UTI/ cystitis - what to do now

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the last 2 years I have been suffering with recurrent UTI. I was having them at least every month. I saw my gp who referred me to urologist, who put me on 2 months of a low dose antibiotics, these worked completely and I did not suffer with a UTI. However a few days after I came of these I suffered with a UTI which didn't clear up for over 2 weeks with 2 courses of antibiotics. My urologist put me back on 2 more months of this low dose antibiotics. One month in and all was going well until I got another UTI whist on these antibiotics. I have the painful symptoms for 3 days now and I am reluctant to go to the doctors for antibiotics as I don't want to hav to reply on these. I have brought d mannose and been drinking adding that to a glass of water in the morning and evening but this does not seem to be helping. I hate these UTI, they get me down effecting my life as I am in so much pain. I hate to think I am going to sluffer for the rest of my life, but is this the reality that every week/ month I suffer for weeks my whole life? 

Does any body have any suggestions??

Also should I go to the doctor to get rid of this UTI or try and get rid of it on my own? 

Please help

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's horrendous Berry, but remember you are not on your own.. Have had Ur urine cultured when ur ill? D mannose will only work if tests prove it was an e coli infection.. If this is the case, see julie gees comments on disease.. If it's not E. coli .. You will be able to help your symptoms by taking allicin garlic capsules and a probiotic for women.. My advice would be to go to the doctors and find out what you are dealing with and take it from there.. I have had at least 2 attacks a year all my adult life.. I know how it can affect your life.. Get well soon xx
    • Posted

That should read see julie gees comment on doseage x
    • Posted

Hi joanna

previously my urine has showed ecoli but I think sometimes it has shown negative which doesn't help. I think I will get it dipped and sent to lab to see what it is. 

thank you for your reply, I am trying to look for preventative strategies as well for when I'm not on antibiotics!! Xx

• Posted

Definitely get a culture done Berry, do whatever it takes to get yourself well this time, once well you can research other ways to manage it.. Think the bugs get used to the antibiotics and come back stronger, so if you can look at another approach, that will help you.. Lots of valuable info on here.. Good luck, let us know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.