UTI infections

Posted , 10 users are following.

Are there any helpful remedies?Cant take cranberries or antibiotics because of taking warfarin as have AF and High BP

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, you poor thing. I used to get quite a few UTI's every year.

You say you can't take cranberries is that due to the warfarin? I take cranberry capsules one every day and since I've been taking them I've only had one infection. My gp says it's because the cranberry juice stops the germs sticking to the bladder. I find the juice too acidic and hate the taste, the capsules are fine.

I also have high bp, taking Candersarten for it.

I also use wet wipes after weeing, not rough tissue. Wiping front to back. If I feel I may be developing an infection I put a few drops of tea tree oil on it. It does sting a little but is antibacterial and cleaning.I buy the cheapest sensitive ones I can find, baby wipes are fine too .Do not use soap in that area or rub in shower gel. The best thing is to use just warm water with a wipe or cotton wool, every day.

A heaped teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda in water (or juice if you can't stand the taste) helps to calm the bladder down while you have an infection.Drink it once an hour or so.

Also cotton underwear is a good idea and not those stringy thong things that cut you in half(!). They increase the likleyhood of an infection. Drink a glass of plain water every hour while you have an infection, it helps to wash the germs away and clean the bladder/kidneys out.

If you wear jeans or trousers all the time you are more likely to get an infection. You need to get the air round you now and again, as sweaty jeans encourage the conditions for the germs to multiply.

UTI's are nasty things.

There's not much else except take the anti-biotics as soon as you think you have one, it can then stop it getting to be a more serious infection.

Hope I've been of help and good luck.

• Posted

Hi, I was interested to read bicarbonte of soda - a very old remedy. Another old fashioned one was drinking cream soda although I'm not sure if this is now available.

Mummybear

• Posted

Thanks but it is because I take warfarin that I musnt use cranberry products,also anti-biotics are given to me sometimes-they have to be careful with that too, again because of taking warfarin I have to have extra checks on warfarin levels and could be a problem. I tried the bicarbonate of soda as it was detailed in a daily paper but didnt find it very helpful. I have tried my friend's remedy of home made barley water,but again that doesnt clear the infection. I am on a course of antibiotics at the moment-they usually clear the infection but comes back approx 3 or 4 months later.I take all the procedures you mention-I use Andrex moist toilet wipes as they are flushable and baby wipes are not.I too take candarstan for high b.p

Mitzi

• Posted

Hello Mitzi, we can only try these things. The biggest thing is to drink loads of water to try and wash the germs out of the bladder.

I have had repeated UTI's for 40 years now. I have spent time in hospital (in the old days when they did that sort of thing!) for investigations as to why I kept getting them. In the end they decided because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis my lower than average immune system left me prone to them.

Last year I had 5 infections. I thought I'd got away with it this year taking the cranberry capsules and using the wipes but went down with one on the 26th Sept. Had the antibiotics, it seemed to clear up and today came back, so back on the anti-biotics. So I am not a happy or comfortable bunny at the moment.

However I will continue with the cranberry and clean regime in the hope that maybe I'll get a nice long break before one rears it's ugly head again.

So sorry about the warfarin, I know it affects all sorts of things. Perhaps you are also prone to UTI's because your immune system is affected by your condition.

Keep drinking loads of water every day. Cutting out caffeine is supposed to be good too and no fizzy drinks as they can irritate the bladder.

What a life.... best wishes to you, Fanny Jane.

• Posted

To Fanny Jane-

Thanks for your answer-helps to know that I'm not unique. I have had various tests at the hospital into the bladder and have all come back clear-so nothing to worry about really-just so uncomfortable and painful at times and a nuisance always having to have a toilet close by when I go out.!!

Mitzi

• Posted

Hi there, I am new on here.  I had an absolutely horrendous bout of UTI infection a month ago.  I have allways had cystitis for the past 30 years on and off and like a comment previously (in the old days) I went into hospital for endoscopy and cystoscopy, all clear.  I am able to manage it myself (sorry but the sex had to go - I know poor hubby but that made me ten times worse). 

