vaginal dryness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Vaginal dryness i am so confused should i go with vagifem which does work but i am so worried about the long term repercussions or do i go with more natural remedy which are safer but do not work as well. I still maintain nothing works as well as the vagifem so why do i not feel happy using it.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

It appears to me that phycologically you are beating yourself up because you are worried about the long term effects of vagifem. You have to really do your research and find other women who have used vagifem long term and see what they say about it. I cannot use HRT or anything that has estrogen in it because my mother is a breast cancer survivor.

I use the nature Vitimin E- 100 Iu capsuls. Two of them everynight, poke a hole in one end with a pin and then squeeze out all the gel and rub it around the prolapse and all up inside the walls of the vagina. If you are not allergic to Vitimin E it does wonders to heal and give you a soothing nice feeling. Hope you can hear from someone who has used vagifem long term to see what there experience is if thats what you need to keep using.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

Hi regarding the vit e..i just applied it more internally tonight..the e was fine but felt irritated from applying it..all i can think of is maybe my nail scratched me,or i just am so dry it hurt to apply it..maybe if i keep doing it though my skin wont be so sensitive?any advice?
  • Posted

Jackie:  I totally understand your feelings.  I use Vagifem too and it has really started to help me.  I use coconut oil internally as well - it has been more effective for me than Vitamin E oil.  I share your concerns about long term use.  In fact, today I was researching what foods will provide estrogen naturally  so that maybe I can transition to a more natural approach.  I think for the short term, I am going to continue the Vagifem.  Then I am going to be evaluated for the Mona Lisa laser treatment.  I work with a gal that is having it done and she has already noticed a difference with just the first treatment.  At least that is not a hormone replacement therapy.  I believe that all we can do is follow our instincts.  For the short term I think Vagifem is helping me.  Long term - no.  I don't want to do that.  Now my vaginal tissue is healing and I am feeling better.  The laser treatment will be my next "physician" related path.  In the meantime I will continue to use the coconut oil and eat well.  From reading online which foods provide estrogen I discovered that I eat them already, for the most part.  We are dealing with a baffling condition ... finding a path that helps is not easy.  But I think we can get through this.  With the help from all that post here - boy, what a blessing. 
    • Posted

Can i ask how long it took for the vagifem to help?
    • Posted

I hate honesty sometimes but can't be anything else. At least two months before I could say I am BETTER to myself. Then I tried the HRT cream because it was less costly and I went back to square one. Called the dr and back on Vagifem. It's been two months or so again and I am so much better. BUT I also take d-mannose daily to catch/stop any uti's ... Those caused so much pain and discomfort too. It is common for them to accompany va because the bladder muscles atrophy along with the vaginal walls and muscles. Dr told me that Vagifem helps muscle get stronger on both. Sure seems to help me. I still cannot engage in sexual activity. That may take longer I guess...despite Vagifem being HRT with risks, I could not live like that any longer. Dr assures me that dose is appropriate and ok for me at this point. I live day by day with va, as we all do. For now I am doing souchso better.
    • Posted

So glad to hear you are better.its also encouraging,ive ben so down.
  • Posted

Jackie, read the manufacturers site about vagifem, and make an informed decision if you want to use it.  But there are many other products available, from the natural simple things that are made to be used in the vagina, and the natural simple things that are made to be swallowed but also work well there, and the more complex products that are made to be used there, but I'd say google everything and then see what works for you.  Vaginal moisturisers are big business at the moment with a huge choice of products.  I did have endometrial cancer after the use of  vagifem.
    • Posted

Chris00938 - how long did you use the Vagifem?  I am soon to be 65 and all this just started happening to me about 6 months ago.  I am feeling my way along this process and want to be as informed as I can.  Do or did you have a history of cancer in your family?  I hope you don't mind my asking....cancer is not something we can affort to fool around with. 
    • Posted

My mother died from breast cancer but my GP told me vagifem wasn't absorbed into the system (you only need to look on their site to see it is) and there was no risk even though my mother died from breast cancer.  She had me on it for 16 months, six nights out of seven, every week.  She told me that she'd used the previous vagifem, before they lowered the dose, that was 50mg per week, with loads of people and never heard of a problem.  Vagifem lowered the dose because of the risk of endometrial canceer with those people who still had a uterus.  Obviously there is still a risk because they put up enough warnings about it.  I found to my cost, these warnings are not simply 'to cover themselves' but are there because it can happen.  My doctor didn't mention any alternatives at all!  They are only trained to think 'hormone treatment' I think.
    • Posted

