Use of crutches.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi folks, 

just had an interesting thought about those of us with no "good leg" after fracturing opposite ankle when we had pre existing injuries to the other leg.  I am 17 weeks out from Tri malleoular fracture, ORIF, and dislocation and am trying to wean myself off elbow crutches.  As soon as I fully weight bear without crutches I limp badly and am getting pain in my opposite knee where I have severe osteo arthritis.  If I use my crutches just as stabilisers walking through them total weight bearing I do not limp and do not get pain in the other knee.  What do others think of this practice? It also helps me overcome the fear of falling and I can walk at a faster pace.  Around the house I am not using crutches at all.  Thoughts?   Speedy recovery all. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cynthia. I use my crutches with wide attachments on bottom, with a marching action. Left leg, right crutch. Helpful for me. My no good good leg is a mess. Supposed to put weight on other leg to give it a rest. Great. It can't happen as it has soft bone 8 months after I broke it, 4 months after I had bone graft. Just went in for steroid injection today. Same boat as you really. I have no arthritis, just a bakers cyst from a previous injury 3 years since. Coupled with my husbands slow scaphoid recovery.

I love the way we share stories here. Its inspirational.

I'm used to being fast , and find Crutches a pain as I don't have free hands. I go between knee scooter, walker and crutches. I'd rather have a walking stick than crutches and have a free hand.

®{°×°}®

• Posted

Hi Tituscanby,

It is great the way we can share stories and make suggestions to each other through this forum.  It is for the very reasons you state that I am keen to try to get out of this injury with no further damage to my other former bad knee.   I have had numerous operations on that knee and next step is knee replacement. The longer I can put that surgery off the better.  I have been much luckier than you with my ankle breaks given that they are healing well with the only problem being nerve pain.  I really feel for you with the Bakers Cyst and the soft bone slow healing of the ankle fractures.  I agree carrying things is difficult on crutches but a backpack or hanging light bags over the handgrips is getting me by as I want to keep limping to a minimum as I have this real fear that limping is what is going to accelerate problems in the other leg and hip.  I am making sure I almost carry the crutches just touching them to the ground as I walk through them.  I am just hoping I am doing the right thing.  Can only try.   I wish you and your husband the very best for both of you with your recoveries.  It must be so hard both being struck down together.

• Posted

Thanks. I don't care if I limp in the interim. Least of my worries.

Hard having 2 injured. Very rarely are we both on a high. Its almost like half time. Change ends of the house! Ha

Nerve pain sounds awful. I feel like I have a nerve pain in my Bakers cyst knee. Managed it for two years, like you, old problems come back to haunt me.

I felt old today. Walking into chemist with Walker like a 95 year old. Found myself apologizing to the people looking at me.

Oh well , I'll get over it.

Take care

@(*^*)@

• Posted

I can well and truely understand why you would be using a walker rather than crutches.  The walker would be spreading the load as much as possible anyway.  You use what works for you and apologise to no one.  It would be so much easier to just give up and feel sorry for yourself.  I did a bit of research and the bakers cyst can indeed cause nerve pain if it is big enough.  Is your surgeon intending to do anything about the bakers cyst or has he put that one in the too hard basket.  Let me know how you get on with it all - life is pretty unfair sometimes in what it deals us, but through it all I detect she haven't completely lost your sense of humour. xx
    • Posted

Waiting for ACC To approve the injury that caused the bakers cyst.

Humour is always left leg in me as long as I'm more than than 25% on the up. Under that I cry. Done a lot of that is n my life. Especially of late. You share the same name as my mother. Nice! {°÷°}

• Posted

I just replied to Patti, to say that I am just on my way to Phuket from Australia.  Thought when I booked two weeks in the sun  by a swimming pool I would be further on and pain free.........not to be but will still try to enjoy myself as I saw a surgeon yesterday about my cochlear implant and may have to have two surgeries on it when I get back as well as the orthopaedic surgeon is wanting to take out one of my plates and five screws in early September.  Just want to be pain free and mobile again but determined to forget it all for two weeks and just rest and hydrotherapy in the sun.  You help so many people on this forum. Don't let yourself slip below the 25% mark too often, you and your hubby deserve a break too........not bones of course! 
  • Posted

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. You want to try to keep the limping down so you don't get hip and more knee problems. I think it is all about getting there any safe way you can, and gaining strength on the injured foot. Try also just rocking back and forth in front of your bed from foot to foot (5 seconds each side if you can). Anything to gain strength on the injured foot, which will help take the pressure off the other. Keep up the great work!
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Patti,

