Using contact lenses to strabismus?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi!

I have a had strabismus for 20 years now and I use glasses which 

don´t have prism to keep my left eye straight. Would contact 

lenses work in a same way as glasses do because like I said,

I don´t have prism? I have read that it´s not possible to use

contact lenses if you have prism but because I don´t have it, I´m interested to know can they fix my problem.

To my eyeglass prescription doctor has written

that my sphere is +1,75 in the left and +1,50 in the right and cylinder

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, how do your glasses keep your eyes straight without prisms? I had prisms for years but just had surgery as it was too bad for prisms to control but still have all the double vision.
    • Posted

I had strabismus surgery in age 5 and it almost fixed my left eye totally. I think the reason why I don't have to use prisms is that because of the surgery, strabismus in my left eye is so small that glasses without prisms can control my eyes and keep them straight. That's why I'd like to know would contact lenses control my eyes in a same way as glasses do because I do not need prisms.

• Posted

I would imagine then if you don't need a prism then you should be able to get contact lenses. How small is the turn in your eye? Last check I mine was 8 prisms close and 4 distance that is after 3 surgeries in the last 5 months but don't have glasses now as for some reason prism in glasses wouldn't work.

• Posted

I'm sorry but I have no idea about the turn in my eye because there's no information about it on my glass prescription. But I can say that when my eyes aren't tired, both eyes are normal straight. When my eyes are tired, left eye turns inward but only few degrees. But it's still noticetable. I have been trying to find confirmed answer to this problem but haven't succeed yet. For me it makes sense that if I don't need prism, contact lenses should work too.

• Posted

I can't see why it won't work, if there is no prism then it should just be a normal prescription that goes into the contact lens. Make an eye test and ask about it or just pop in i am sure they will be able to tell you for sure by looking at what prescription you have

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.