Using a home colonic irrigation kit to help with prolapse and IBS generally

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday the qufora nurse came round to show me how to use my home colonic irrigation kit, its a short thin plastic tube, detachable lubricated head which fixes one end and the other a lightbulb shaped sized plastic container if you like, which you fill with lukewarm water from your bathroom basin sit on loo and insert lubricated end, you dip it in the water to activate the lubricate sollution, then you gently squeeze the pump twice and fill lower colon with the water, that circulates and is said to improve bowel function.

I tried it out myself for the first time this morning, its to be used daily and my verdict so far is I was still having to digitally assist, but only went twice today, that morning actually, but I have with my prolapse and bowel related issues, well I usually open my bowels up to 15-20 times a day and this has been going on for six years, despite corrective surgery, which didn't work, and the medics drawing a blank as to what to do with me and my frightful straining, frequency and digitating scenario.

Anyway, there must be some improvement as i have only gone twice all day long, and normally in the evenings particularly after I eat my tea although I can need the loo quite independently of food intake, that's partly what's so annoying, most of this is(!!) but I will let all know after a week of using, its to be used daily and continuously as they have filled in the paperwork and got me on their books and the Quofora nurse simply drops the kit round to you every two weeks.  You throw the heads away, dispose so its quite hygenic.

I really feel this may help me long term as I've also had a lovely warm, settled calm sensation in the bowel since using it this morning and that's unheard of for me, really if you suffer with any similar bowel flow issues or IBS etc I'd say it was worth a try but will write a follow up on this post after a week has elapsed of using it, best wishes, Fiona

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed one of these kits about eight years ago but found it so fiddly to use that I gave up.  (I have double incontinence due to surgery to remove a large cyst in the sacrum).  Sounds as though you have had a miserable time of it over the last few years, having to go about 20 times a day.  However, if using this kit means you only go twice a day, then that's excellent. 

I found the whole procedure very time-consuming, but it may be that the equipment has improved over the last eight years.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the oroginal problem?

• Posted

Hi Janet, it was a prolapsed bowel I had, and the X rays and colonoscopy didn't identify it for nearly three years, then they did a hands on under anathetic examination and discovered I was fully prolapsed, I could have told them that from the start, but iunbelievably they are still trying to make out recent Xray results are showing an improvement and it's better, you would think they would have learnt by now.

I hope you find something to help x

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

It is a very interesting post, thank you for sharing.

I wonder how is it after 3 weeks, did you get used to it?

I would like to know how did the qufora nurse show you how to use, is it easy to understand?

• Posted

Hi Ana, yes it's quite simple, because of the way my colon is distended I am still yelling straining and digitation like a gooden but I find I'm a little less frequent and anything that helps can't be bad x

• Posted

Hi Fiona, thank you for your answer.

I have sent you a direct message, I don't want to bother you so please tell me if you don't want to answer my questions smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.