Vasculitis effecting other organs

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 24 years old from San Antonio, Texas. I am graduating next month from bachelor nursing program when I noticed red spots/petechiae on my lower extremities. I had these spots for over 6 months but they were really minor so I thought it was probably allergic reaction to something. But recently, it started to spread more up towards my calves and thighs on both of my legs. I went to my school

clinic and they couldn't figure out what it was so they referred me to a dermatologist. She ordered lot of blood work like CBS, CMP, HIV, HEP C and also did a skin biopsy.The red spots don't itch, hurt nor am I swollen. As of right now, I am asymptomatic. All of the blood work came out negative except

for my urine test in which protein and blood were present. I went back to the dermatologist the

following and she did another biopsy to figure out what was causing vasculitis. She thinks it maybe

effecting my kidneys so I am being referred to the nephrologist next week. This has been really

frustrating and emotionally draining. I am trying to be patient and see what happens. I am an outdoor person and with two recent skin biopsies-- I am not able to run or swim like I used to do and they

maybe doing another biopsy for my kidneys. I hope Vasculitis is not effecting my kidneys or other

organs but will keep you guys updated. It seems like there are days where the red spots almost all of them go away and then there are days they appear out of no where.

Shahid Khan

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Good Morning Shahid ,

I feel for you, your fear of your kidneys being affected.  With all the labs you have had already, and n othing being indicated even in the slightest, I have a strong feeling that you are doing OK.

I am NOT a doctor, so..I can just talk from my experience. I have the Hyper Sensitive Vasculitis and just started low dose Prednisone therapy. I have had no more outbreaks/flares in a few months, though I am healing very, very slow. (the sores). I have had the sores for over a year now, from my right calf up to my outer thigh, my butt and back!! They are VERY painful, so I am on pain meds too. I started Lyrica 150mg 2x's a day, with Norco (5-325) 4-6 x's a day, and they help. Sometimes if I alternate the Norco with sim ple Ibuprofen 800mg, the pain is less.

I had labs for my kidney done again last week. I have never shown any signs of kidn ey problems. My liver has been compromised with HCV/Hepetitis C, though I went through Interferon with Ribavirin and Procrit was added, due to low red cells. The virus is non detectable now.   

I am concerned with the high protien in your urine being interpreted as a definite kidney issue , and I am praying it shows n o inflamation.

Huigs from San Diego, CA

• Posted

Hey mamaw, 

Thanks for your reply and you kind words. All of the of tests and biopsies came out negative. My second urinalysis was negative. It didn't have protein or blood in it. The Doctors think this may be something transiet but will continue to monitor my health. However, i still have breakouts on both of my lower leg and I have noticed that now they are getting itchy before, they were not itchy nor palpable. I am not taking any medication right now. I hope everything is well with you. 

• Posted

Great News!!!  I do hope that you get tested for Herpes Simples also..next time you have an outbreak..  Get to the doc and have the sore cultured.   I have both Herpes Simplex and Hypersensitivity Vasculitis,..ugh!!!    Take Care. M.
    • Posted

Hi - I saw your post on asking for Herpes test - I have herpes simplex 1- which I contacted 35 years ago and leukocyte vaculitis which I contacted a little over 1 year ago  - do you think the Herpes Simplex virus 1 may have something to do with the Vasculistis?
    • Posted

They may not be related, because Leukocytoclastic vaculitis is related more to other types of viral infections rather than herpes virus. 
    • Posted

Interesting, I have IgA vasculitis and herpes simplex too
  • Posted

Your having flares of what is called vasculitic episodes. 

How was the biopsy of the skin done.... immunofluorescence ?

If not, then biopsy results does not mean anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.