UTI again without me aware of it!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has it happened to anybody suffering from AV, I cannot tell if I am suffering a vaginal infection or UTI.  Usually they are found when the dr did a routine check up.  For years I have been suffering from this burning sensation and abdominal discomfort 24/7 at different intensity but it is still manageable as I declined using ovestin cream dr prescribed.  I have been having this burning sensation down below and abdominal discomfort and I did not think I had UTI as it does not burn when I urinate and I can hold my urine for 2 or 3 hours I do not have any urgency or passing small amount.  The urine flow seems to be good only sometimes I feel my bladder has not been emptied properly but I think this is due to may age I am 68.  I saw the nurse forsome blood tests and I just mentioned my problems down below and she sai to do a urine test.  To my surprise it came positive and was put on antibiotics for two weeks.  Being on antibiotics usually give me diarrhoea and thrush, I am on a no win situation.  Am I the only with this problem, it is so difficult when you cannot tell whether you have an infection or not as AV presents the same symptoms.  It seems sometimes that my vagina is on fire.  I am seeing a gynae but been booked for a hysterecopy for adenomas or fibroids they are not sure what they are as the MRI was not clear.  I am treading goong under GA again.  Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am struggling with exactly the same problems as you! It started with a UTI in June, and five lots of antibiotics and five lots of thrush later, I feel as though someone is sticking a hot poker up inside me!!(front and back).  I now have this feeling from the minute I wake up until the time I go to bed.  It is absolutely terrible.

I had a cystoscopy which revealed nothing, have seen two uro-gynaecologists, and now I wonder if I have pudendial neuralgia.  I have to have an MRI scan this week.  I can't function properly - I am so uncomfortable. I'm 53 and peri-menopausal.  I would be SO interested to hear what happens next for you.  (I no longer have the urgency and it turned out that I didn't have any infection after the intial one in June, although the GP gave me so many blasted antibiotics!).  Please keep me bulletined. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I really, really sympathise!  I can't sit on my bottom for any length of time - it's excrutiating!

• Posted

Very comforting to find out I am not on my own.  I have just found out after checking my medical records and test results that I do not suffer from any UTI.  Yet the GP prescribed me antibiotics for two weeks, not very happy.  The practice in my surgery is for nurse to check urine using a multistik and if protein is found to send urine to lab.  She did that yesterday and by chance when I check my test results noticed GP has left me a prescription.  I guess the lab report has now come and no culture is found. I have done my own testings twice at home and it was negative and usually if you have an infection you can tell by looking at the urine and I do drinlk loads of water. I am going to ring to find out that is happening and in the meantime I am not taking the antibiotics only took three but the burning is so uncomfortable esp if I am relaxing and doing nothing I feel it more if I am busy I do not notice it that much.  Do you know why you are having the MRI?I had mine as I had the occasional spotting and mentioned my problems to gynae and asked whether I have got AV she said probably yes.  Will keep you posted!!
  • Posted

I had preop urine test before posterior colporrhaphy ( op to repair rectocoele ) I have been on oestrogen pessaries for 9 months , since having a partner for several months & getting several vaginal bacterial infections , thrush then a UTI DEc/January. I am 57 & had menopause at 48 . The preop urine test came back positive & I got put on 2 antibiotics including Flagyl . I had no symptoms at all .

• Posted

I could not tell with mine because I either suffer from atrophic vaginitis or vulvodnia and the symptoms are similar to urine infection.You said you did not have any symptoms,  frequency or burning.  It is frightening if you have urine infection and not aware of it.  I am concerned whether if left untreated it can cause damage to kidneys.  I do feel a bit paranoid about asking for urine test every time I visit surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.