow coming out of the catheter for at least 12 hours but eventually it became clearer, however when they pulled the catheter out it flared up again. Everything came right though from there on in but they woudl not release me until I had peed over 150ml of urine by myself. Ity was still discoloured from blood for another day and then it all came right. Be careful of infections though from catheter and alwasy have some antibiotics ready just in case. When I got my infection I was peeing out large amounts of blood as well as clots and it took about 6 hours for this to get under control from the drugs and another week to come right. this happened quite some time after my operation to so it can lurk there for a while. Make sure you dont do any lifting or hard exercise for at least two weeks as this can affect it.

I feel for you Chuck, but know you have done the right thing, it's just the short term you need to deal with now. It is well worth it - yesterday I left work and realised that I had no needed a pee all day! That felt great.

Good luck mate. Kevin

• Posted

Dear all I have now done some hardcore research and there is no doubt that Memokath is the most less invasive solution out there. More than 50.000 have had a prostate stent and the only risk is migration but then it is easy removed and I can see then a new was inserted. There are no catheters usages after insertion and you can go home direct after the procedure because no anesthesia and it's 100 percent reversible means aleays can come back to where you started. Strange doctors are not using this. Kenneth mentioned thst there are tissue in growth I can see this are old stents designed like a mesh where tissue in growth is the whole purpose. But memokath is not showing this in studies. Www.pubmed.com anyway again my point is that avoid TURP or laser because there procedure can destroy your life. Good luck to all of us guys out here
  • Posted

Hi Chuck will cross my fingers that it's soon getting better. Even though it's hard time imagine if it was a TURP and the Urologist informed you after the procedure that sorry but you are now impotent or incontinence rest of your life. So just keep your head high I hope the best for you -smile
  • Posted

hello Chuck .. i hope everything works out for the best  I'm looking at having the same procedure done. Can you tell me where your located and where you had it done ?  i'd appreciate it 

Robbie 

• Posted

Hi everyone; Just a quick update as we have to be out of the hotel room in 25 minutes.  I ended up going to the Hospital Emergency Room last night as I just simply couldn't pee.  The pain with not being able to void is absolutely the worst I've ever dealt with.  They put in a fairly good size catheter and a Foley bag.  I wore it home last night and we finally got to bed around 2AM.   This morning went back to the Uro that did the "Urolift procedure" and he took the catheter out and said go drink a bunch of water and stay close to the Doctors bathroom.  Well Iam happy to say that now some 26 hours later Iam finally "peeing on my own".  Yeah.   Last night I had the nastiest looking blood clots coming out that I have ever seen.  Thats why I couldn't pee on my own as they were getting caught in the uretha and blocking me up.   The only thing that is happening right now is when I "got to go" I really don't have time to dilly dally as I can only hold it just so long.  The Doctor says it will all get better as right now it is all "inflamed up there".  Iam on 4 different meds to help with this.  Iam definitley feeling quite a bit better some 26 hours later.  God Bless all you guys.   My guy that did the procedure is "Dr. Greg Andros at Advanced Urology in Joliet, Illinois.   My wife and myself live in Omaha so we have a flight out of Chicago tomorrow at noon back to Omaha.  We could have drove but its a 10 hour drive and flying is just so much easier.   Take Care and thanks for reading and joining in.  I will report back in a couple of days.
  • Posted

Just another quick update.  Its now 6:30 pm and 32 hours after the procedure.  When I pee it still stings but its tolerable.  The only concern I have is a little sense of urgency when I need to pee.  In other words I need to be close to a bathroom.  Tomorrow we fly home.  Hopefully it will go ok.
    • Posted

Be sure you tell the airline when you check in for your first flight that you have a medical problem and need help. They will move you to the gate, and the connecting gate(s) in a wheelchair or cart. There's no charge. You don't need to be running through airports now

Neal

• Posted

Hi ChuckP,   I have been hoping to get more posts from you on your recovery from the Urolift procedure.  Your last post I think was 11 days ago.  Just wondering how you are doing and if your urinary function is almost back to normal.   I have a Urolift scheduled in early November.  You are the frist to mention that the procedure is not a piece of cake.   Thanks,  Terry
    • Posted

Hi Terry;  I wasn't sure if there was much interest so thats why I have not posted since.  Here's my report some 13 days after the procedure.  I was getting up 4 times a night and now it is 3 times a night.  Thats the biggest dissapointment.  I have a very normal stream now and no stopping and starting.  No more blood clots or ugly things like that just a normal looking clear urine.  The first few days (about 3) when I had to go I really had a rather sudden urge and had a little problem holding it very long. But that is now gone as well.  I feel good and everything is normal.  Have not had sex yet but do not anticipate any problem when I do.  I have absolutely no pain or discomfort of any kind. I take about 4 oz of "Tart Cherry Juice" right before bedtime as it has a sedative effect on the body.  I will sleep sound for 3 to 4 hours then get up for pee #1. Then sleep another 2 hours and get up for pee#2. Then sleep another 2 hours and get up for pee#3.   I hope this info helps you and others.  Good Luck to You in November.  You will not regret it.  One last thing and its "IMPORTANT".   After the procedure make sure you drink alot of water and relax and try to Pee.  Now, make an arrangement with your Uro to have him flush you out and irragate you if need be.  I got plugged up with all the clots and at 7PM that night (after the Uro's office was closed) had to rush to an Emergency Room to be catherized and foley bagged and the charges were almost $5,000.  Hospital emergency rooms really "stick it to you" on stuff like this.  By the way when we were in the hotel room I did catherize myself but nothing came out because the catheter that the Uro's office gave me was "too small" and the clots would not go thru it.  The catheter that the Hospital E. R. used was "Much Bigger" and I flowed like Niagra Falls.  I emptied out about 65oz of Pee and Nasty Blood Clots.  Terry, don't let this happen to you as I truly thought I was going to pass out right there waiting in the ER of the Hospital.  I can truly say it was the "Most Painfull Thing I Ever Experienced".   God Bless You.    ChuckP
    • Posted

Hi Chuck,   I really appreciate your reply.  I am happy for you that overalll the procedure has improved your life.    That's great that you have a good stream and no starts and stops.  You didn't mention urgency.  That is a problem with me since I travel a lot.   And it doesn't sound like the procedure has helped much for night peeing.  I get up about 3 - 4 times.  Does your uroligist expect this to get better for you over time?  I will be spending my first night in the hospital so hopefully so if I do have the problem with clotts that you had they can take care of it.   The best,   Terry
    • Posted

Hi Chuck, I had been wondering too. Sorry it is not going so well at the moment. My surgeon told me it would take 6 months for the bladder to catch up with the new flow volume as it had becvome such a big muscle having to push so hard. He gave me something to lessen the issue with the bladder which I took for about 3 weeks. Sorry I cant remember the name. I was sleeping for 4 or 5 hours at a time at the end of the first week - perhaps this helped. It cvoudl be the stuff that you are taking at night may be making you pee - like Alcohol would. The key thing to me is that you have a good flow - if that continues then I think things should settle down. I had mine on April 27th, so it,s been over two months, however I have had two UTI infections which have been terrible, one of whihc had me p*ssing what seemd like only blood and clots for several hours until the antibiotics started working. They say the infections are a result of the catheter - so watch out and be ready.

Good luck and keep us informed - hope you reach a tipping point and lal of a sudden you suddenly find yourslef sleeping 6 or 7 hours straight.

Kevin

• Posted

Thank You for the kind words Kevin.  You are truly a good man.  Its a shame you live so far away or I would suggest us guys get togethor for a "Uro Fest".  Ha-Ha.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.