Uterine Fibroid Embolisation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all just an update I am now nearly 4 months post op. I am currently having a period. Day 1 heavy day 2 heavy and painful day3 light now I have stopped bleeding now I can't believe it. So I'm buzzing hopefully weight loss and small stomach as well

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Just wanted to add I had Utetine Fibroid Embolisation in Jan 2016

• Posted

please keep us informed, I am refered to the hospital to do it. The docotor gave me Ezmya to shrink my fabroid, have you gone to this process? 
    • Posted

Hi Farida I have not had Esyma but I took Zoladex which is similar effects I think and it was to shrink the Fibroid. UFE takes 6 months to work so I'm now 4 months post op my periods have improved a lot and my tummy has gone down a bit. Hoping for more shrinkage in the next 2 months. I would recommend this as recovery was not bad and it's a lot less invasive than a Hysterectomy xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much Patricia for getting back to me, glad you are getting better. The Husterectomy is quite a major operation.
  • Posted

Thanks Patricia. I am one month post UFE and my first period has been quite heavy. The bulge on my tummy has improved though and thanks to your comment I will be patient and wait for the six months waiting period that the doctor advised. The periods, he said should also get lighter after about 3 cycles.
  • Posted

Lucky you! I had the same done in Jan for a 13cm fibroid. My first period after was so-so. Then had a 37 day cycle and a v.bad period, followed by a 19 day cycle, getting my period 9 days ago and which is still in full swing. Terrible pain, clotting, very heavy. I thought by now it would have eased up, I just hope the end is in sight, these are worse than before I had the UFE, so you're blessed!!
    • Posted

Hi Jane, I was under the impression that the period stops completely after the UFE! Hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Hi Farida, I had been told that periods *may* stop completely, but not necessarily. They may also return to *normal*, whatever that means (average normal?  Or what once was normal for me?). And there's a 15% chance (at least for my region) that it doesn't help at all. 
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, I found this board while searching for others' experiences because I had a UFE (UAE here in the US) on April 12.  All bleeding and discharged stopped about April 27th, and I was so thrilled.  Then Friday, May 27th I started bleeding. I was disappointed the procedure didn't completely stop my periods, but assumed it would be reasonable or light.  But Saturday & Sunday I am experiencing super massive heavy flows. Just as bad as before any of the procedures I've had to help this issue (this is my third try at something, and they've all helped a little, but not enough or long enough).

I'm worried now that UFE also won't work, and I'll need the hysterectomy anyway.  So before I jump the gun, I'm trying to find out how other women experienced the first 6 months. Is it common to have heavy periods?  For how long? My periods used to last 12 days. Did anyone else with have long, have long periods return? Has bleeding gotten worse for anyone?  

I'm very relieved to hear you say after 3 days it ended. I gives me some hope still.  I'm leaving for Vegas in 5 days, and would prefer not to have to pack a giagantic box of super-plus tampons (oh wait, was that too "American" of me? smile  Sorry...  Take care, and thank you. 

• Posted

Sorry Deanna, I had mine 2 days after yours and my first period was horrible, was that before. Went to the doctor and got some medicine to reduce the bleeding which didn't help at all, lasted a week. I was told that it would take about 3 cycles, I can only hope and pray. Let's give it time and see.
    • Posted

HI Lilian, It's comforting to find someone in the same boat.  I take prescription Ibuprofen (800mg) which supposedly lightens the blood flow and inflamation.  It does make me more comfortable, but it's hard to tell if it's reducing the flow.  It's actually better today.  It seemed to peak yesterday, and it felt devastating.  I will send good thoughts your way and pray for us both smile (for me to have patience smile
    • Posted

Well, I have to say I'm hopeful again! After about 2-3 days of super heaving flow, it lightened up dramaticially and then disappeared around day 6 or 7.  I can't live with this compared to what I had before.  So I"m crossing my fingers it continues to get better (I'd love for it to go away entirely) or at least stays the same.   Hope you're doing as well Lilian!
  • Posted

Hi Patricia How r u now .Could u tell me did u have embolization on both side's I'm asking because I had on one side only .Is 6monts since and still having all the same pains like before thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.