Varicocele help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 32 and have discovered a possible varicocele vein on my right testicle. To be more precise I was aware of the discomfort over certain periods many years ago but thought it was normal and did not have it checked. The right testicle is significantly smaller than the left but don't have a "bunch" of worms as it describes but just one thick tube just above the testicle and is painful to the touch. This isnt the same on the other testicle. I'm due to visit my gp on monday morning to have it checked. If this is a varicocele, am I to old to have surgery to correct it? I am worried about fertility and my testoterone levels. I have also read that some gps dont prefer to operate but it gives me terrible discomfort in the groin area and is worse in the winter months. Any information would be great ty.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm 43 and I had a Varicocele surgically repaired 3 years ago. An incision is made above the groin and everything is taken out and the veins sealed off. There is swelling for a few days.

Don't worry about fertility it's not affected and you should wear tight fitting briefs(jockey)to hold everything up and ease the pain.

You should notice that the pain goes away if you lie down as the blood drains from the veins. It's a very common problem but most men don't talk about it.

Goog luck

PS if you think 32 is old you're nuts.

• Edited

Thanks for your reply. After checking it again (through worryand internet research) I'm starting to think it could be a epididymal blockage as I can't feel the bag of worms so much but more what is described as the former. I'm sure all will be put to rest tomorrow after the check. I had an infection when I was 23 and worried if it was caused by this. It was treated immediately but then I remember suffering with this before that happened. I just hope there is no permanent damage. Yes, I'm probably nuts thinking that btw, I am a medicated freak afterall. Thanks for clearing the age question out. N e epididymal information would help also.
  • Posted

Epididymitis is fully explained in wikipedia. It mentions infections from unprotected sex.

Be careful you need your tackle.

Wally

• Posted

Thanks Wally. It was a long time ago and had checks now and then and was always clear. Very careful since. I think the fact I never mentioned it to a gp could be because I've had it since I can remember and thought it was normal so it rules out the infection although it probably didn't help. Thanks again and for the information. All the best.
  • Posted

Had the check today and my GP suspects its an epididymal cyst so I'm due for a scan in the next few weeks. Ive read that they can possibly affect testoterone levels but my GP thinks it is not the case. He also thinks it should be left alone but I would rather it removed because it gives me discomfort. I've asked for my t levels checked also. I suffer from extreme fatigue a lot of the time, feeling run down and don't sleep very well. I take medication for depression but have tried a lot of different ones over the years as none seem to make much difference. Has anyone suffered with low t levels because of epididydal cysts? I've heard about the connection between that and depression. Obviously if the result are normal Ill bite the bullet but just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.
  • Posted

Go to the doctor and see what he or she has to say.  They will recommend the best course of action.  But I've read that Vitamin C is great for vein walls and circulation, so I use a penis health creme that contains C and have seen an improvement in my varicocele.  You might want to start using one of these cremes as well.  But definitely listen to your doctor.  Good luck.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.