vein.. or bruise?

Posted , 2 users are following.

my family has a history of bad veins. i started worrying about it when my left calf would burn/pulse severely after a long day out. it would usually go away after a good night's rest. i got a blood clot test for this done before and it came back clear, although its happened again (pretty badly) afterwards.i also get a lot of pulsing/twitching in my legs, left especially, while lying down--although i have anxiety and im aware that this is a symptom of many. ive been inactive for quite some time, not doing much physical activity although not sitting around for entire days either, so im a little worried. yesterday i noticed a tender spot on the back of my left thing, about the size of a penny. it hurts to touch, but it isnt an extreme pain. i thought that maybe it was a bruise so i left it alone but i still felt it today so i inspected it. the area that hurts looks like a small purple circle (kind of) at the end of a larger vein. i also have a green, flat, spot that does not hurt at all on the back of my knee area. very worried knowing that my my family has always had vein problems & my anxiety is taking it to another level.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Blue!

I, too, have a family (both sides!) with vein issues. My first time to notice them was after a volleyball game when I was 18. My legs felt very heavy and throbby. I took some aspirin which helped. Generally being on your feet a long time, jumping as in a volleyball game, or standing a long time without actually walking will cause the heavy, throbbing feeling.

Spider veins are another "joy" of having varicose veins. A new spider vein actually FEELS to me like I have been STUNG! I feel VERY HOT feeling in a specific concentrated area that takes awhile to stop.

Have you had any areas that feel like you may have been STUNG?

Do your legs feel heavy or throbby?

Hope this helps you figure out what is going on with your legs!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl smile

Thanks sooo much for answering. My legs feel heavy & throbby after long  days out & about. its usually not very bad, but every so often it does get there. and it also goes away with sleep. however right now, my leg feel normal besides the tender spot. they do kind of pulse or twitch when i lay down though (it feels like a liquid or something under the skin moves through quickly).

I've never felt like like I was stung and I don't think I've gotten very hot either! I did go to the  ER once though when the throbbing was that bad (I couldn't sleep and I was in tears), but he measured my pulse through my ankles and said that the absence of swelling and other symptoms meant that i didnt need further testing for a clot or anything else. he thought it may have been nerve related but i honestly have no idea. whenever my calf does throb, it usually throbs into the back of my calf into my lower thigh and ankle. luckily, it doesnt happen too often.

• Posted

That was a smart move to go to the ER when you did because severe pain CAN mean blood clot. Glad your pulse was normal in your leg and it did NOT indicate a blood clot!

I have felt that liquidy sensation, too! I had a vein ablation done in 2013 and got a chance to ask lots of questions about my veins. Apparently many of us have vein issues, and the big deal SEEMS to be incompetent VALVES in the veins which get stuck partially open and don't close properly. Blood pools in the legs rather than it all making it back to the heart. Poor circulation is often an issue also present. I'm thinking that liquidy sensation COULD BE blood leaking out of the valves. It feels very WEIRD!

Since my two TKRs (last June and last October) I haven't felt the trickle of liquid inside my legs. I also have had less throbbing of my varicose veins. Osteoarthritis is very strange and affects more than just the joints. Maybe by getting two new knees it helped my varicose vein issues!

I'd say keep paying attention to any severe pain, keep exercising (walking helps with most all varicose vein issues as well as circulation), and take a multivitamin with minerals to help with cramping or twitching. Bananas and making such you are getting enough salt on hot days is helpful as is drinking plenty of water.

I hope your bruises/ veins feel better with no more scary moments!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.