Uterine Fibroids

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all hope everyone is well. I'm now 8 months post op and still look pregnant. If it hasn't gone down by 18jan 2017 I would need to consider a Hysterectomy which I don't want to do.

I wondered if there was a test that could be done to see if I am in early menopause. I don't have any symptoms except I get flushed when I'm hot but not hot flushes.. Periods still heavy and regular. I'm thinking that if I am then I don't need to wait long for my Fibroid to completely shrink. So will avoid unnecessary surgery. So wondered if anyone on here has ever been tested for perrimenopause without symptoms.

I'm still gonna ask for a Myomectomy but don't think that they will do it due to the fact that I am 50 years old in a few weeks. But if I can avoid surgery altogether that would be great. Thanks in advance.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I haven't done the operation yet, I am still on Esmya since April and my fibroid hasn't shrunck, it is 11 x 9x 7cm. I was really feeling bad bloated like 5 months preganant. I am slim by nature, but became massive and put on so much wait. I started getting vegan since May I lost about 8 kg since, my stomack has shrunck massively, I have a very small belly that you can only see it in the morning before I go to the toilet! I had an ultra sound three weeks ago and my fibroid hasn't shrunk., but I lost my preganacy look. As for your question, my gynacologist in Egypt told me that I can have a hormone test to know when the mompose will be. They do not do it here in the UK, or this what I have been told by the GP so it is worthwhile asking. I am 52 so am hoping that I start my menopose and I do not have to do any operations. I have to admit that I cheat sometimes and eat a bit of cheese every now and then with  a glass of wine! When I do that I get bloated again! But cheese is my very weak point,  I don't buy it but if it is there infront of me I take a small piece! all the best 

• Posted

Hi Patricia, I know what you mean by the pregnant look, I have put on so much weight in the last 12 months, can't shift it. And although my Bleeding has stopped ( don't know if it's menopause at last or if the DIM supplements are helping) my uterus doesn't seem any smaller, and is rock hard. A myomectomy was definitely not on the cards for me at 58. The trouble is, even if you are in perimenopause there's no telling how long that will last, mine has gone on for years. 

• Posted

Hi Patricia

I am 55 years old and my fibroids are huge is about 14cm. I am

on list of NHS for operation. I refused to do hysterectomy so I wilhave myo. It's your choice and nobody can force you. I looked pregnant as well but I lost more than stone.So now I don't look

so pregnant but my stomach is hard. You can do a test for

menopause. You have to ask GP. If it's help

• Posted

I'm 58 and had a myomectomy, so they still consider it. Not all fibroids shrink after menopause.

• Posted

Interesting to hear that from both of you. I live in Spain and the opinion of both gynaes I've seen was that I don't need any of those organs any more so of course they would remove them! I felt defeated and have not been back, the last gynae Put me on Esmya but this was supposed to be pre-surgery. 

• Posted

Yes, Esmya is meant to shrink fibroids for removal.  I was told also I don't need my uterus any longer but that does not mean I want to undergo a hysterectomy if I can avoid it, as that can cause problems too. I would only have this done as a last resort.  Hopefully won't reach that stage but am still having bleeding problems following myomectomy so not sure what is causing the bleeding now.  I am on HRT for arthritic bones flaring up after menopause and it has been a great help in relieving this but am going to try a gradual reduction of HRT to see if the bleeding stops.

• Posted

Yes it's a tricky situation as you don't want to be feeding your body more hormones yet Menopause causes it's own problems. Hope you sort it out soon.

• Posted

Thanks, hopefully after eliminating most things by 2 operations, we can move onto the next possibility which could be an 'excessively thin endometrium' due to severe lack of oestrogen.  It might be just a case of getting the right amount of hrt but as I am on the highest dose so far, I am trying to find a way to increase my oestrogen levels some other way. Best wishes to you toosmile

• Posted

If your fibroids are big they can continue to shrink up to 18 months post UAE, so you may still get more shrinkage. The best indicator of menopause is the age your mother's periods stopped. I had UAE in April 2015 and just had my lightest period in 10 years, so it took 18 months. I had a 6 month uterus, now about 14 week size.

• Posted

As "peruvian lily" stated. Your mother's age of menopause is supposed to be an indicator. My mother had a hysterectomy at a young age, so it's hard to tell. Her hot flashes began at around age 45, but my sisters and I are ages 46-53 and we all still have our cycles. So, who knows. I have multiple symptoms that indicate I'm perimenopausal, but it's been going on for years. There is a test that was suggested for me when I was trying to avoid any type of surgery. It's called an FSH. Your levels are supposed to determine if you're close to menopause. However, I don't think one test can make that determination, as hormone levels fluctuate.

• Posted

FSH is a good indicator of when you are in menopause ie your periods have stopped. Perimenopause can go on for 10 years. I had my FSH checked last year (I am 51) and it was 20.A friend age 43 had her's checked and it was also 20. She subsequently got pregnant and now has a 4 month old baby. I have had the odd hot flush for 5 years so am definitely perimenopausal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.