Vegetarianism - any examples of benefits for HH sufferers?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was just wondering if any of the long-term sufferers on this forum have actually turned vegetarian or were already vegetarian and if this makes any difference at all to the symptoms?  I know that it would make absolutely no difference to whether or not you have the faulty genes but would eating no meat or perhaps eating just fish and chicken have any positive affect at all?

Many thanks!  And thank you for all of the VERY helpful advice so far xxx 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I found that simply cutting out red meat (ie beef and lamb and liver primarily. I never really ate stuff like venison anyway.) and simply eating fish and chicken helped a lot. I'm also aware that certain vegetables, for example, as everyone knows, spinach, contains a lot of iron, but it's worthwhile googling a list of veggies that contain iron. Vit C is worth avoiding because it helps you to metabolise the iron. If you don't have it, it can't do that job. Green tea is helpful, as it is something that people with anaemia should avoid, as it again is good for preventing iron from being metabolised. Have it with meals. I've brought my levels down from 200 to 170 simply by diet. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks, that does help.  Not a fan of green tea, although I've got some in the cupboard!  I'll give it another go :-)  I can't believe that I've actually taken liquid iron supplements over the years because I felt so tired at times.  At least I know, now!

That's wonderful news that diet can be so helpful :-)

• Posted

Check your local library (they can order in too) for a copy of Cheryl Garrison's "The Hemochromatosis Cookbook".  Not necessarily for the recipes but it has chapters on why a lot of foods containing iron are ok to eat and also tables of iron content of foods.  You will be very surprised.

• Posted

It's important to maintain a healthy diet.  I wouldn't go veggie because I've had low levels of Vitamins D and B12.  Although there can be lots of iron in certain vegetables like spinach, it is not necessarily easily absorbed by the body and worrying about your diet all the time doesn't help.  Don't eat too much of the obvious things like red meat and fortified foods.  You can't reduce your iron levels by diet, this is done through venesection and regular monitoring of iron levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.