venlafaxine 225mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all jayne again ater citralopram 20/30/40mg went onto venlafaxine 75//150mg now been on 225mg for a week and today had complete melt down. last week when dr changed me to 225mg he refered me to a phyciatrist, has anyone had a meltdown on higher doses and can anyone explain why the phyciatrist, my dr said he thinks there is an underlying reason for my agitated depression and anxiey, how does the phyciatrist find this out, any advice would calm me down  I THINK , THANKS JAYNE

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's early days for the higher dose of venlafaxine, it could be a few weeks before you get the full benefit. I appreciate that's not what you want to hear at the moment, but I do understand because I've been there myself.

Depression and anxiety have their ups and downs, there will be good days and bad days as you gradually recover, it's a part of the illness. Try all you can to get through the bad times, do slow breathing, tell yourself to relax, ride it out, convince yourself it will pass, it won't last for ever. You CAN get through it, with the help of your doctor. The psychiatrist will have read the notes passed on from your doctor, so he will be up to speed on what's been happening.

This is the only advice I can give - get through one day at a time, even one hour at a time, and congratulate yourself for getting through. I do know how it feels.

I wish you well

Pixie

• Posted

Hi jayne03174, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling like this, I've been on citalopram as well (30) one year ago and now i'm taking venlafaxine (75mg). I'm also seeing someone for my depression, anxiety and stress issues. But I'm seeing a psychologist. Dunno if there is a major difference in approach but my psychologist tries to understand what's going through my head when I'm feeling depressed and anxious and tries I think, allow me to experience or 'see' my experiences with these differences in a different way. I think the psychiatrist is allowed to give you medication as well as providing you with talking therapies. It's not very specific but I think the general outline is more or less like this. Hope this sort of helps and perhaps downloading some calming, medidating apps? Personally, I like Headspace, Calm, and Pacifica. But these are my personal preferences. I really hope you'll feel better very soon because I know how it feels. 
  • Posted

Hi Jayne the physiatrist will just talk with you and ask questions about you and any past depression like when it started what happened/did anything happen to trigger your depression. Harmless stuff really so don't worry. I had a really bad time with ven but was on 375mg and thought it was working when in fact I had constant suicidal thoughts that led me down a very dark path. Ven works well for some people but I honestly would never touch it again, after having to go cold turkey in hospital. But saying that I've been off all medication for 4 months now and feel mentally stronger than I have in so many years. Take care of yourself and good luck with everything x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.