Vaginal hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had a vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair last week but my surgeons advice about not driving, working, flying etc for 6 weeks seems at odds with advice on other sites e.g. Royal College of Obstetrics which says 3 weeks. Does anyone know why there are such discrepancies?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

MY device was 6 weeks but not everyone is ready after that amount of time. But the best thing to do is contact your insurance company as lots won't cover you after surgery until 6 weeks any way. Hope this helps. X

• Posted

Thank you. I understand about lifting and carrying etc. I was just surprised it was 6 weeks off driving when it wasn't an abdominal hysterectomy.

• Posted

Yes there right you have to take it easy for a bit no heavy lifting or housework for a few weeks I had a aboinmal hysterectomy and had eight weeks off work
    • Posted

It's the repairs that will be the time thing as I was told the repairs was a bigger op than the vaginal hysterectomy. I had both together plus a tvt and I didn't drive for about 10-12 wks but that was my choice also as wasn't feeling ready. But everyone is different. Good luck with you recovery. X

• Posted

That reply was meant for Catherine not Caroline. Sorry I got confused. Haha. A side affect of my hrt I'm sure as I'm worse since op. Ha.

• Posted

I was advised 6 weeks for driving, I had vaginal Hyst, I believe it is also 6 weeks for work depending what you do, if heavy work then it may be advised that you take longer, flying I don't know about though sorry.

Phoebe

• Posted

Thats helpful as you had the same type of hysterectomy with similar advice. Thank you.
  • Posted

Well mine abnominal and i still couldn't do a whole lot even after 6 weeks but i was driving after 3. Just didn't go too far. I think it all depends on the person and your age cuz im 50 and still having troubles with pain here and there which is not like me. I use to bounce back from everything very quickly. I would just use your judgement and how you feel

• Posted

Not sure if you're in uk or not but in uk most car insurances would cover you after an op until 6 weeks. So always best to check before driving. Also if you needed to do an emergency stop you could cause injury to yourself if not healed properly.

• Posted

I also had vaginal and was told 6 weeks for everything, the driving Is to do with the pressure your putting on your pelvic area I drove at about 8 weeks but could have done earlier If needed to. You need to be more careful If you have had a repair I believe. Three weeks sounds very early. Good luck with your recovery xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.