Urolift of husband...what should he know.

Posted , 7 users are following.

my husband, 82 years old, is scheduled for a urolift in some days.  What should we be aware of...examples, catheters, pain, what preparations on his part..on the doctor's part.  This is his usual urologist so I am not concerned about that, but I do not feel we are prepared for possibilities.  Thank y'all.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Katherine I am glad to see you are concerned for your husband.  I am 60 and had a urolift done last year in April. 4 implants  All went well.  I have a problem peeing on demand so I talked it ober with my doctor.  He put a catheter in.  With the urolift they don't use a catheter it up to your doctor.  That was the only time I had one.  It's only for 2 days.  If your husband get one it may be easy for him  Your suppose to rest when you get home and this way you don't have to get up to go to the bathroom.  He will have some blood coming out of the tip you just have to clean it well so you don't get a infection.  With mine within 24 hour my urine was clear and didn't have any clogs.  It is also better because I have had some friends that had it done and there doctor did not put a catheter in and they had a problem peeing so they had to go back to the hospital and have a catheter put in.  It saves time and pain because it put in after the implants.  Don't know if he ever had a catheter before but it hurts when it goes in but I did not feel anypain when it came out.  Also when they take the catheter out have your husband ware a male pad because on the drive home he may have to go to the bathroom and the pad will hold it if he leaks.  I was glad I had one on.  After mine I was off all meds and sleep all night.  The doctor will give  if something for pain.  Take care if you have any questions just ask  Ken   
  • Posted

As Ken said your hubby should go home with a catheter in place. If he does not need it, it can easily be removed in a day or two. After my Urolift procedure was done they had put one in me after the procedure was done. They wanted to see if I could pee after I awoke from the procedure. Well I did pee a little and they were glad. So they removed it and sent me home at 11 am. It took an hour to get home. Buy 1:30 pm I was pacing the floor back and fourth like a wild animal because I had to pee very bad but I couldn't pee AT ALL!!! I hopped in my car alone and drove to my local hospital 7 minutes away. I paced the Emergency Room intake office like a wild man until they took pity on me, bypassed everyone else in the emergency room and sent me down the hall to a patient room. Then I waited for the nurse to show up. More time! She could do nothing until the floor doctor saw me first because they did not want to over ride my Urologist's Urolift procedure. More waiting!! You literally feel like you are going to explode! I had the cold cold sweats the whole time waiting since 1:30 pm. FINALLY the girl put in the catheter... what a RELIEF! All of this could have been avoided if I went home with the catheter. My Urologist said about 30% of men need a catheter after the procedure. And you won't know if you need one until you can't pee! And Ken was also right to have a couple of adult diapers with you in case of leakage. Better to have than not. I wore the catheter from Monday till Friday. They are a slight pain in the butt but you learn to move around and shower with it okay. And don't be surprised if pee and blood passes out along side of the peeing tube onto the floor or chair instead of the leg bag. Put a big towel under your hubbies butt while he sits in his favorite chair. The leakage can be messy with the red dye medicine pills they may give him. I know all of this sounds pretty bad but if you are not pre-informed you will be quit surprised IF it happens! My doctor told me nothing of the possible ills that could occur. But your husband may not go through the mess I endured at all either. Its just better to be prepaired for the worst and then enjoy the best if none of this happens to him. Every man is different but I hope his procedure goes well for him. It is still worth having it done so in time you can pee once again.  
    • Posted

Yes.  I felt it was best for me and so did my doctor.  I would rather it be put in while I'm out they when I'm awake.  After it is done come home and lay down you will be tired.  I took my pants off and had a towel on my bed and just relax.  Had a sheet to cover me but that was it.  My son live with me he's 33 and he stay in his room and if he cane down the hall I just cover up  Take care and good luck  Ken
    • Posted

thank you for this reply.  These note are really helping me get a sense of what we need to prepare for.
  • Posted

Katherine; I notied Ken answered you very exactly and directly with much information. I have my prostate pushing against bladder; so I have retention. I imagine I will have to go through some procedure soon; but do not know which. Thanks for asking for assistance; is appears the guys who answered you where friendly knowledgable and kind. Take care.  Mark
    • Posted

Mark thank you.  The urolift was best for me.  I did not want them cutting or burning my prostate.  Do many side effect.  If you know what I mean  Take care and I hope you get better.  If you have any question just ask..Ken 
  • Posted

Had mine in July '15 WORTH IT.  Spent the first two hours after in the restroom peeing blood.  No biggie...just has to be done.  Will need a urinal thing to pee in during the ride home.  Blood clears in a few days.  Each time they put one of those thingies in they have to come out and reload the machine for the next one.  I had six so there were six trips in and out.  And BE CERTAIN ABOUT INSURANCE COVERAGE....doc and his staff all said no worries....but insurance turned me down so I have a bill for $18,000   Urolift attorneys are helping me appeal but damn that's a rude surprise after all the reassurances.  Yes, I'm in the U.S.   Joy now is to get 3, 4 or 5 hours sleep without having to get up and pee.
  • Posted

I haven't had that proceedure so I don't know.  There are others on this group who tell about their experiences.  You could also find information on the web through a general search.
  • Posted

If your husband ends up with a catheter, clean the tube where it exits his penis with a cotton swab with 50% water and 50% peroxide solution. Then use another swab to apply petroleum jelly (Vasoline ) liberally to the same area. Do this as needed several times a day as needed.

Unlike a woman's vagina, a penis has no natural lubrication. The unlubricated tube from the catheter will abrade (rub) the inside of the end of his penis causing bleeding, blood clots, and a great deal of pain without this lubricating jelly.

Neal

• Posted

Thank you for adding that.  I did say to clean it to stop infection.  I was in a ruch.  Thanks again.  It does help.  Also make sure they don't put in on so tight.  Give it some lee way. Because when you get up you won't pull it out.  Thats not good  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.