I am so terribly sorry for all that you have been through.  My God, how irresponsible of your physician.  I've read the warnings and totally agree that they are there for a reason.  My obgyn said that at this low dose it should not be a danger.  Despite his assurances, and I believe he "believes" what he says, we do have to take responsibility for our health.  Read the information provided and make choices ... at least be as informed as you can be.  I wish I was only dealing with dryness.  My issues are much deeper than that.  Moisturizers do not help me at all.  I've ordered stuff from all over the planet!  I am so glad you have been willing to share a bit of your journey with this problem ... blessing to you Chris.
    • Posted

I'm OK though Pat.  I had a hysterectomy, and it was grade one, stage one, and although I have check ups, I don't dwell on it anymore (the hysterectomy was last November).  But you are so right that we have to take responsibility ourselves.  My issues are deeper too - I have three prolapses, but vagifem never actually helped me, whereas hyalaronic acid pessaries do.  But having said that, I'm always interested in alternatives and recently started using vagisil prohydrate wash which I'm VERY pleased with and so I've ordered their external moisturiser, to see what that's like and might then try their internal version.  I've also tried key E pessaries and they were good too.  But I think we all have different aspects of the problem.  I think acidity is relevant as well, and not really explored that well.  I started reading up on it and think perhaps whatever we use needs to retain or encourage the right acidity.  I hope you can find the right product though that will work for you, and if it does come down to vagifem then you know to be careful with it.  The biggest problem with it seems to be that they recommend it for the shortest possible time, but if it works for women, when they come off it, they're back to where they started.  It's fun, isn't it!
    • Posted

chris, I have been considering ordering some of the PH testing strips. Are you using them? If so what products are you using to adjust the levels when they are off? Many years ago a gynecologist gave me Acid-Gel but it didn't help much.
    • Posted

Sorry, just seen this on the web Beverly.  It didn't come through to me.  No, I hadn't even thought of using the strips!  What a good idea!  I have seen suggestions of using, I THINK (but I'd look it up again before doing it!) half vinegar and half water, and there were other suggestions too but I can't remember what they were!  I know there was something about some sort of acid 10% with water, but I'd have to google it again to find out.
    • Posted

Sorry to here if you problems. I too have been prescribed Vagifem 10mcg , started it on Monday ( this being my 6th day). Gynae told me to take it every day for 2 weeks and twice s week after that. I've been worried sick and went to 2 different doctors and asked them about it and they both said that its so low that it doesn't cause any problems. I also asked a few pharmacist and they said they same thing. My gynae only said I would be on it for a few months. I have had a total hysterectomy 3.5 years ago and they left my ovaries. I do have fibrocystic breasts but my gynae and the doctors said that is fine. I too I'm very scare. I want to see if I can use something more natural but I have to say I've noticed a different even in just 6 days. The big test will be when I try intercourse whether it hurts.

Sorry for long reply.

• Posted

Can i ask if everyone who has contributed so far is in America? Ive googled the mona lisa thing and it seems unavailable in the UK on the nhs anyway. I used Ovestin for about a year and then stopped for nine months -- big mistake it came back with a vengeance. Seeing my GP again next week as I don't want to carry on with hormones but I don't know what else to use. Does anyone know how expensive the mona lisa thing is please
    • Posted

I'm in the USA, Chicagoland area. The Mona Lisa laser treatment is about $1500 for 3 treatments. Then once a year at $500. Insurance does not cover it. But the vagifem is $140 for a month using twice a week. That adds up to a lot in a year too.
    • Posted

pat, I haven't checked with my doctor, but I thought another poster said the ML laser procedure was $3000. Could it vary that much I wonder?

Paranoia re the hormone creams seems to be running high and understandably so.

• Posted

That is what my coworker is paying. She said she called a number of places and this was the least expensive. I also heard it was up to $3000 ... I guess it can vary depending on the area or whatever.
    • Posted

Beverly, obviously personally I'd never recommend hormone cream but a lot of women DO use them and the vast majority are fine.  I think we just need an awareness about them that they aren't risk free and aren't meant for  long term use or high doses (and it does worry me to see that some GPs are suggesting pessaries AND cream for periods) but if we can find solutions without the risks they have to be better.  It just may be that some women won't be able to find other solutions though:-(  But the more information we share, the more options we find we have, which has to be good.
    • Posted

Yes, me too.

It may be of interest - today I got the vagisil prohydrate external gell and it really seems good.  I'm still using the prohydrate wash and it's the best I've found so far.  I was very sore from the attempted fitting of a pessary on Tuesday (turned out to be too big and blocked the urethra so had to come out again) but the combination of the wash and then the gell today has made a huge difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.