Uterine Fibroid Emobolism sept 2016 now I'm premenopausal!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello ladies, I wanted to know I'm I the only

One this has happened to? Now I wish I would have never had this surgery . September 16th I had the surgery October had a regular period noting heavy and I was so excited. No changing pads every hour was great . November and December no menstal cycle . I went to the doc the end of dec for a hormone check and they say I'm premenopausal!! I'm 45 years old and was fine before this surgery , also vahimal dryness was immediate after surgery . I thought maybe that would get back to normal but it hasn't . Sorry to vent but I'm so upset right now. My obgyn is saying

The UFE has nothing to do with it but like I told her I wasn't premenopausal or had vaginal dryness. Ughhh again sorry to vent

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I read an article about how we have vaginal dryness.the menopause onset. Not sure. I had my UFE end of November 2016 . I'm still having some pain and have had two periods. But this week I'm bleeding g again this isn't my period though. The blood is thick this time I don't know if this is part of everything or not. Waiting for the doc appointment.

If I start menopause I'll be upset to. I just turned 46 and not ready for that.

• Posted

I just thought of something. Pre menopausal ? Did she say how long until your actually there? I was told that last year but also told I had 2-4 years before I'm in 100%. Hope this helps. PS: the surgeon that did my UFE told me to ask her the questions because there the doctors that know about fibroid's the most.

• Posted

Well I just had the surgery September 16 2016. She told me after a year of having no periods It would be full blown menopause. 😡 I had the hormone test Dec 20th and she called today and said I was premenopause so I assume the onset was November being I didn't

Have a cycle in November . So I'm

Confused how the heck I go from 0 to 10 so quickly. Also when I went to the doctor that did the UFE two weeks after that I had vaginal dryness and he said I could just be dehydrated 🙄. I knew something was wrong because this is not normal for me. I would have rather had the heavy bleeding because the fibroids the huge one for sure hasn't even shrunk.

• Posted

Have your thyroid checked. I was having menopause symptoms shortly after my surgery but after 7 months everything normalized. But also I found out during that time that I had hypothyroidism. Once I started the meds everything got very normal. No hot flashes or night sweats anymore.
    • Posted

I had that checked before the surgery and it was fine. So you're saying your menstrual cycle returned after 7 months? Thank you for responding .

• Posted

The first 7 months was basically the opposite of you. i bled a lot every day to some degree. It was brutally heavy most of the time and I thought the surgery failed. But suddenly it became normal right at 7 months. The interesting thing is the multiple changes during that time. My thyroid levels were low before the surgery. Shorty after, my levels became normal and this coincided with the menopause symptoms. Around 5 months my thyroid levels dropped again, the symptoms went away and two months later my period returned to normal as in before the fibroids. I think the surgery can mess with your hormones but the good news is that they can normalize with a little patience. Give out at least 6 to 9 months to stabilize
    • Posted

Thank you again so much, I feel a little better now after reading your response . Maybe I'm stressing too much about it but I think I am more upset than anything. Well the obgyn prescribed me some cream to try I really don't want any oral pills. I will keep you guys updated . Thank you so much again.

• Posted

My doctor told me for women in their 40s there is a risk of starting menopause earlier after UFE. I was having terrible night sweats before my procedure so I wasn't sure if I was already perimenopausal or not. After the procedure the night sweats and hot flashes decreased so I put the symptoms down to the fibroids.

• Posted

Hi Angel, thank you for replying to my

Comment . I don't have any not sweats or hot flashes. I haven't

Had a cycle in two months and Vaginal dryness. I have no desire at all for sex anymore but I still want to it's hard to explain. Now when I try with my husband it's awful and dry with lubricants. I think I'm just upset because I wasn't told and I didn't really research it like I should have. like

I said my stomach hasn't gone down or the fibroid so it wasn't worth it for me.

• Posted

My stomach remained swollen and my trouble with urination and defecation continued until after 7 months. Then it all went away.
    • Posted

Really ? I guess I'm asking for fast results then. But that's how it was presented to me. I think this is why I'm so upset about not seeing any progress and this diagnosis. Thank you for being patient with me and responding 😋 I will update you on my progress .

• Posted

Hi Pam, Yes, be patient.  The way it was presented to me left me believing most people had quick results, and when that was not happening for me, I found this place.  I haven't posted much lately, because I haven't had the need.  It has been a wonderful support group.  And now it's time I give back some of what I got. I found many others on this board for whom it took nearly a year for final results.  Honestly, there was only one poor lady that didn't seem to have anything good happening for her, but she's faded away now also. It will be one year on March 12 for me, and the last 3 cycles have been normal, like I haven't seen in 8 years!  But it took at least 7 months. During that 7 months it was all whacky.  Not even like it was getting a little better each month.  Just one month, seamingly out of no where, I got a normal cycle.  I didn't expect that to happen again, but it did.  And at the same time I noticed my swelling go down, and my evacuation issues disappear.  You have like a 95% chance of being happy, but it may take time. smile

• Posted

BTW-- There is a risk of early on-set menopause caused by the procedure, but if that happens, it will happen within a short time of the procedure.  It's not likely to happen several months down the road or longer. 

• Posted

My obgyn gave me a sample of estrate cream but the side effects are scary👀. I'm only suppose to use a pea size amount 3 times a week for 2 weeks for vaginal dryness . I think I will get a second opinion and use over the counter lube (sorry if TMI 😋wink

• Posted

Great news Deanna, (I remember you) I'm still deciding. Had UFE scheduled for 21.11.16 but radiologist (from where I was working) said he didnt want to do it as he thinks my fibroid is dying itself. So now I've come home seen my gyno had an MRI & am waiting for the results. XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.