But a month ago I went to the loo first thing in the morning and nearly fainted - it was more like peeing blood - not just a little - a hell of a lot!  Two hours later I was in the emergency docs with a sample to which my hubs nearly fainted - it looked like a glass of wine.  The doc said it was an UTI called Rose Wine Haematuria.  A 3 day course of antibios were given and he made an urgent 2 week referral for me to have an cystoscopy followed by CT scan.   Within days I received a reply for appointment for both.  All came back normal which I can't quite believe as the pain was really bad, the blood stopped tho, but the urge for the loo was sooo great that I even could not make it to the bathroom from the kitchen and promptly wet the floor which I was mortified about.  I tried to get rid of the infection with Bicarb and cranberry and water which I drink loads of every day anyway, but it was not having it this time.  Anyway the Antibios seemed to stop it and all pain went.

On having my cystoscopy the doctor permorning it said he could see I still had an infection and gave me a prescription for stronger antibios which I still have and did not take, I really don't want to go down that route if I can help it as my doctor years ago just kept giving me them all the time and my body got used to them and stopped working.  So I changed my diet and that worked much better for me. 

What I wanted to mention is that whilst at the hospital there were notices up on what to abvoid.  Fizzy drinks, caffeine, orange juice and also green tea and chocolate. 

Thanks for reading, great forum, now I'm off for another glass of water followed by cranberry.

Good Luck all - Gwen

• Posted

You really are not alone, when I went to get my anti-biotics this afternoon my usual chemist had run out, as there's been a run on them! I had to go into town to fill the prescription at a different chemist.

It is one of the sad facts that ladies are made in such a way as to make the transfer of germs very easy. Lucky old men... as usual.

I know all the loos for a 10 mile radius. One tip is that you can get a Radar key from the County Council. It opens all disabled loo's in the country. It's a huge thing but boy do I love it. It cost me £3.00 about 10 years ago. You could try ringing and asking about them. You have a genuine reason for needing one.

It may be worth a try.

Take care, Fanny Jane.

• Posted

Hi, I suffered for years with UTI's and cystitis. On, 'inspection', my bladder is badly scarred. I wa put on a low dose of antibiotics for 6 months and this worked, for me.

Remember to eat, live. natural yogurt when you do take antibiotics.

You might want to do some research on, colloidal silver. If you can't take antibiotics.

But, of course, you must talk it over with your GP.

ACV is also very good, 2 tablespoons, with a quarter of a teaspoon of bicarb. Let it fizz, then top up with water and drink, twice a day. Only drink filtered water, not straight from the tap.

ACV = Apple cider Vinegar. MUST be organic and have 'the Mother in'. From the health shop.

Don't use anything with perfume in. No bubble bath, etc etc. Only use white toilet paper, as the dye in coloured can affect you.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

But bicarb is alkaline, vinegar is acid, so they can't both be helpful (assuming ph has anything to do with it).  Can anyone solve this?
  • Posted

thanks 2357-not researched collodial silver yet,but will try the remedy you suggest with apple cider vinegar

as well as warfarin being a problem so too is the high b.pressure medication I take because it can change potassium levels. I have had a bladder internal examination(cysostcopy ) and they couldnt say there was anything wrong and cons said this is the case of 95%cases they examine-they cant find a reason.I am so tired I wake up between 3 an4 time s a night needing to wee!!!

Mitzi

• Posted

Hi Mitzi, Collodial silver is a natural antibiotic. So, you might be ok with that.

I'd suggest you do some research on earthclinic .com

It is a brilliant website

It also gives all the information on there about the apple cider vinegar.

Also, remember, after sex to get up straight away afterwards and go for a wee and douche.

Regards, Debs

• Posted

Hi,

I've had recurrent UTIs for 12 years, with a break of a year and a half after a kinesiologist sorted out my leaky gut and prolapsed transverse colon (was squashing my bladder so it would not empty properly and causing inflamation).  I'm having trouble again, but am getting sorted out.

In the meantime, I'm using Dmannose powder to prevent getting a UTI.  If I forget to take it and I do get a UTI, I use Dmannose to get rid.

Hope that helps.

Tab

• Posted

Have also found acupuncture can help with acute  severe pain. Am investigating whether a sacral stimulator may help [like a TENS pacemaker]
  • Posted

DManose is really good. They also have tons of herbal supplements for bladder and kidney. Just check out amazon, lucky vitamin sites.
  • Posted

Dmaose is good. Also research IC or Intersistial Cystitis. It can mimic a UTI and can be quite painful. Dietary changes help. Also being female it seems to be worse when I have my monthly cycle. I suspect a yeast infection. Which is also full of bad bacteria that can attack the bladder and cause infections. Some days being female is a blessing and a curse! Sigh. Hope you feel better soon.lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.