Varicose vein treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can you give me some advice on different treatment methods and approx costs based on your experience. I have varicose veins on my legs that I would like concealing or removing.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Approx costs I can't help with as I got mine done on the NHS. I explained to my doctor that I feared the tiny veins showing near my ankle may possibly cause ulcers at some point (this had been explained to mine by a French surgeon I happened to meet on holiday) and the doc agreed this was reason enough to consider treatment. My consultant agreed with this but also explained that laser treatment may well be less invasive although he also said this was not without it's risks. I read a little about the foam method (essentially filling the veins with foam then tightly bandaging the leg to cause the veins to collapse at which point the foam sticks the side walls of the veins together - you thus end up with flat veins which do not bulge through the skin). I decided to go with the removal, or sometimes called stripping, of the veins. It was a simple day case. I attended the treatement centre at 8am and had the op under a general anisthetic at around 10am. My wife then collected me at around 3pm. I have had no more than slight discomfort with no pain to speak of which has surprised me! A huge bandage from my foot to groin area. Due at the docotor's surgery on Monday for the dressingsto be changed and then have to wear compression stocking during the day for a further three weeks. Not sure if this is much help!
    • Posted

I was just wondering, did they give you options of treatment?

I have a varicose vein I would like to sort and foam seems like the cheapest option. I may even do it privately.

Many Thanks

• Posted

I have had both the removal (stripping) - which I had done first and then laser treatment more recently. I developed v.veins when I was 16 and was told that if I had them removed so early it was possible they would come back. I had the operation when I was 19 and by the time I was 26 they had come back in the same leg but a diff part. The doc said the faulty valve hadnt been sorted properly the first time and so it had redirected somewhere else and thats why I was having the same issue in a new part of my leg. I then opted from laser as he said it was less intrusive and although it had some risks they were smaller than with the surgery. I found both methods have worked however I couldn't tell you the long term results for laser as it was only 6 months ago. I am hopeful that they won't return now though. Both on NHS. I had to fight them for it but if you persist and put a good case forward often they give in!!
    • Posted

Thank u so much for your reply, it was really interesting to read and has made me more determined to get them done xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.