I am on a big challenge at the moment.  Just waiting for an international flight from Melbourne Australia to Phuket.  Thought I would be miles ahead of where I am with my recovery and so months ago booked this holiday for two weeks to lounge in a very warm climate in a direct pool access room to recover.  If I can just get through the flight about 10 hours without too much swelling and nerve pain pain.  Very pleased already that I opted to bring both crutches as the footpaths will be uneven etc.  don't care if I even leave the hotel though as it is all I dreamt of when I first did the injury.  Plenty of hydrotheraphy my doctor has said!   I struggle with the depression too as I have a cochlear implant that uses an abutment and that is playing up and surgeon wants to operate on that when I get back home, as well as the orthopaedic surgeon wanting to operate to take out one of my plates and 5 screws.  So with 3 more surgeries on the cards in the coming months I just want to be pain free and well again, so holiday one bright spot.  Keep that sense of humour as you are a great contributor on this site inspiring myself and many others.

• Posted

Hope you are wearing compression socks!

Check out Sand pan bottoms for crutches on amaz....

Look brilliant for all terrains. Get a walker with seat to use when you get there. Hire one?

Enjoy.

(*+*)

• Posted

What about drinking plenty of fluids and taking pain pills so you can sleep part of the trip? Maybe bring a small pillow to put your leg up on the tray in front of you and compression socks. It will be easier than you think. Maybe ask for a wheelchair to get to the gate, so you don't get too tired. You need this vacation! You will have a great time! Have a tropical drink and think of us when you get there!
    • Posted

Thank you Patti for your sound advice.  I did dose myself up for the plane trip but was unable to elevate my leg much at all as the seats were too close together and I wasn't dexterous enough to use the tray table for that purpose...........I only wish ..........lol. Thankfully the crew must have radioed ahead for me as a wheelchair met the flight and took me through customs etc.  Went to the hotel Spa today who offered a 'rejuvenating spa package' that included a very hot steam treatment,  2 hrs of massage and a facial. Very nice to to be pampered and spoilt for the time.  Nearly asleep lol. Very big day. Will write again to you later. 

• Posted

Such great news! You deserve that!! Did you have that drink for us yet?
    • Posted

Dear Patti,

indeed I did have that drink for my friends on this forum. I had a Pina Colada.  I am so pleased I brought both my crutches with me.  There are steps everywhere and tiles everywhere at the hotel.  Some are dull in finish and non slippery but many floor tiles are highly polished and smooth and the grips on the bottom of my crutches are slipping on them so much so that I am having to look at the floors the whole time and walking around the shiney ones.  So scared of slipping and falling again.  The Thai staff everywhere are so attentive and helpful and respectful of my temporary disability.  That Thai massage this morning I felt so emotional as I felt myself truely relaxing and letting go of all the tension, frustration, pain and emotion I had been bottling up so tightly for the past 4 and a half months. Yes my ankle still hurts and it  is swelling more than ever but it is so nice to be away and rewarding my husband and giving him a well deserved break from all the caring duties he has done for so many months without a word of complaint.  Wish I could bundle you all up and give you all some well deserved pampering!

• Posted

I think I speak for the group...it just makes us so happy to hear this!! Be careful if the tiles are wet too. I slipped around with my crutches twice on wet ground. The crutches don't seem to work well with wet ground...at least mine didn't. Get another massage and pina colada for the us!
    • Posted

Only brought the crutches with me so will be very careful.  As for another massage and Pina Colada, damn, I guess I will just have to do it for the team haha.  Honestly guys I don't know how I would have got through the last four and a half months without reading your stories and getting advice and understanding from others on this unplanned medical and emotional  journey
    • Posted

Hire a Walker lol. With seat in case you get tipsy!

You can have mine. I don't drink.

@("+")@

• Posted

Ha ha  I don't drink much either because of the meds and I had had three gins for the first time in months the night I had my fall that broke the ankle.  See what happens when I have a few drinks!😎

Walker no good to me as steps everywhere in the resort😱

• Posted

No because I only heard of them a day or so before I left Australia with no time to find them
    • Posted

Look when you get back. Amazon . I don't have them. Won't ship to me. Can get for walking stick too.
    • Posted

Not sure they will ship to me either? Somethings they do other things they don't.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.