Venlafaxine and nausea/acid reflux- Runner?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I've been taking venlafaxine for about 3 months. I was on 75mg for 2 months, which caused no side effects at all. There were no noticeable improvements so it was put up to 150mg and I've been on that dose for almost 4 weeks. Right from the first day, I started getting acid reflux and indigestion (which I've never had before). It did subside a bit after the first week, but it's definitely still there. There doesn't seem to be a particular pattern to it- it can come on at random times e.g. in the night, hours after eating.

I mentioned it to my psychiatrist last week and she said just to try and tolerate it. The only time it's particularly annoying is when I'm running. I run a few times a week, but ever since I've been on the 150mg dose, I've felt really nauseous when running. A bit worried because I'm going to be running a marathon in a few days time and I feel like it's going to mess that up. I thought it would have passed by now.

Has anyone else experienced this, particularly in relation to exercise? Is there anything over the counter you would recommend taking along with the venlafaxine? Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi do u take it in the morning or at night. I'm on the same dose take it around 9/10pm I feel a bit nausea but fine by the morning..
    • Posted

I take it around 8 or 9pm, just after dinner. If I'm running the next morning, or even the next evening at like 6pm, I'll still get the nausea and acid reflux- it comes in waves during the run. Even at a normally easy pace, it sometimes it makes me feel on the verge of throwing up as though I'd eaten just before the run, even if it had been several hours since lunch.

I'm young and have no physical health issues, and take no other medication, so it definitely seems to be the venlafaxine that's causing it.

• Posted

I wonder if it's just a coincidence but under your post about acid reflux and indigestion, there was an advert for Gaviscon, which treats indigestion and heartburn! That is available over the counter. I find Lanzoprazole good, it reduces the acid production in your stomach, at least I think that's how it works. I had it prescribed by my doctor, perhaps you could ask your doctor?
  • Posted

having taken the ven for the last years, i can certainly agree that it does give you acid reflux. if you dont like taking another tablet, like lansoprasole, perhaps try Apple cider Vinegar diluted with water first thing in the morning. It did help me to combat the acid reflux.Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.