venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Been on venlafaxine for about 2wks and everything has been going well until yesterday when I suffered a panic attack. Today Ihave no energy, ccan't breathe properly and constant crying.

Has anyone else had this experience as I'm so worried now the meds aaren't working thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think your meds are working. They just help towards getting better. I've suffered depression for years but still have low mood days where I cry for nothing. I'd hang on in there. I'm sure it will improve.

Can I ask what mg your taking x

• Posted

Hi I'm on 75mg twice a day ,been on this amount for about a month after increasing them, maybe I need to increase a little more x
    • Posted

Possible. However I'd stay on the minimum mg as you can. Very hard to withdraw from this medication. Best of luck x
  • Posted

hello i have been on venlafaxine for about 3 months. im not one for crying infact have not since i was a kid im 30 now but since i been on a higher dose of venlafaxine 225 mg i have cried at leat 8 times it is strange for me but not for nothing it have had particularly bad nights. i also have a few few monents were i feel as though i could not breath and had to make an effot to do so.
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

The mental health profession has us believing that depression and anxiety are caused by a chemical brain imbalance which the meds "fix," but there has been no scientific evidence to support this hypothesis.  What happens when you first start takng the meds is that you're nervous system neurotransmitters are thrown into imbalance, and the side effects you are experiencing are due to this. It takes 4-6 weeks for the nervous system to adjust and adapt, restoring balance through adding or subtracting neuron receptors, essentially "remodeling,"   That is why everyone is enccouraged to hang in there, waiting for this adjustment to happen. 

This is why I think it is criminal for doctors to throw people on the higher doses right away or increase to the higher doses within that first four weeks, because it creates an even bigger imbalance that the nervous system then has to adapt to, with side effects being even greater because of it.

What dosage are you on?

Know that this is not "you," but side effects.  It is your choice whether you want to wait them out.  Or perhaps ask your doctor if you can go on a lower dose, but do so quickly because your system is in chaos but is desperately hustling to adjust, and you wouldn't want to lower the med at the point that your system has made a majority of the adjustment.

• Posted

Hi Betsy I'm on 75mg twice a day. I just dont understand how they can work for me for almost a month then out of the blue I have a panic attack and in fear of another one. Thought I had got over these feelings with the help of these meds! X
    • Posted

Two things. First, antidepressants take 6 to 8 weeks to work fully, so in fact you have been "lucky" to have felt the benefits in a few weeks. Secondly, recovery from depression and anxiety is rarely smooth, my psychiatrist warned me that it would be "2 steps forward and 1 step back" and you need to be prepared for the occasional off day - and the panic attack could be simply that. I've been mostly well on venlafaxine and mirtazapine for several years now, but I still have the occasional blip. I don't let it worry me, because that would just make me anxious again!
    • Posted

Was there a trigger for the panick attack or was it "organic," really related to nothing?  The nervous system is a tricky thing and there is so much inter-relatedness between various neuro chemicals, hormones, etc.  Changing serotonin is like bouncing one ping pong ball which hits others which hit others etc.  150 from the get go is a pretty big dose.  I would discuss this with your doctor.  And know it will pass as your brain continues to adjust.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.