Using suppositories so many difficulties and about on 8th attempt

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

8ve been diagnosed for about 20 months now- I have proctitis and am on azathioprine and entyvio infusions due to bad flare.

Time and time again the suggestions from doctors is suppositories - and I just CANNOT get in with them.

I would say I've given them a go around 8 times (mezalazine and Prednosolone at the same time) as well as the foam. Either they haven't worked or jut using them is so inconvenient- finding a time when they might stay in- even at bedtime I can still feel urgency- I suffer with chronic constipation so it also feels very counter intuitive to shove two at a time up the wrong wat. I've got all the gear- lube,gloves the want to yet better but I find establishing and maintaining a routine just impossible. Has anyone had success with anything this localised that I can talk to the gastro about it any suggestions for what to do? (Eg. Just shove them up there whether I feel like it's a good idea or not?!) I'd really welcome anyone who has has a similar experience.

Also please nobody leave messages about diet or special water I just want to get this issue nailed down.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I couldnt do suppositories also, every time i took one it gave me the urge for a BM. I had the same issue with rectal foam steriods, easier to take, but just made me go straight away.

I tried all sorts of lube, even an anal sex lube that was supposed to relax the area (good job for the internet and discrete packaging wink ) but still struggled.

I ended up having to take it orally, they are maybe not as affective but it was the only thing I could do. The other issue I had was that i was suffering for a "ring of fire" so it was extremely painful to even try!

• Posted

Oh I'm SO GLAD!!! someone else has said this!! I really just get 'well give it a go' from doctors. I'm not a princess about these things and if something is a bit grim I just get on with it but those. .....and the foam just burns! Plus going anywhere- I have to take my suppositories, my analysis lube and my rubber gloves in my bag- like because that sounds sensible and discree! I guess it's about making a commitment to something but it feels like a whole lot of faff and commitment for something with hardly any payback. What happened to matching the patient with the medication?
  • Posted

I spoke with a senior nurse who did tell me I'm not the only one who struggles with this and it does often cause the urge to go...

Its always the way...if there was nothing wrong then I'd guess it wouldnt be so hard to use them!

Don't give up, stand your ground and I've found that you need to keep pushiing or you do get the "give it a go' response!

• Posted

Thanks!!! People did say today at the endoscopy unit 'it is a bit of a theme' but no other options were forthcoming! Like what can you do- a dr is saying 'this is how we treat you and effectively you are seen as refusing that treatment rather than it been seen as something that is entirely non friendly to the user! It drives me up the wall+!!
  • Posted

dear sage. i know how you feel. when i was inflamed it was very painful to do as not only are you sore, but the passageway to put the damn things is reduced due to inflammation! i could only use them at bedtime due to the problems of worrying about them staying in & also sometimes some of the capsule used to discharge out a bit once it had broken down, so i didnt want any possible marks on my clothes round bum when out in public! i used to find the best way was to (just before going to bed) cock my right leg up on bath keep left leg on floor. put a little boots lubricating gel around the "hole" & just inside with your finger. wash hands.dont use vaseline as it creates a barrier against the med being absorbed. then get into same position & slowly push the suppository up until you feel like its been sort of "sucked" in enough. then stand still & tense up your rectal muscles like you are trying to stop an urgent poo! (sorry best way to describe) it should feel like you are sucking up with your rectal muscles. then go to bed. i think this helps to keep it in & going to bed keeps you still. (best if you lie on your side). if you have to use 2 at a time which i have never heard of - doing 1 is bad enough, personally i would try doing 1 at a time every other night eg steroid one night, mesalazine the next night & so on. hope this helps. x
    • Posted

Thanks very much- Yep at one point I was on four a day- frankly with a full time job there's only so many hour gaps for getting them all up there! It's not a bloody cupboard is it?! Xx
  • Posted

Hi - I have been taking asacol suppositries for many months. Only at night tho - they said I need to do it in the morning but I dont have time. I lay on my back and watch telly or read as it makes me forget about it. then I sleep. I use a lube after I have run it under a hot tap for a min. oh...I forgot to say I dont actually put it in! my husband does bless him! he deserves husband of the year award,,,eeek!!!
  • Posted

Hey, I've only ever had liquid solution enemas, took me a while to get used to but never had a problem, have you tried those? My doctor tried to switch me onto suppositories but I said no way!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.