Uterine fibroids

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need advice, was diagnozed with uterine fibroids last month and started zoladex first injection this month, three weeks ago. My periods has come and i'm on the 12th day it's not just drying up. What can i do? should i discontinue the treatment coz that's what i was planning to do actually and change doctors. I'm 33 and have only one child and my gyna is recommending a hysterectomy as i am anaemic but i still desire to get pregnant. Any advice on the zoladex treatment and the hysterectomy is most welcome.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had massive fibroids and was given zoladex for 3 months until I had my hysterectomy. I was also very anaemic.

in the first month I really got scared by how much I bled, including quite a lot of mucous, almost like an early miscarriage.

By the time I went for my second injection I had stopped bleeding, and in fact did not bleed again. I did have some hot flushes during the second and third months, but nothing unmanageable.

i believe that the blood loss was related to the fibroids breaking down, as within that month the size of my uterus went from being the equivalent of 7 months pregnant to 6. The effect of this was that I could have a horizontal cut instead of a vertical cut to remove my uterus. Therefore for me it was very worthwhile.

I have had my hysterectomy, I am no longer anaemic, and I am physically feeling altogether better (nearly 12 weeks on).

However I am aware that I am 50 and have had my children, so did not feel any sense of loss from the hysterectomy, it was just positive.

I hope this helps.

Sue

• Posted

Thanks Sue47217 for the encouragement. I've been reading side effects of having a hysterectomy and i'm scared plus i am still young but my partner is recommending it. My child is a teen and i need another.  Has anyone here ever had the fibroids growing back before they got pregnant again? Actually my uterus is large and i have already miscarried but i have hopes to get another kid. Any advice?
  • Posted

All I can add is that I was very happy to have a problematic uterus removed, whereas for you this is different. However I would think about how much more physical discomfort you may have to manage, and maybe the medics need to help give you some probabilities of you having a successful pregnancy. If this is unlikely then maybe you do need to start letting go of this dream and moving on? I know how hard this is, but your health is important and you are very lucky...you have a child!

Good luck.

• Posted

You did not state how big is your fibroid but I don't think they have grown big since it was discovered only 3 months ago. I was diagnosed after my first delivery. I had heavy bleedings but managed it until l got pregnant again, delivered and still had heavy n painful flows. If your flows can be manageable l advice you to hold on to the hysterectomy and try the baby you want. You are only 33 and l feel you can make it. My GP managed my bleeding and after 8yrs l had myomectomy. The fibroids reoccurred anyway but at least l have my children. All the best. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement edith88870, i didn't do an MRI to see just how big the fibroids are but they are several. I just did an ultrasound, maybe i should do an MRI to clearly see the size of them. My period normally lasts 7 days but since i was injected zoladex four weeks ago, i'm still wearing a sanitary towel to date, 15 days down the line in my cycle. I have an appointment with another gyna, i'll ask for another alternative solution to hysterectomy.
  • Posted

Hi there just want to say you should not feel pressured into a hysterectomy by anyone! It is your body and you're the one who will live with the consequences of that decision. Anyway I thought I'd mention that I am also anaemic and on zoladex. When I kept bleeding my gp prescribed tranexamic acid tablets and the bleeding faded away within 2 days. Also you can take iron supplements to help anaemia (although it does make you very constipated). My bloods have improved a lot since I started taking them a few months ago. I'm 34 and am taking zoladex in preparation of a myomectomy as I want to keep my fertility. It's true that fibroids may grow back but equally possible they won't, and I'm certainly going to take the chance because I feel much too young to lose my uterus. ....maybe a hyster is right for you, but only YOU should make the call, not your partner and not your gp. Really, hysterectomy should be a last resort. You can't put it back! Good luck dear, rosie
    • Posted

Thanks rosieposiepuddi, my sentiments exactly, i will not undergo the surgery, will have to find other ways. I take iron supplements but let me ask, are they the reason my period is heavy coz when i'm not taking them my flow is ok, when i do, it tripples...anyone with the same issue?
    • Posted

I doubt it is the iron supplements, it is usually prescribed to help women with anaemia and I wouldn't think they would do so if it were likely to cause more bleeding. It is most likely your fibroids or the zoladex causing unusual bleeding. I would ask your gp about tranexamic acid as it really helped me, and maybe get an MRI to see what really is going on. My MRI showed my uterus had been twisted out of shape and a fibroid had prolapsed into the birth canal, but they couldn't see that on the ultrasound. Then again, depending where u are in the world an MRI can be rather expensive. Personally I wouldn't give up the zoladex just yet, but do get some more medical advice on how to stop your bleeding.
  • Posted

Good Morning Everyone and thank you for your encouragement, I went to see another Gynacologist yesterday did another pelvic scan and found out that i have only one small fibroid and an almost non existent cyst at my cervix that my gyna told me will burst during intercourse. Unlike the first ultra sound i had with the previous doctor, the one for yesterday actually showed everything is ok, my uterus isof  normal length, the uterine walls are of the normal width and i can actually have babies. I will not need surgery. I give all the glory to God coz i really prayed and believed and asked my firends to pray for me. Prayer works. Hoping the one small one will also dissolve. I will not deny that maybe that one injection of zoladex may have made the other fibroids shed off and the remaining one to shrink, but all in all, my life is in no danger and i'm keeping my uterus. Glory to God.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.