Venlafaxine 75mg xr 8 weeks no change in how I feel

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I tried coming off 75mg cold turkey after a month use it lasted 4 day of feeling awesome. The withdrawal hit anc my therapist made. Me continue taking it . Sideeffect from day 1 to day 40 . 3 weeks of insomnia and muscle and joint pain. stomach feeling blah I had not been able to poop in 4 days it Caused me hemroids.since then I do not like to eat to much because it effects my taste and I get cramps . I now have to take a daily laxative.. I'm at day 41 right still feel anxious and having anxiety. Still having a hard time pooping and I'm getting side effects related to bedroom activities with my wife. . I go see my therapist she seems like she just want to push pill my way I was wondering any advice from long and short time user did you all feel this way are u still experience any side effects

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bigjoe

You have to always keep in mind that there is a reason why the therapist prescribed the pills in the first place. What is it that originally made you seek a therapist...? Not everyone needs medication, but when they are required, fighting it is counterproductive. Not sure what the case is with you. But, based on what you wrote, here is an alternative perspective for you to consider:

What you experienced is not a withdrawal per se. Sounds more like rebound. And also it sounds like the drug is not causing an imbalance, but addressing an imbalance.

Muscle and joint pain have nothing to do with the drug and everything to do with how tense you are.

You will experience issues with constipation as long as you are taking daily laxatives. Who advised this? The bowels will become lazy. This is very dangerous. One bout of constipation does not warrant daily use of laxatives even where hemmorhoids are present. It messes everything up. Increase liquid intake, eat soups, pears and prunes or whatever works for you and allow your intestines to regulate gently. Do not strain or force things.  

Constipation (or rather sluggish bowel movements) as caused by the drug should ease within 2-3 months max. Your body chemistry shifts to aid recovery and you are witholding 'waste' for longer for your body to absorb as many nutrients as possible. It is a sign of healing, not fault. Nausea or stomach discomfort will ease up when your bowel movements are a bit more regular.

Sexual side-effects are common at the start of therapy and should gradually ease up once you are adjusted to the medication and your body and mind begin to unwind. Dulling of sexual sensation and difficulty maintaining an erection or climaxing is common. It has a lot to do with the underlying condition. In those with anxiety it is particularly pronounced. And perfectly normal.

I always tell concerned guys to imagine being chased by a lion and while running getting an erection smile How useful would that be? And how distracting? Well, although there is no lion at your heel, your brain is convinced there is danger. Sexual sensations are therefore less than secondary for the system and become dulled or even turned off. With depression it is not much different. Just that there is no perceived threat but rather a letting go of all sensation. Therefore the sexual side-effects, although surfacing after starting drug therapy, are a symptom of the condition your body is in and not only a reaction to the drug.

Insomnia is the only part that should have been addressed by your therapist by providing a mild to moderate sleep aid to ensure your overall adjustment goes a bit more smoothly and your symptoms do not worsen on account of exhaustion. Perhaps there is a reason why they chose not to. This is between you and your doctor of course.

I wish you a fast recovery either on or off medication, as the case may be.

• Posted

I have a history agoraphobia and anxiety and panic attack my primary doctor recommended me to find a therapist. but ever since I started going there just been more pill prescribed than anything. i really just would like to talk someone more than anything. For laxative it called Metamucil its dietary fiber I should have said that in first place. I feel like im a zombie most day . Kinda numb mentally if it makes any since

• Posted

Ah, ok. How bad is your agoraphobia? Are there any places you are comfy with? And how frequent are your panic attacks and how persistent? Do you go through days of prolonged vulnerability or do you have an attack here and there and are more or less fine in between? Has there been increased stress in your life these last 3 months that caused an escalation? How is your overall health? Sorry for the interrogation smile

Great reat news that you had a responsible GP who realized the need to have you assessed and treated by a proper therapist without meddling with psychotropic drugs him/herself. So refreshing.

Honestly, you should be trusting your therapist that they are only prescribing something because they feel it is warranted and at the same time seek out or demand some counselling. You should really be allowed to have both in parallel to speed up and optimize your recovery. Medication is used to balance you out artificially until your system rests up and you unwind and in the process your coping skills are honed or exercised or rebooted. There is merit in medication and some can recover on their own without counselling. But most people only see real benefit when the two are combined. Any chance for having some counselling or at the very least some CBT as well?

