Vegan with IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had IBS for a number of years and eat alot of fruit and veg. Just lately my IBS has got worse to the point of severe abdominal pains and bloating. If I have to cut out fruit and veg i'm not left with much of a variety to eat. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jewish Princess68

I doubt very much if the fruit and veg causes you any bloating or pain, the bloating could be any number of things, Fruit and veg and brown rice combined is a really good recipe for healthy eating, along with lots of water.. 

Certainly woudn't stop eating fruit and veg.....!!

• Posted

The evidence seems to be against the fruit and veg diet.

It all depends on what fruit and what veg.   For example apples and pears sound healthy but possibly not to an ibs victim.   Among veges are things like onion, garlic and brocolli.

These are just examples and if you have an ibs problem it would be well worth yourm time to investigate the Monash University FODMAP diet.  The diet is designed for ibs sufferers and in many people it provides total relief by identifying certain foods that your body is incompatible with.  There are details in the discussion in the restless legs syndrome section under the heading Diet and Restless legs.  

• Posted

As there is ''No cure'' for IBS anything that relieves the symptoms is fine, different things work for different people, ''Suck it and see'' comes to mind. Saying fruit and veg and brown rice and water is good for you ''Really is'' but it's up to the individual to choose what exactly they eat out of that category... 
  • Posted

I had bloating and started to drink lemon juice with some water to reduce it a bit also green tea should help, everyone is different tho what works for one doesnt always work for another but anything is worth a try see if it helps.
    • Posted

Totally correct Christine, we are not all the same, ginger also helps boiled and drink it that way, hypnosis helps too, cos a lot of IBS is stress related, deep breathing exercises and exercise helps... and most of all drinking plenty of water...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.