As for feeling numb mentally...yup. That is unfortunately how it will be at first whether or not you proceed with medication. The only way for a supercharged reactive brain to unwind is to shut down partially. You are quite literally ill from stress and tension (cortisol and adrenalin are extremely taxing on the organism on prolonged basis) and it is unhealthy brain reactions making you this way. The drug helps induce a more thorough shut-down forcing the brain to release its grip. It is very very unsettling to the anxious mind to be forced to back off. It can be very frightening and frustrating and feel like a bad thing. Remember how you feel when you are ill with, say flu? This is exactly what happens when you start drugs, especially ones that work. You get weaker, heavier, maybe more irritable and anxious, sluggish, dopey, may get moodswings, altered sleep pattern, apetite changes. And so on...This is literally consistent with healing. Your body slows down whatever it can to gather energy to repair whatever most needs repairing. To aid in this you can have some vitamin B and omega 3 (as pure as possible). Eat light comforting and easy to digest foods. Drink soothing non-caffeinated beverages and enough water. I am a big proponent of chamomile tea. I feel it literally saved my life LOL. Go easy on vitamin C but do take some to help stimulate bowels by the way. Vitamin C can be a little anxiety inducing so start with 250mg and after a few days try pushing to 500mg. Do not go to 1000mg until your anxiety is a bit better. Spend time in the sun/daylight, agoraphobia permitting smile as much as possible. Do relaxing activities and choose company wisely. Treat yourself as if recovering from flu. This is what it takes. And practice trust and open communication with your doctor and therapist if possible. If you do not trust your therapist see if you can get another one somehow. More often than not, once you relax with them it gets better. And it does get better.

• Posted

When i say vitamin b i am referring to Vitamin b complex. It will be more beneficial than plain vitamin b12. the complex addresses various aspects of nerve damage caused by stress and wear and tear. x

• Posted

My agoraphobia was pretty bad but I did some CBt and learn to cope with it, in past 3 month it has been very stressful for me and my wife and kids
    • Posted

Hey. You speak lots of common sense. Can I ask you what dose of Venlafaxine you take?
    • Posted

Hi debra. None for the past 4 years. Was on it for a total of 12 years with two brief and arrogant discontinuations that ensured awful relapses. My therapeutic final dose was however 150mg XR which I took for 6 years followed by a 2 year taper.
  • Posted

Hiya Bigjoe. Are you still on 75mgs? If so reduce to 37.5 and take 3000mgs of Omega 3, 1 Vit B12, and a "Benadryl" or any antihistamine that contains Citirizine Hydrochloride. (£1 for 7 tabs in Poundland or £6 for 14 in Asda).

I have been on Venlafaxine for over 10 years as I could never withdraw from them. Since Nov 16 I have reduced from 187.5 to 37.5 with the help of these vitamins +1. I hardly notice the brain zaps, I have so much more energy and the antihistamine helps me sleep if I take one before going to bed. It seems unbelievable but try it. Please let me know how you get on. Your therapist appears to be ignorant to the problems with Venlafaxine. Show her this forum and show her how many people are struggling as opposed to feeling happy on it. good luck.  

• Posted

Hi Debra,

I'm still on the 75mg xr capsule . I just wish it was easy to get off of these .i will ask and try what you said thank u both for your input. 👊🤜😀

• Posted

Hi,

i don't agree with other comments that the constipation and other side effects will settle down as your body gets used to the Venlafaxine. I was on it, at various doses for 7 years and my constipation never went away until I came off it. I was sluggish, gained weight, mentally dull and constipated for the entire time I was on it.

the Ben did work wonders for my depression and got me over a very bad time in my life, but I came off it because I couldn't deal with the side effects anymore and I was mentally stable to enable me to withdraw.

whilst on the venlafaxine I took vitamins, omega 3, ate a very very healthy diet, drank loads of water but my bowels literally shut down. I took laxatives occasionally but could easily go 2 weeks without a bowel movement. And that's not normal. It poisons your body over time.

i don't think it's a coincidence that since coming off the venlafaxine I've been able to go to the toilet every single day and retain a healthy bowel. I havent changed my diet and I haven't stoped taking my supplements, so my assumption is that it was the venlafaxine that slowed down my digestive system.

since coming off it I've also recovered my libido and am mentally alert.

i wish I had never taken venlafaxine and dealt with my issues through counselling instead. But I know that's not for everyone and sometimes the meds are required for stabilisation. But I do know that I now feel much better, in terms of bodily functions, without it. 

Ive also lost over a stone in weight, am less bloated and have more energy. 

Hope this helps.

Liz

• Posted

Liz did it make ur stomach hurt I can barely eat somedays I don't . I have switch my diet to eating really healthy which is good for me but I don't wanna eat at all and I don't wanna do anything but sit still because I have zero energy

• Posted

No it didn't make my stomach hurt. I don't think so anyway. But I expect it affects people in different ways. My stomach hurt when I was constipated but then I expect everyone's does.

I was on the venlafaxine for so long, I got used to feeling ill and sluggish all the time.

Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.